Chapter 13 – Secrets & Lies


Buffy didn’t go directly to Spike’s after Riley left the next night. She knew that he was having her followed, and she wanted to prove to him that he didn’t own her. That she was the one thing in his life that he couldn’t control.

After dinner, a movie, and coffee at her house, Buffy had said good night to Riley, thanking him for a lovely evening.

Changing into a pair of khaki pants and a silky black shirt, she prepared to leave the house, pausing for a moment before reaching the door. Deciding to do something that she hadn’t done in weeks, Buffy walked to her safe, quickly spinning the combination.

Taking a deep breath, she pulled out the thick folder and stared at it for a moment. Finally opening the file that she hadn’t dared to look at since she started getting to know Spike, she took a deep breath, pulling out the information that she’d read on the day she’d been assigned to William Reed.

One of the most brutal businessmen in the world…a resourceful and cunning criminal…he doesn’t stop until everything in his path is neutralized…ruthless manipulator…very dangerous individual and a known, but not convicted, murderer…described as cold-blooded and unfeeling…

Skimming through the rest of the file, she finally closed it, letting her head fall into her hands as the stress of the situation began to catch up with her.

Running her hands down her face until they were folded under her chin, she took a few calming breaths, thinking about the man described in the file and the man she felt like she knew.

“Who are you?” she whispered, closing her eyes for a moment. “Who’s the real guy? Are they both fake?”

Growing frustrated that she didn’t have any answers for her questions, she finally stood up, collecting the file and putting it back in her safe. She was no closer to finding out anything real about this man than she was on the day she met him.

Giles would be calling for an update sometime in the next week- she was sure of that- and if she didn’t have anything resembling evidence, then he was certain to plant a live feed on her. In the beginning, that might have put her at ease, but at this stage of their…whatever it was that they were… Buffy knew that she wouldn’t feel safe or comfortable having a transmitter on her.

Pushing all thoughts out of her mind, she walked out of the front door, slipping on a light jacket as she got into her car.

* * * * *

“Mr. Reed is expecting you,” the employee said as he opened the door, causing Buffy to smile slightly.

“Of course he is,” she said, nearly rolling her eyes at the fact that he was probably getting hourly reports on her life.

Following the larger man through the house and into the spacious living room, she saw Spike standing behind the bar in the corner of the room. Watching the employee walk out of the room, shutting the door behind him, Buffy didn’t say a word as she shrugged out of her jacket, tossing it over one of the black leather couches that stood between the two of them.

Staring at him for a moment as he moved around behind the bar, she raised an eyebrow, determined not to talk first. A silent battle of wills that meant nothing in the grand scheme of things but seemed important at the moment.

“Have fun on your date?” he finally asked after a minute, pouring two drinks.

“As a matter of fact, I did,” she replied, not willing to give an inch while he crossed the room, offering her the crystal glass.

“That right?” he said with a slight smile, looking her up and down, pausing to admire the hint of cleavage that her shirt offered him.

“We’re going out again next week,” she said, lying easily, knowing that he had no way of knowing that she and Riley had decided to be just friends. She was perversely enjoying the fact that his eyes briefly widened, showing her a sliver of his true emotions before the calm mask fell into place.

“Maybe you are,” he said, taking a step forward and tilting his head to get a better look at her. “Or you might use that smart brain of yours and realize that Captain Cardboard isn’t the one for you.”

“And who would that be?” she asked, raising an eyebrow, enjoying the game they were playing a little too much. “You?”

Before Spike could answer, their gazes left each other at the sound of a loud knock on the door. Opening his mouth to reply, his eyes hardened when the door flew open, leaving one of his employees standing in front of him, a shocked expression on his face.

Not saying anything for a long moment, Spike waited until the man noticeably gulped before taking a few steps toward him, setting his glass on the closest available flat surface.

“What?” he asked in a cold voice.

“Ethan asked me to give this to you,” the man said, offering Spike the folder, wincing when the blonde snatched it out of his hand.

