Chapter 19 – Rough Night


Opening her swollen eyes at the sound of the incessant ringing, Buffy glared at the phone for a moment. The last thing she remembered was crying.

For hours.

Realizing that she must have fallen asleep, she groggily sat up, reaching for the phone on her nightstand.

“Hello?”

“Buffy, it’s me.”

Hearing Giles’ voice ring out over the line, the sound of a loud engine muffling everything around him, Buffy sat up straighter, clutching the blanket to her chest as fear gripped her.

“Is it… is it done? Do you have him?”

“No. Something… something went wrong while we were up there. He obviously knew that something was different and… he didn’t try it, Buffy. Neither did Angelus.”

“So he’s… he’s been tipped off, we don’t know by who, and you don’t know where he is?” she asked, her voice reaching a frantic level as she scrambled out of bed, unable to sit still.

Listening to Giles confirm her suspicions, she paced through her bedroom, stopping to glance out of the window.

“We don’t really know where we stand, Buffy, but be on your guard. Even more so than normal, understand?”

“Yes, sir,” she murmured, glancing around the room, listening to every creak of her old house, her overactive imagination putting a story behind each one of them.

“Good... I’ll contact you when we know more. For now, just proceed with caution.”

“I will,” she said softly, hanging up the phone, the soft beep echoing through the room.

Staying where she was for a few moments, she tried to collect her thoughts. Jumping at the sound of the soft knock against the front door, she turned toward the door to her bedroom, having a silent debate with herself.

“You’re being ridiculous, Agent Summers,” she hissed at herself, walking toward the door, grabbing her satin robe on the way and securing it around her nightgown as she walked down the stairs.

Not bothering to turn on any lights, she threw open the front door, her eyes widening when she saw Spike.

“Hello, love,” he purred in a soothing tone, his voice practically caressing her overwrought nerves. Was his tone different? It sounded seductive, bordering on sinister, but she didn’t know if that was her imagination.

“You’re back,” she said with a slight smile, hugging her arms around her body and pulling her robe tighter.

“Didn’t take as long as I thought,” he replied in an unidentifiable voice. “Can I come in?”

Hearing a noticeable edge in his voice, she pasted a smile on her face, stepping aside to let him in.

“Sorry,” she said with a genuinely sheepish smile. “Knocking in the middle of the night, helpless girl- you know the drill.”

“You couldn’t be helpless if you tried,” he said, turning toward her with a smile.

Closing the door behind him, Buffy didn’t bother to look over her shoulder, knowing that she needed a moment to catch her breath.

“Still,” she said with a shrug, pretending to double-check the lock on the door before turning to face him. “Makes me nervous, this time of night.”

“Should I have called?” he asked, looking at her critically as he shrugged out of his coat.

“No,” she replied, shaking her head, practically feeling the tension crackling in the air.

Walking toward her, Buffy didn’t notice she was backing up until she was pressed against the door. Swallowing hard, she looked up at his face, tightening her jaw and silently yelling at herself for not turning on any lights. His eyes were layered in shadows, not letting her see anything.

“I guess we need to talk,” Buffy said softly, watching his distracted reaction.

“Mmm.”

“What’s wrong?” she asked, biting her lip at the breathless whisper.

“Why would anything be wrong?” he whispered, his hand gently tracing the sash of her robe. Loosening it until it fell away, parting the material with his finger, he smiled when she closed her eyes.

Tentatively lowering his lips to hers, Spike slowly let his hands slide along the satin material covering her stomach. Smiling against her lips when she arched against his touch, one of his hands traveled upward, barely brushing the side of her breast, causing a tiny whimper to escape her lips as he continued higher. Cupping her cheek in his hand, he continued the gentle play of his lips on hers before putting his hand on the back of her neck, pulling her more forcefully to him.

Buffy was a mass of contradicting emotions. Her body was practically calling for Spike to take her, while her mind told her to get away and stay as far away as possible.

Was he testing her?

If he was, she was either passing or failing miserably.

Swallowing her soft moan, Spike pressed her into the door with more strength than he needed to. Seeing her confused look when she pulled away from him for a moment, he quickly lifted her into his arms, pressing his lips to hers for another passionate kiss that had her head spinning.

