Deep Inside



By Heather Martin



*You can lie to others. You can lie to yourself. But you can’t lie to your dreams .*



 


Spoilers- Grave



Disclaimer- Joss owns all the characters from Buffy TVS. The soul mate principle idea was taken from L.J. Smith’s book series called Night World.



Distribution- Sure, just ask



Summary- Anyone know what dissociative fugue amnesia is? Well, Spike develops such a case after his sudden shiny soul, along with the unexpected return of humanity. He just can’t cope, so he pretends to be somebody he‘s not. As for Buffy, she lies to herself that Spike’s absence hasn’t effected her. But at night, she cannot keep him out of her dreams. What will happen to these two lost souls? Will they ever find their way? And will it be together?



This occurs after Grave. The time between episodes are unclear. Pretend that everything after ‘As You Were ‘only spanned a couple weeks. If you think about it, that makes sense. Seeing Red, Villians, 2 to Go, and Grave all happened in a couple days.



 


 


 


Thank my friend Fate724 for this part. She helped me get my muse back. : )



Chapter 20



Buffy flipped through the pregnancy magazine. She stopped when she came to an article about the merits of breast feeding. It went on about how the baby was so much better off when it got the mother’s vitamins.



“This is taking too long,” Spike complained. He sat in a green chair next to hers. He shifted in the seat.



The slayer put down her reading material. Then she took Spike’s hand and entwined their fingers together.



“It will be worth the wait,” she assured him.



“Of course it will be worth the bloody wait. But meanwhile. . . “



“Buffy Summers,” the nurse called.



The couple stood up. Hand-in-hand they followed the dark-skinned woman. She led them to a sterile room with a bed and monitor. The nurse directed Buffy to lay down while she waited for the doctor.



Spike huffed. “More waiting.”



Buffy squeezed his hand and chuckled. He was so cute. She couldn’t believe how much she loved him. And it kept increasing everyday. Months ago, when she had been using him, seemed like another lifetime entirely.



It didn’t take long for the doctor to arrive. Her name was Dr. Stouffer. She was in her thirties, with short black hair. She greeted Buffy and Spike with a wide smile.



“Are you both ready for the show?” Dr. Stouffer asked.



With a twinkle in her eye, Buffy replied, “Most definitely.”



Buffy’s shirt was lifted. Her belly was only slightly rounded, not very noticeable at all. The ultrasound wasn’t necessary yet, but Buffy had wanted to see her baby. It was a miracle and she felt the need to witness it first-hand.



Cold gel was rubbed on her skin. The doctor took a probe and spread the substance over her stomach. Dr. Stouffer moved the instrument around until she found the target.



The mother-to-be watched the screen intently, looking for the slightest form of a baby. All she saw was gray designs that didn’t make any sense.



Dr. Stouffer pointed to a small blob. “There it is.”


“That’s it?” Spike asked with doubt.



“It’s still very small. But if you look closely you can make out the head.” The doctor indicated where it should be.



Buffy’s eyes stung. “Oh my God,” she murmured. “Oh my God.”



The slayer had never seen anything so beautiful. To others it probably would have been a figureless nothing, but to her it was everything.



“Would you like pictures to take home?” Dr. Stouffer questioned.



“Yes!” Buffy eagerly answered.



“At a later time we could do another ultrasound. More can be seen then. Do you want to schedule one?”



Buffy nodded.



She was given a towel to dry her stomach off. She left, holding the photos as if they were precious diamonds.



The parents were quiet on the way to the SUV. They were both submerged in their own thoughts.



Spike got behind the wheel, while Buffy settled on the passenger side. The bleach-blonde didn’t make any move to start the car.



“Are you all right, Spike?” Buffy asked, concerned.



“Can I see those pictures?” he inquired.



She gave him the pictures. He looked at them for a long time. Then he turned his face away.



“Spike?”



He slowly turned toward her. His blue eyes shined with tears.



“Oh, Spike.” Buffy cupped the side of his face.



“We made ‘er,” he choked.



Buffy smiled. She leaned forward and gave him a deep kiss.



* + * + * + *



The cloaked figure knelt before her, humbly. She stared at him with contempt.



“You failed,” she said.



“Yes, Medora,” the Eliminator replied.



“The ex-vampire lives.”



“Yes.”



Medora rose to her feet. She wore a long black dress, tightly molded to her form. She had flowing red hair that fell to her waist. She was exotically gorgeous, and lethal.



“I hired you for something gravely important. I thought I made that clear!”



“You did, my lady.”



“And still you fail!”



The Eliminator raised his head. “I drained the male as you asked. But still, he managed to survive.”



“I don’t care!” Medora shouted. “It is not acceptable.”



“They are extremely strong.”



“Yes. That is why I want them disposed of. They are strong. Especially when they are together.”



The witch stepped toward the reaper. “I’m going to have to do this on my own now.”



She put her hands on the sides of the Eliminator’s head. He struggled, but was too weak to escape. Even if he was not lacking energy from his encounter with Buffy and Spike, Medora would still have the advantage. She closed her eyes. Heat pulsated from her fingers. It spread into the Eliminator, catching him on fire. She moved away then, watching as he burnt up.



A new Eliminator would take his place. The hell dimension needed someone to do away with unwanted individuals.



Medora went back to her chair and sat down. Soulmates usually did not give her so much trouble. Yet, this Buffy and Spike wasn’t your typical couple. They were special. They were chosen to use their love against evil. And she was included in that cluster. She had to get rid of them before they got rid of her.



The only problem was that being together made them so damn powerful. They were destined to overcome everything that they encountered. If the Eliminator couldn’t do away with them . . .



Maybe killing them shouldn’t be the first step, Medora thought. Her lips rose into a sinister grin. Maybe splitting them up should be the first priority.



* + * + * + *



“Right there,” Buffy told her sister, pointing.



Dawn squinted. “Are you sure?”



“Yes,” Buffy insisted firmly.



Laughter came from the teen. “Sorry, Buffy, but I only see something that resembles an inkblot.”



The slayer withdrew the photograph. “Hey, that’s my baby you are making fun of!”



Dawn laughed some more. “I’m sorry,” she apologized. “I was just teasing. You have to admit it doesn’t look like much.”



“Well, no,” Buffy admitted. “But she is going to be cute. I can tell.”



“I’m sure she will be. All the Summers gals are.”



Just then Spike came into the room. He held a mug of steaming hot chocolate. He set his drink down on the coffee table and then went up to Buffy. He snaked his arms around her waist, sniffed her hair.



“And this is the cutest one of them all,” he remarked.



“Aw, thank you, honey. Will you still think that when I’m big and fat?” Buffy asked.



“Especially then.” He nibbled on the side of her neck.



“Ewww,” Dawn commented. “I’m leaving so you can have your make-out session alone.”



The youngest left, a secret smile on her face.



___________________________________________



I’m back, I promise. I had a massive amount of writer’s block, but it is gone now.