“Out.”

Buffy watched as the man practically ran from the room at Spike’s order before turning her gaze to him. Seeing the nervous way he was tapping the file against his palm, she decided to up the stakes. “Ethan?”

Spinning around to face her, Spike’s entire demeanor seemed to change. “What?” he asked in a soft voice, trying to appease whatever she was asking.

“He said ‘Ethan’,” Buffy said with a shrug, setting her drink down on an end table. “Thought you didn’t like Ethan, that’s all.”

“Never said I didn’t like him, lamb,” he said with a smile.

“Do you?”

“Well… no.”

Smiling in response, Buffy took a few steps forward, teasingly reaching for the folder. “It must be awfully important for the great and powerful Spike to be interrupted,” she teased, looking up at him when he held it out of her reach, an indifferent expression on his face. “Come on, Spike, gimme,” she said with a smile that soon faded when she saw his expression turn serious.

“‘Fraid I can’t do that, Goldilocks,” he said, turning away from her and walking over to a locked cabinet.

Seeing him take a key out of his pocket and unlock the door, Buffy walked over, making another attempt to teasingly snatch the folder from him.

“Leave it,” Spike said in a harsh tone, throwing the file in the cabinet and slamming the door shut.

Stunned into silence for a moment, Buffy quickly regained her composure, lifting her head defiantly.

“Wow, if I knew you were going to be such an asshole tonight, I wouldn’t have bothered,” she said, turning around and walking toward the door, grabbing her jacket on the way out.

“Buffy, wait,” he called after her, walking toward her when she turned around.

“For what?” she asked, folding her arms in front of her chest. “I’m sorry if I insulted you, Spike, but I guess I kind of figured that if it was anything serious, you wouldn’t be getting it in front of someone else. After all, what could be so important that you keep it hidden from the person that…whatever the hell it is that we are,” she finished, gesturing between them. “So what’s so important?” she asked, folding her arms around her jacket as she stared at him, hoping for any number of things, but she wasn’t sure if she wanted any response to be the truth.

“I can’t tell you,” he said softly. “It’s… It’s work-related.”

“Okay,” Buffy said with an understanding nod. “I can accept that. See you later, Spike,” she finished, turning toward the door.

“Did I ever tell you what I thought the very first time I saw you?”

Turning around in surprise at the abrupt change of topic and the fact that he was casually leaning against the back of the couch with his arms crossed over his chest, Buffy had to let a slight smile come over her face.

“You’re trying to keep me here,” she stated, her smile widening when he slowly raised an eyebrow.

“Is it working?” he asked with a smirk.

Tossing her jacket over a nearby chair, she crossed her own arms over her chest. “Maybe,” she murmured, tilting her head to study him. “So… what did you first think of me?”

“I thought… how fast can I get her in my bed.”

Buffy’s lips parted in surprise before a disbelieving laugh made its way to Spike’s ears.

“Do I get points for honesty?” he asked with a smile.

“Yeah,” Buffy said with a slight nod, closing the distance between them and letting her hands play along his stomach. “I’ll give you that,” she murmured, looking up until her lips were nearly brushing against his. “But that’s all you get,” she whispered, smiling when his eyes narrowed slightly.

“For now?” he asked in a hopeful tone.

“What did you think of me when you got to know me?” she asked, ignoring his question, smiling when Spike’s head snapped back in surprise before he quickly regained his composure.

“I thought… you’re amazing.”

Giving him a genuine smile, Buffy finally nodded in response to his previous question. “For now.”





Thanks so much to: spufette, H, DK, kelly, Pam, Abbyland, Franchesca, carrie, Kimber, gypsy_jin, Brittany, Mariana, jennybean, B, BuffyandSpikeForever, Cordykitten, baby spikes, Crystal Pegasus, caatje, willowmouse, spikes_niblet, spikegirl, Charlene, ChrissieLinnit, Caitie, Tahmoe, phantomwriter, & Sevvy_O for reviewing!