Chapter 11 – Who Are You?


Laying with Spike on the lounge chair, Buffy enjoyed the simple act of kissing him, feeling like she was a teenager again while his hand ghosted over the soft swell of her breast, still bare from their earlier escapades.

Neither made a move to deepen the kiss or take things even further, enjoying the simplicity of the moment.

Pulling away after a moment, Buffy gave him a soft smile, becoming all too aware that she was still topless. “I should probably get dressed,” she said softly, smiling when Spike pouted. “Considering we just said we would take it slow…it would probably be a wise move.”

“Just thought you’d want to cool off,” he said with a grin. “Since I got you all hot.”

“Horrible pun,” Buffy replied, rolling her eyes as she sat up and reached for her bikini top. “And I think I’m cool enough.”

“Aww, come on…you know you want to be a little wetter,” he said, biting his bottom lip and giving her an evil smile while his arms wrapped around her waist.

Her eyes widened as she pulled back slightly to look at him. “Spike…no…NO!” she shrieked, giggling when he swung her onto his shoulder and ran over to the pool, tossing her in and laughing as her scream was swallowed by the sound of splashing water. Nearly doubled over when she resurfaced, sputtering and rubbing the water out of her eyes, Spike watched as she tried to compose herself, glaring at him.

“Cooled off, lamb?” he asked, renewing his laughter when her eyes narrowed on him.

Crossing her arms over her chest, Buffy continued to stare at him.

“Oh, come on, don’t tell me that wasn’t fun,” he said, smiling at her. “You’re not one of those women who can’t get their hair wet, are you?” he asked, raising an eyebrow when he saw her roll her eyes.

“Could you at least be a gentleman and hand me a towel?” she asked, waiting until he nodded before moving to the edge of the pool. Watching him walk back toward her with a fluffy white towel, Buffy offered him a slight smile, reaching up to accept it. “Thanks,” she said, jerking the towel until Spike fell into the pool.

Resurfacing the same way that Buffy did, Spike was greeted with her giggles when he turned to face her.

“That has to be the oldest trick in the book,” she said, her smile slowly fading when he moved toward her, pinning her to the side of the pool.

“That’s what I get for being nice?” he asked, his voice dropping to a seductive whisper.

“You should have known better,” she whispered with a coy smile, closing her eyes when his lips met hers in a tender kiss.

Reaching up to cup his cheek in one hand, the other held onto his shoulder, urging him to get closer as his tongue gently brushed against her bottom lip.

Nearly groaning when her tongue met his, Spike’s hands abandoned the wall of the pool, wrapping around her to pull her closer, feeling her hand against the back of his neck, holding him in place. Breaking away to breathe after a moment, their foreheads pressed together.

“Maybe we should get out,” Buffy said with a slight smile, waiting for Spike to nod before she left the comfortable water, shivering when the chilly air swept over her skin.

Crossing her arms over her chest, she heard the water rushing downward as Spike hoisted himself onto the side of the pool, turning to face him when he quickly jumped up and grabbed two towels.

Wrapping one around Buffy, he ran his hands up and down her arms, creating enough friction to warm her before wrapping the other around his waist.

Smiling when he immediately turned back to her, Buffy shivered once again, this time as a result of Spike’s caring attentiveness. Trembling when he pulled her into his arms, she rested her head against his chest, closing her eyes, trying not to focus on her tumultuous thoughts.

Who was the real Spike?

* * * * *

Dressed in jeans and a black t-shirt, Spike leaned against the doorframe, watching Buffy’s car drive away. Waiting until it was out of sight, he slowly turned away from the front door, kicking it shut as he walked away.

Climbing the stairs to the third floor, he walked to the back of the house, his good mood immediately fading, his face turning into a cold mask as he opened a door at the end of the hall.

“Well?” he asked, walking into the small room, his body language and demeanor immediately changing from the carefree man he’d been for the earlier part of the afternoon.

“Beautiful girl,” Ethan said, turning to face his employer as he looked away from the monitor. “Of course I told you that when I met her.”

“I’m not asking for your opinions on her looks… What do we know?” Spike asked, his voice cold and hard as he crossed his arms over his chest.