Buffy could feel his fingers gently skimming along her body, shivering when they brushed against the bare skin of her thigh before disappearing beneath her nightgown.

Spike smiled when he discovered she wasn’t wearing anything underneath, not hesitating to push two fingers inside of her, watching her with interest when her back arched and she cried out in painful pleasure.

Some part of her brain realized that she shouldn’t be doing this, but that part was firmly locked away in the back corner of her mind. Buffy nearly sobbed when he began pumping his fingers into her at a rapid pace.

“Spike,” she whispered, squeezing her eyes shut against the conflicting emotions, her fingernails clawing into his shoulders. “Too much.”

Not listening to her, Spike merely used his thumb, putting pressure on her clit until she was screaming in ecstasy, whimpering when his ministrations continued as she came down from her orgasm, leaving her over-sensitized and confused. Struggling against him for a brief moment, her hand grasped his wrist, trying to force him away from her body, unable to let her brain comprehend what was happening in her weakened state.

Breathing a sigh of relief when he stopped, Buffy let her head fall to his shoulder, moving her legs to stand again, surprised when Spike held her in place, turning to carry her up the stairs.

“Spike?” she whispered breathlessly, raising her head to look at him, seeing a mask of calmness on his features. “What’s wrong?”

Not answering her, he entered her bedroom. Buffy watched as he lay her down on the bed, his hands immediately pushing the robe from her shoulders, watching it slide down her bronzed skin and settle on the comforter.

Forgetting everything that Giles had told her, she moved until the robe was successfully removed before reaching for the hem of her nightgown and dragging it over her head.

Spike watched, practically mesmerized as her body was exposed to his gaze, swallowing hard when she looked at him with eyes filled with lust and fear.

Running a hand through his hair, Spike exhaled heavily, obviously working through something as he turned away from her.

“Spike,” she murmured, biting her lip when he didn’t turn to face her. Breathing heavily to control her emotions, she slowly reached for her nightgown, battling the tears in her eyes. Jumping when she felt her wrist grabbed in an iron grip, Buffy looked up, seeing the confusion and desperation in Spike’s gaze as he stared at her.

‘Does he know?’ she wondered fearfully, swallowing hard as he searched her face. ‘No…no, he’s too calm to know. Something happened, something’s bothering him, but it’s not me…it can’t be.’

Letting go of her wrist, he stripped off his own clothes, pinning her to the bed with his body. Not making a move to take it any further, he continued to stare at her.

“You’re starting to scare me,” she whispered, trembling when he lowered his lips to hers in a gentle caress.

Puling away after a moment, he offered her a hesitant smile. “Sorry, love.”

Reaching up to trace the smooth lines in his face, she barely touched him, staring into his eyes. “What’s wrong?”

“Who are you?”

Buffy immediately tensed beneath him, nearly yelling at herself for her stupidity. She was trained not to be jumpy when confronted with a question like that.

Of course the training didn’t occur when a hot, naked man was on top of her, but she still should have known better.

“I’m me,” she said softly, hoping to distract him from the brief tension that had flowed through her body. “Nobody but me.”

Closing her eyes, her lips parted when he pushed into her in one thrust, his hips meeting hers, surprising her with the brutality of the moment. She didn’t know what to do- she didn’t know if Spike knew who she really was and was trying to prove a point or if he was trying find out who she was through intimacy.

“What do you want from me?” she whispered, trembling when his hips began rocking against hers, sending thrills shooting through both of them.

“You,” he murmured, pressing his lips to her neck. “All of you…do I have you, Buffy?”

Thrusting against him, she bit his shoulder, muffling a cry of pleasure as he continued to move against her.

Pulling away from her, Spike stared into her eyes, breathing heavily as he looked at her, letting his fingers thread through her hair, waiting for her answer. Looking into her eyes, he clenched his jaw before jerking her head to the side, seeing her wince in pain before she reopened her eyes to look at him with indignation on her features.

“Answer me,” he said a little louder, a hint of desperation in his voice. “Do I have you?”

“You could,” she whispered, not willing to give him more than that.

Apparently not satisfied with the answer, Spike nearly growled, bending lower to viciously bite the sensitive flesh of her throat.

