Chapter 25 – Dangerous Love


Buffy nearly rolled her eyes as she walked into the lobby of the hotel and saw Wesley nervously pacing back and forth.

“Very low-key, Wes,” she said, walking past him toward the bank of elevators. “Let everyone know that you’re here and you’re obviously nervous about something.”

“You deviated from the plan, Bu- Liz,” he said, slipping into the name they had created for her for the job.

“I had to,” she said, angrily pressing the button for one of the elevators, taking out her aggression on it. “The situation was compromised.”

Walking into the elevator when it opened, she watched as Wesley followed her and hurriedly pushed the ‘door close’ button.

“You are to run all decisions through me before coming to a decision like that.”

“Give me a break, Sir,” she replied, trying to put enough respect in her voice to appease him. “I’ve been an agent long enough to know when something is dangerous, and trust me, that was dangerous.”

“What happened?” he finally asked, hearing the distant ping of the elevator doors opening.

“Spike was there,” she muttered under her breath, knowing that Wesley had caught her soft-spoken words when his head nearly snapped around to look at her.

“What?”

Quickly unlocking the door to her room, Buffy opened it wide enough to allow Wesley to enter, gesturing with her head. “In.”

Following closely behind him, she shut the door and immediately began pacing the room, trying to ignore the looks that Wesley was giving her. “It was too dangerous, Wes,” she finally said.

“I can understand that if William Reed made an appearance, it would be… difficult, at best, but I don’t see how you couldn’t just-”

“It’s more than that,” she interrupted, running her hands through her hair as she continued to walk around the room. “If Angelus had seen us, it would have compromised everything and… I’ll get another shot, Wesley. I promise.”

“I hope so,” he said, standing up. “I’ll call Giles and inform him. You need to get some rest.”

Buffy turned to look unseeingly out the window. Her mind not focused on what she was seeing, she fought the tears in her eyes. “I will later.”

“Buffy-”

“I need to work off some tension,” she said, stretching her arms to prove her point. “I’ll be down in the gym, if you need me.”

“Alright, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Hearing the distant sound of the door closing, Buffy took a deep breath, trying to control her chaotic emotions. Seeing Spike earlier that night had pushed her toward her breaking point. She hadn’t been prepared for him to appear out of nowhere. With a date.

Changing into a pair of shorts and a tank top, Buffy grabbed her key and pulled the door shut behind her when she left the room. Walking toward the elevator, she was about to walk to the door of the stairs when she heard the chime announcing the elevators arrival.

Briefly turning toward it, her eyes widened when she saw Angelus O’Neill and Marcus Hamilton lost in a discussion. Redirecting herself, she quickly walked toward the elevator, purposely running into Angelus.

“Oh, I’m so sorry,” Buffy said, her eyes wide as her hand covered her mouth in faux shock.

Looking at who had just bumped into him, Angelus paused for a moment before a smile played on his lips. “That’s alright,” he said in a smooth voice. “No hard feelings, Miss…?”

“Robertson,” Buffy filled in, giving him her mother’s maiden name. “Liz Robertson.”

Feeling her smile slip away when he took her hand in his and left a gentle kiss on it, Buffy tried to play it off as if she was flattered by his attention, instead of attempting to pull away for self-preservation.

Buffy could tell immediately that this would be a completely different experience than the one she had with Spike. He was obviously looking for someone he could control and not someone who would challenge him. There was a look in his eyes that made him more sinister, almost warning her to keep her distance.

And she was determined not to fall in love with him.

“Marcus Hamilton, Liz Robertson,” Angelus made the introductions, his eyes never leaving Buffy.

“Nice to meet you,” Hamilton said in a curt tone, obviously not caring if he met her or not. “Angel, we need to leave if we’re going to meet-”

“I think I’ll be missing that tonight,” he replied, interrupting the other man.

“Angel,” Hamilton continued in an irritated voice.

“Give them my regrets,” Angel said, looking at the taller man. “I’ll be escorting Miss Robertson wherever she needs to go.”

Buffy giggled, nearly cringing at how fake it sounded to her ears. Feeling his hand on the small of her back, she trained her body to quickly react to the touch, leaning toward him as he guided her into the elevator, ignoring Hamilton’s obvious annoyance that he had been brushed off so easily.

“Well, Miss Robertson,” Angel said with a voice that was obviously well-trained in the art of picking up women. “Where are we off to tonight?”

“A fun-filled night of going to the gym,” she said, playfully leaning against the wall of the elevator as she bit her lip.

“I think I’m a little overdressed,” he said, smirking at her. “But I wouldn’t mind watching you.”

Fighting every impulse that was telling her to kick him in the crotch, Buffy merely smiled, knowing that she would have to play this game very carefully.

* * * * *

“Did you see her?”

“Yeah,” Spike muttered, pulling at his necktie as he walked through the hotel room.

“And?”

“And… what?” he asked irritably, turning to face Ethan.

“Did you convince her?”

Gritting his teeth, Spike briefly looked up at the ceiling before his gaze traveled to the floor in frustration and ultimate acceptance as he sat down on the edge of the bed. “There was no way to convince her,” he finally said, ignoring the look of disbelief on Ethan’s face.

“Like hell there isn’t! She knows things, Spike. Things that I, myself, would have never let her get close enough to have access to. You have to do something permanent about the situation-”

“And what?” Spike asked, jumping up to face off with one of the few people he trusted. “What do you want me to do? Kill her? Threaten her?”

“Convince her.”

“She’s not going to help me with anything,” he growled. “She’s too good for that. We’re opposite in every way and-”

“And you’re exactly the same,” Ethan said, trying to make his employer see what he could see. “If she goes after Angelus and he convinces her-”

“If I couldn’t convince her, there’s no way he could,” Spike said, pressing his fingertips to the bridge of his nose as if he was trying to stop his migraine from spreading. “Give it up, old man. We’re not going to get her away from the Bureau, and there’s nothing else to it.”

“And you don’t care that she could be with Angelus right now?” Ethan asked, grasping at straws. “You don’t care that she could be sharing his bed-”

“Get out,” Spike said in a menacing voice, hating the visual that Ethan had put in his head.

“I’m just trying to put things in perspective for you, Spike.”

“Don’t need a perspective on anything, mate,” he said, walking toward the window. “I know what I’m doing.”

“I hope so,” Ethan replied, walking out of the room, leaving Spike alone with his thoughts.

Angrily cracking his neck when he heard the door shut, Spike stared at the view from the window, briefly wondering if what Ethan said could be true. Wondering if Buffy was really in Angelus’ bed by now.

“No,” he muttered, shaking his head to further convince himself. “She’s not that kind of…” Trailing off in a raspy whisper, Spike shut his eyes, pressing his forehead against the pane of glass as he took a deep breath. “She loves me.”





Thanks so much to: Megan, DK, Kimber, wikka tara, spufette, PK, Caitie, Cordykitten, willowmouse, Melissa, veronica, H, Jessica, Brittany, lacey, Bluebird, Becky, flibble, txjmfan, Franchesca, Tahmoe, Carri, 3988Akasha, Opal, Martine, Chelsea, BuffyandSpikeForever, B, baby spikes & Seether for reviewing!