Chapter 6 – Kids at Heart


“How’s your dinner?” Spike asked, tilting his head to look at her.

“Excellent,” she said, cutting into her filet mignon. “And I’m guessing you cooked the entire thing, am I right?” she asked, holding back the giggle as she took a sip of wine.

“You know it,” he replied, taking a bite of vegetables. “It’s one of my hidden talents.”

“So, have you ever actually cooked your own dinner?” she asked in amusement.

“Does ordering pizza count?”

“No,” she replied, shaking her head. “I guess that means I’m going to have to get you to cook, huh?”

“You’re offering?” he asked, raising an eyebrow, slightly surprised at the comment.

“If you wanted to,” Buffy said, shrugging as she became a little nervous with her abrupt invitation.

“When and where?” he asked with a smile, repeating the words she told him a few nights earlier.

“Whatever night is good for you and my house,” she replied. “I want you to get the full experience.”

“This oughtta be good,” Spike muttered, seeing her raise an eyebrow at him. Holding up his hands defensively, he shook his head. “Kidding, only kidding.”

“You better be,” she said, pointing her knife at him, a stern look on her face before she began giggling.

Eating in silence for a few more moments, Buffy looked up at him, tilting her head to study him. “Favorite color?” she asked, watching him look at her in surprise.

“Excuse me?”

“We have to go through all that ‘getting to know you’ crap, don’t we?” she asked, seeing him chuckle in response. “I repeat- favorite color?”

“Black,” Spike replied, looking at her as she rolled her eyes. “What?”

“It’s just so…blah,” she said, sticking out her tongue to indicate the distaste for his choice. “I mean, you couldn’t go with something a little better like yellow or purple?”

“Purple?” he asked indignantly, practically spitting out the word. “You do realize who you’re talking to, right?”

“A man who doesn’t like purple?” she replied, smiling slightly when he rolled his eyes.

“A man,” he said as if it was the most natural choice in the world.

“That’s no excuse. I know plenty of men who like purple. It just proves their masculinity.”

“Fine,” Spike muttered. “Red. That better?”

“Much,” Buffy replied, a satisfied look on her face as she took a bite.

“What about you?” he asked.

“I don’t know,” she said with a shrug, sitting back as she finished her meal. “Blue, maybe.”

Making small talk for the next twenty minutes, Buffy learned more about him but knew that it was too soon to venture into more personal territory.

“Ready for the rest of the tour?” Spike asked, getting up from his seat and walking over to pull her chair out for her.

“There’s more to this place?” she asked with a smile.

“Two more floors,” he replied, offering his arm to her, which she happily accepted.

“Lead the way.”

Paying careful attention to the layout of the house, she followed him up the stairs. Her eyes widened at the sight of the huge game-room that he led her to. Seeing the expensive pool table, big screen TV that was equipped with every electronic device and game system imaginable, and the authentic video games that looked like they belonged in an arcade, Buffy had to smile.

“Kid at heart?” she asked in amusement, walking a little further into the room.

“You could say that,” he said with a nod, grabbing a pool cue. “Feel up to a game?”

“Maybe,” she murmured, looking around the room before squealing at the sight on the far wall. “Ms. Pac-Man? Oh my God, I can’t believe you have that game!”

Spike had to laugh, watching her run over to the system and eagerly sit down in the seat. “Press the start button and play to your heart’s content.”

Turning to look at him with an appreciative smile, she shook her head. “Let’s play pool.”

“Buffy, it’s okay, if you want-”

“No,” she interrupted, shaking her head. “I think pool sounds like more fun. But I should warn you…I’m not very good.”

“Fair enough,” he said, tossing her a cue.

Leaning against the side of the table while he rolled up his sleeves, she unconsciously licked her lips, looking at the muscles that were exposed to her gaze. Feeling his eyes on her, Buffy looked up for a moment, catching the wink and smile that he gave her before turning his attention back to the table, preparing to break.

Breathing heavily, Buffy nearly yelled at herself for her irregular heartbeat and the way her stomach was flipping.

‘This is a job,’ she told herself. ‘It’s business…that’s all. You’re not supposed to have reactions that you can’t control. Level head- remember?’

All thoughts were soon forgotten as she watched him lean across the table, biting her lip as she watched his muscles flex subtly.