Buffy’s eyes widened in shock seconds before her climax spiraled through her body. Screaming as stars seemed to burst in front of her eyes, she breathed heavily, her hips still moving with his until she wasn’t sure whether she was in agony or ecstasy.

Gritting her teeth when he pulled away and everything seemed to come back to her, Buffy soon realized she’d had enough. Angrily shoving his chest, she briefly closed her eyes when she caught him by surprise, causing him to roll off of her and separate himself from her body. Moving before he had a chance, she grasped his wrists in a strong grip, pinning them above his head as she straddled his waist.

Feeling his cock gently moving against her entrance, seeking her out, she slowly rolled her hips until he was inside of her once again.

“Is this what you want?” she asked, letting her anger win out, still scared and unsure of what was happening between them. “Does this make you feel good, Spike?”

She could see the same confusion mirrored in his eyes. Letting go of his wrists, she tried to fight the tears in her eyes.

“Who do you want, Spike?”

“You,” he rasped, gripping her hips in a firm hold.

“Me?” she asked, her voice cracking. “Do you want me…or am I just an available body?”

“You,” he repeated, a desperate note in his tone. Reaching up, he firmly grabbed her shoulders, pulling her closer to him.

“Who are you?” she whispered, feeling the tears stinging her eyes, wishing that he would tell her everything she wanted to know. Not just the truth. Everything.

“Yours,” he murmured, causing her to sit up, needing the distance in spite of the fact that they were still joined together.

“What do you want from m-me?” she asked in a shaky voice.

Sitting up, his arms banded around her body, pulling her as close to him as possible while he gently kissed her, running his hands along her back.

“Nothing,” he whispered, kissing the damaged skin of her throat, feeling remorse that he had caused that.

Moving more frantically against him, neither spoke, each getting lost in the feel of the other. Pulling Buffy close to him when she began trembling, he rhythmically pumped into her as her hips grinded against his.

“Come for me, love,” he whispered, feeling her hands grasp his shoulders, needing something to keep her grounded while she writhed on top of him.

Hearing the gasp that was ripped from her throat, he pulled back to watch her go over the edge, closing his eyes after a moment when her muscles clamped around him, causing him to pulse deep inside of her, clutching at her almost desperately.

Slowly coming down, Buffy gasped for air, trembling in his arms when he hesitantly lay down, pulling her with him.

Feeling the weight of what he’d just done, Spike closed his eyes, tangling a hand in her hair, trying to use her presence to keep calm. He could still feel her shaking against him, and it tore him apart to think that she might be scared of him.

Opening his mouth to speak, to apologize, to say anything, he stopped when he heard her soft voice.

“What happened, Spike?” she asked softly, unable to look into his eyes.

Taking a deep breath, he tried to distract himself, watching his hand glide along her skin. “I don’t know,” he whispered, seeing her uncertain gaze turn toward him. “Maybe I just wanted to prove that it was nothing,” he continued, his eyes widening when she sat up.

“You mean you wanted to prove that I was nothing,” she said, looking at him in disbelief.

“What? Buffy, no,” he said, shaking his head, breathing heavily when she swept her long hair away from her neck, showing him the ragged bite mark that he had just inflicted on her.

“Then what’s this?” she asked, tightening her lips when he avoided her eyes.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered. “I never meant to…”

Closing her eyes, Buffy rolled her shoulders, trying to work the tension out before coming to a decision. Slowly lowering her head back to his chest, she felt the sigh of relief that he exhaled, feeling her body against his once again.

“We’re okay?” he asked, looking at her with a hopeful expression.

“I think so,” she murmured, biting her lip as they lay in silence for a few more minutes, listening to the soft nighttime sounds coming from her window.

“Come over tomorrow night,” he whispered.

“What’s tomorrow?” she asked, feeling her breathing begin to return to normal as she ran her hand along his chest, cuddling closer to him.

“Business dinner,” he murmured, kissing the top of her head. “Incredibly dull- I’ll be ready to relax with my girl when it’s over.”

Looking up into his eyes for a long moment, Buffy seemed to study him before hesitantly nodding. “Okay,” she whispered, closing her eyes when he lowered his lips to hers, kissing her softly.





Thanks so much to: Cordykitten, Becky, Suzee, denise, BuffyandSpikeForever & everyone who originally reviewed this chapter!