Chapter 39 – Ain’t Love Grand


Loading the last of her suitcases into the trunk, Buffy sighed as she slammed it shut, staring at the car keys in her hand for a long moment before looking up at her house.

The movers were set to arrive later in the day to put her things in storage. Now, as the dark blue sky lightened to a hazy gray, casting the house in a mild silhouette, Buffy bit her lip, wondering if she was making the right decision. Was it worth it to start over? To leave everything behind?

“Buffy!”

Turning around in surprise at the sound of the voice, Buffy’s eyes widened when she saw him running toward her.

“What are you doing here?” she asked, glancing around. “Giles, it’s not even five in the morning.”

“I wanted to see you before you left,” he said, slightly winded from his jog from the car.

“Why?” she asked in surprise.

“To make sure you’re not making a mistake,” he said plainly.

“Giles-”

“Look Buffy, I know that you feel this is the right decision for you-”

“It is,” she insisted.

“-but I want you to realize what you’re giving up.”

“You’re talking about Spike, aren’t you?” she murmured, looking up at him with a sad expression.

“I don’t like him, Buffy,” he said quietly. “But anyone can see how he feels about you.”

“Never thought you would be the one to be pleading his case,” she muttered, looking at the ground for a moment. “I’m making the right decision, Giles,” she murmured, turning her eyes back to his. “The two of us… We don’t fit.”

“Well, I’m inclined to disagree with you,” he said with a smile. “But I know how stubborn you can be.”

Buffy smiled before checking her watch. “I better go.”

“Need a lift to the airport?”

“That would be great, but my car-”

“I can drive it there and then have it arranged to be moved to the storage facility.”

“Sounds like a better plan than long-term parking in the airport parking lot,” she replied. “Let’s go.”

* * * * *

Spike groaned as he rolled over, wincing when the sun streamed through the windows, hitting him in the eyes. Becoming all too aware of how cold he felt, he slowly turned to the other side of the bed, barely registering the fact that he noticed Buffy was gone.

Taking a deep breath to calm his nerves as he sat up, he frowned when he saw the folded note lying beside him. Opening it up, he tried to swallow the lump in his throat when he stared at her handwriting.

Spike,

I didn’t want to leave last night, please believe me. There are just some things that I have to do… and they don’t include you. I’m not saying this to be cruel or to make you angry, I’m saying it because we would never work. You know that. I love you so much. Please believe me. Everything I said last night was the truth. I’m leaving. Leaving town. I’ve already arranged everything and… I don’t plan on coming back. Thank you, Spike, for everything. For loving me, even when you didn’t have to… and letting me love you. Please don’t try to find me. We both know that we would never work.

Love Always,
Buffy



Spike closed his eyes when he finished reading, pinching the bridge of his nose to stop the pounding headache that was beginning to form. Throwing back the comforter on his bed, he angrily got to his feet. “Not that easy, love.”

* * * * *

Walking into FBI Headquarters, Spike took a deep breath. It had been years since he set foot in the building, and he wasn’t looking for a walk down memory lane. Making his way toward the back of the building, he managed to bypass everyone who looked like they planned on stopping him.

Stepping into Rupert Giles’ office as if it was his own, Spike crossed his arms over his chest, carefully sizing up the other man.

“How did you get in here?” Giles asked, getting to his feet.

“Used to be an agent, remember, Rupes? Not exactly hard to get into this building when you know how it works. You should look into that.”

“Yes, well, most of our former agents are not renowned criminals.”

“You say pot-a-to…”

“Why are you here?” Giles interrupted.

“Don’t play this game, Rupert. It’s not playing to your strengths. You know why I’m here.”

“I have a feeling the name ‘Buffy Summers’ is going to show up in this conversation.”

“When?” Spike asked, gritting his teeth.

“When what?” Giles replied, taking off his glasses in irritation.

“How long have you known that this was her plan?”

“Only a few days,” he said with a sigh. “She left a letter of resignation on my desk, saying that she wanted out of the Bureau. I only just talked to her about it last night, after Angelus died.”

“That’s why you pulled her aside?” Spike asked, looking at the floor. “I figured you were trying to steer her away from me. Wanting to talk some sense into her.”

“The thought crossed my mind,” he replied with a sigh. “But when Buffy sets her mind on something, nothing will steer her away from her goal.”

“What I love most about her,” he murmured with a slight smile, his features turning cold as he looked at the other man. “Where is she?”

“You honestly think I would volunteer that information?”

Spike sighed, sinking into the chair across from the older man, his hands folded in front of him. “Be straight with me, Giles,” he said quietly. “I need her… I hate that I need her,” he continued through gritted teeth. “But I do. Please tell me where she is.”

“I made a promise to her. I can’t tell you that information.” Giles sighed, watching Spike hang his head in defeat, briefly closing his eyes before continuing, “What has she always wanted to see?” he asked, seeing the confusion on the other man’s face as he raised his eyes from the floor.

“What?”

“She’s not just an agent,” Giles said quietly. “She’s not just some weapon that we threw at you to see if you’d come out swinging. You’ve gotten to know that girl, and in the time that you’ve known her… where would she go? She has the freedom and time to go out and do what she has always wanted to do… If you know that, if you know her, then you know the answer.”

Spike thought back for a moment, standing up to pace the room as flashes of his memory teased him with possible answers. His eyes widened as he remembered a particular conversation.

The Artist's Garden at Giverny. Nineteen years after he painted this one… I guess his work just had to mature some more.”

“Why that one, love?”

“Because it was a water garden- it gave everything such depth and richness. The way he painted them from overhead, intensifying the surroundings.”

“Ever seen it?”

“At the Musée d'Orsay in Paris? Not exactly in my budget.”


A slow smile spread across Spike’s lips as he clapped Giles on the shoulder. “Rupert, old man, you’re gonna be Best Man at my wedding.”

“Imagine what that means to me,” he said dryly, taking off his glasses to rub them with a soft cloth as Spike practically ran from the office. “And what will Ethan say?” he yelled after him, smiling when he heard the other man laugh before the door slammed. Shaking his head as he replaced his glasses, he couldn’t help but chuckle to himself. “Ain’t love grand.”







Thanks so much to: Liz, Franchesca, spuffette, Irishwoman39, 3988Akasha, Tahmoe, Cynthia, ChrissieLinnit, demona424, M, Camille, Annette, Whitelighter354, jt, Olivia-luv, Wikka Tara, Livia, Brittany, furvus, baby spikes, confused muse, Jessica, Cordykitten, Spuffy6, DK, Pam S, Dannii, blondiebear, H, kim, Raspy_Luv, phantomwriter, Forever Luv, becky, Opal, Chelsea, jennybean, Mockerfab4, jenny & flibble for reviewing!