Barely noticing when it was her turn, Buffy shook her head to try and clear it before walking around the table to take her shot. Missing the pocket by a horrible margin and sinking the cue ball into the pocket, she turned back to Spike with a sheepish smile and a shrug. “Scratch.”

“Not your game, love?”

“Not really,” she replied, watching him take a few more shots, taking a step back to admire the rear view when he bent over the table. Raising an eyebrow in appreciation, she put an indifferent look on her face when he turned to face her, indicating that it was her turn.

Buffy walked to the side of the table, preparing to take her shot, stopping when she heard his voice.

“Just a second,” he said softly, leaning his cue stick against the wall and walking over to her. Wrapping his arms around her, he proceeded to show her the proper technique, smiling when she shivered against him. “Feel that?” he whispered, his breath caressing her cheek.

“I think so,” she murmured, biting her lip to keep from smiling as he helped her hit two balls into the pockets. Letting him help her for a little while longer, she finally straightened, turning to face him with a little hop. “Now let’s play.”

“You sure you’re ready?”

“Yep,” she said, smiling confidently.

“Alright, then,” he said softly. “I’ll go easy on you.”

Seeing the wink that he cast in her direction, Buffy merely raised an eyebrow, watching him rack the balls. “Do you want to break or should I?” he asked in an amused tone.

“I can do it,” Buffy said, walking around the table.

Looking away for a moment, Spike’s eyes widened when he heard the distinctive crack of the balls breaking, looking up in time to see three shooting into the corner pockets.

Biting her lip, Buffy merely shrugged. “Beginner’s luck,” she said softly.

Five minutes later, when she sunk the eight ball, she slowly turned to Spike, giving him a bright smile.

“Look what I did.”

“Still beginner’s luck, love?” he asked, raising an eyebrow in her direction.

“Well…I might have had just a little bit of practice, but how was I supposed to know I’d beat you?”

“Beat me?! Hustled me, is more like it,” Spike replied, obviously trying not to laugh at the fact that he fell for one of the oldest tricks in the book.

Tossing her cue stick to him, she smiled. “Be glad you weren’t playing for money.”

Pinning her against the table before she could move out of the way, Spike looked into her eyes.

“What?” she asked nervously, hating the tremor that threaded through her voice. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” he whispered, slowly lowering his head to hers. “Nothing at all.”

Closing her eyes when his lips brushed against hers in a tender caress, Buffy felt her stomach flip. Feeling his hands gently settle on her hips, grasping them gently, she couldn’t help but feel the underlying possessiveness that was intended. Wrapping her arms around his neck, pulling him closer to her, her knees began to grow weak.

Spike’s tongue gently slipped into her mouth, brushing against hers and eliciting a soft moan in response.

Realizing that things were spiraling out of control, Buffy put a hand against his chest, lightly pushing him away until their lips separated.

Pressing his forehead against hers, Spike seemed to be searching her eyes for something. Brushing his fingertips over her cheek, he offered her a soft smile.

“Stay the night,” he whispered, his lips barely ghosting over hers, mildly surprised when she pulled back with a slight smile, breaking the trance they seemed to be in.

“Am I staying in a guest room?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I was thinking of showing you where I sleep, Goldilocks,” he replied with a sexy smirk.

Running her hands along his stomach and chest, she tried not to think about the powerful muscles beneath the shirt as her hand moved even higher, up his neck until the back of her hand was gently grazing his cheek. Moving to close the distance between them, she brushed a tender kiss to his cheek, letting her breath caress his ear as she spoke.

“I don’t have one night stands,” she breathed, taking a step away in time to see his surprised expression. Turning around, she walked out of the room, making her way down the stairs, never looking back as she walked through the foyer and out the front door.

Breathing a sigh of relief when she walked outside, she briefly closed her eyes, inhaling the night air that hit her face. Unable to keep the satisfied grin off her face, she nearly giggled when she remembered the look on Spike’s face. She knew that if she’d stayed the night, the chances would not have been good that she would return to his house. Not to mention the fact that she really shouldn’t be having lusty-wrong feelings about a man she was assigned to bring down.

Challenging him practically guaranteed that he would come back for more…she hoped.



Thanks so much to: Tahmoe, Cordykitten, Alison, Mariana, Caitie, 3988Akasha, willowmouse, bint, lynn, Celia, BuffyandSpikeForever, Smitten, gypsy_jin, Livia, & caatje for reviewing!