“Not much,” he replied, sitting back in his chair, tossing the surveillance photos on the table in front of Spike.

Seeing the pictures of Buffy spread out on the chaise lounge that was next to the pool as Spike continued to pleasure her, he raised an eyebrow. “Don’t rightly recall telling you that I needed any surveillance today.”

“A woman like that,” he said with a smile. “You know I can’t resist.”

Clenching his jaw, Spike stared at the man in front of him until his smile faded. “You’re going to resist,” he said in a low voice. “Touch her, and-”

“Relax,” Ethan said. “No plans for your precious girl.”

“Good to know. Cause I’d hate to have to hurt you.”

Noticeably swallowing, Ethan turned back to the computer screen. “Well, we don’t know much about this girl. Her story seems to check out…”

“But,” Spike prompted.

“But…that’s all it does- it checks out. There are no details after her college graduation. Basically, she’s an art dealer with a small list of clients; her mother died of complications with a brain tumor a year ago; father is nowhere to be found. She lives alone in a comfortable manner and doesn’t have any serious relationships.”

“Never?”

“A few boyfriends in high school,” he said with a slight shrug. “Nobody serious. There was one guy in college who she dated for several months, but he graduated and moved away. She didn’t want to move and stayed here.”

“So there are details up until she went to university?” Spike asked in confusion.

“That’s right.”

“Then…what does she do in her spare time?” he asked, talking to himself. “She’s an independent dealer with no office. She must have a lot of free time.”

“Look around her house,” Ethan said with a shrug. “Keep her occupied for a few hours, and I can make the rounds.”

“Like I want you going through her things,” Spike said, nearly rolling his eyes. “Keep an eye out for anything else,” he said after a moment. “I’ll look for the rest.”

Turning to walk out of the room, he stopped when he heard Ethan’s voice.

“There is one thing that I found particularly interesting,” he said, waiting until Spike turned to face him once again.

“What’s that?”

“The fact that she spent a good five minutes searching the pool house while you were outside waiting for her earlier today.”

“She what?” he asked softly.

“Went through all of the drawers, the closets, under the bed,” Ethan said, leaning back in his chair. “Now… I know women are curious by nature, but she looked like she was searching for something.”

“And your theory?” Spike asked, raising his eyebrow.

Ethan laughed, gesturing around the room. “Look around, Spike. Every piece of equipment in this room was purchased with stolen money. There is hardly a person you’ve met that you haven’t pissed off in one way or another and… I think you should be careful with this one.”

Spike watched as Ethan slid a thin folder across the table, toward him.

“There’s all the information I could get on her. I’ll keep looking.”

Picking up the file, he gave a slight nod before leaving the room. Walking through the empty house and into his office, he ran his hand over his face as he sat down at the mahogany desk, tossing the file onto the flat surface and staring at it for a long moment.

Finally opening the folder, he looked at the black and white photo that stared back at him. Seeing the small note on the bottom, ‘University of California, Sunnydale – Senior Year’, he stared at the smiling woman in the picture, trying to control his chaotic thoughts. Flipping through the stack of pictures and information, he soon turned to the pictures that had been taken that day.

Staring at the images of her face as her orgasm washed over her, he slowly continued through the stack of pictures, stopping at one of the two of them in the pool. The photo was a close-up, and Spike took a moment to admire the two of them together. Her body was practically crushed to his, her hands in his hair, pulling him closer while his hands were splayed across her back, holding her close.

He didn’t need to be a body language expert to see that she wasn’t faking her reaction to him. She was practically offering herself to him, daring him to take it and yet… there was something just a little bit off.

All of their interactions, all of their conversations, and he felt like she was holding back. Like she didn’t want to reveal too much. Like she couldn’t be herself.

Sitting back in his chair, Spike laid out her college picture next to the photo of them kissing, staring at the younger Buffy and the woman she was now, his eyebrows furrowing as he tried to work through his thoughts.

“Who are you?”




Thanks so much to: phantomwriter, Kimber, Brittany, spufette, Franchesca, jenny, Bint, Caitie, BuffyandSpikeForever, Sevvy_O, B, Tahmoe, Lindsay, caatje, willowmouse, Mariana, Crystal Pegasus, baby spikes & Cordykitten for reviewing!