Author's Chapter Notes:
So...you don't like cliff-hangers, eh? Hehehehehe!
Chapter 6


“Quick, come on!”

Not needing to tell them twice, Gunn, Wesley and Giles managed to steer Spike and Angel out of the room and into the relative safety of the normally lit corridor, with Buffy leading the way.

“Bastards! Why were we so fucking STUPID AS TO WALK INTO THAT!”

“Recriminations later Spike, let’s get out of here first!”

Buffy stopped and motioned for everybody to halt, she flattened her back against the wall and everybody copied her. A ‘unit’ of soldiers ran by, at the end of the corridor in double quick time, luckily looking straight ahead so they remained unseen.

After they had passed, she beckoned for the others to follow again…

She turned left down a corridor, and risked a look through into the first door’s portal window. It looked like a changing room, with bench seats in the middle and lockers lining the walls. She tried the handle and the door opened.
Motioning with her head for them to follow Buffy went inside.

Once inside they shifted the benches to across the doorway, sat on them and turned the light off

“Right, now we must be quiet, first of all, babe, are you okay?”

“Yeah darlin’ – mad with myself though”

“Well never mind about that now, Angel, are you okay?”

“Fine…my left hand is-“

“Shush!”

Footfalls in the corridor suggested a least another unit of soldiers were running passed.

“Now, anybody got a torch, any one will do”

“Here, got a pen torch, will that do?” Gunn switched it on and handed it to Buffy

“Just press the top to switch on or off”

“Thanks, right I’m going to climb up there, and try and see where we are”

Buffy shone the pen torch at the wire mesh covered air vent on the wall

“Not on your own your not!”

“Yes on my own, we don’t want to make too much noise until we have an escape route, and I’ll make less noise on my own, I’ll be okay, I promise”

She clasped Spike’s hand in her own and gave it a squeeze.

The sound of more soldiers running passed and when they were gone, Buffy stood on the end of the bench, hoisted herself up on top of the bank of lockers and as quietly as she could, pulled at the fine wire mesh cover until if gave and came off.

“Be careful babe”

Easily crawling through the air vent, she held the pen torch in her mouth, but soon realised that she didn’t need it as there were lots of vents lining the walls, about every 10 yards or so, with light streaming in them.

Stopping to look through the first one, she saw a room identical to the one she’d just left the others in, a locker room.

The same went for the next two, but as she made her way along carefully to the fourth vent, she could hear talking as she neared.

Hardly daring to breathe, she crawled to the very edge of the vent and looked into the room.

It was a control room, with maps on the wall, she counted…eight computers, but only two were being used

“Robodier units Alpha and Omega to section 4G, commence with second wave of vampire clan destruction”

Buffy saw the door to the room open and went wide-eyed with shock and recognition, and then she was totally puzzled.

The woman in the lab coat was smiling to the man she’d held the door open for, and he too was a surprise for Buffy…or perhaps he wasn’t such a surprise after all…………

The woman leant on the desk of one of the computer operators, leaning over him and talking, but what she said Buffy couldn’t make out what she said.

A thunderous noise started up, and a flurry of dust as huge extractor fans to Buffy’s right began to turn. She felt her nose prickle and her eyes go gritty, and clamping her hand over her face so as not to sneeze and give the game away, Buffy decided to go back the way she came.


“Thank god! – Are you okay babe?”

“Yeah, I – ATISHOO! Shit! A-a-atishoo! Bloody dust, the extractor fans started up and –atishoo! You’ll NEVER guess whose – a-a-a-!” Giles quickly stood and clamped his hand over her mouth and nose, and Buffy went wide-eyed – but Giles had good reason, and they all heard a unit of soldiers run passed the room.

When they’d passed, Giles removed his hand, and Buffy found the urge to sneeze gone.

“So, are you going to tell us who’s behind all this?”

“You might know, bloody low-down, dirty two-timing creep he-“

Suddenly, they all heard a voice, coming from a small speaker on the wall, everybody turned and looked at it………

“Miss Buffy Summers, Rupert Giles, Wesley Wyndham Price, Charles Gunn, and the two hostile 17’s, kindly step away from the door of Locker Room 1. We know you are in there, and retaliation is futile, escape impossible. If you come out with your hands up, you will find to your advantage that we will treat you with the courtesy you expect. All we want is the two hostile 17’s, with you – your lives are not in danger – I repeat, your lives are not in danger, we only want the two hostile 17’s you have with you”

Angel and Spike exchanged a look

“What are going to do?” Wesley asked, with a pained look

“Up there, quickly, come on, it’s our only chance”

“But they said –“

“Never mind that, just go, - GO! Go on…get up here, put your foot in my cupped hands, and I’ll – “

“Oohh!” Buffy in her haste to get them all into the air vent practically threw Wesley up into it, but he quickly scrambled round in the mouth of the vent and helped Giles, and Gunn, while Spike and Angel held the door shut.

When the three were safely inside the vent, Buffy went over to the door

“Go on, now you two, and get ready to grab me”

Spike jumped from bench to locker top with ease, Giles helping him to slide into the vent head first, he scrambled round to help Angel.

Buffy was having a game holding the door closed; until she saw Spike’s head pop out of the vent

“Ready when you are kitten!”

Buffy leapt on the bench, did a quick handspring off the locker top and Spike caught her hands and pulled her through.

“Which way?” Wesley’s voice echoed and Giles pushed his shoulder towards the left hand turn, which Wesley took.

Quickly as they could, they crawled arm over arm until they came to a vent that had much wider mesh, and they could see into large ‘operations’ type room, with banks of computers. It was empty.

“Stop – lets kick it out………altogether, after three…1, 2, 3!”

The cover went flying off, and one by one they slipped down out of the vent to the floor.

“Why didn’t anybody follow us?” Gunn asked puzzled

“Never mind about that now – come on, lets get outta here!” Angel said.

“You never said who’s behind this!” Wesley said, turning towards Buffy.

“Didn’t I? – Oh – well it’s……………