Chapter 2 – Covert Conversation


“Don’t get caught,” Buffy muttered, slamming the door of her house later that day. “Easy for him to say.”

Shrugging out of her coat and dropping the file on Spike Reed onto a nearby table, she slowly walked through the house, tossing her keys on the kitchen island as she went over to the counter. Hitting the button for the answering machine, she thumbed through her mail, sorting out the bills as the messages began.

“Hey, Buff, it’s me.”

Buffy smiled at the sound of her best friend’s chipper tone.

“I feel like I haven’t seen you in months. Give me a call sometime soon before I get really worried about you. We’ll have to go out to lunch on a day that you’re not too busy with work. I miss you.”

“Miss you, too, Willow,” she said softly, flipping through her mail, making a mental note to call her friend as it clicked over to the next message.

“Just a reminder that you won’t be required to come into the office, Buffy. All dealings for the next transaction deal can be handled over the company cell phone.”

“Subtle, Giles,” she muttered. “Do you think that Reed has already tapped my phone?” she asked the empty house, ripping open an envelope and looking at the contents before tossing it onto the counter and starting on the next bill.

Her entire body seemed to paralyze when the machine clicked over to the next message.

“Miss Summers.”

Hearing Spike’s voice broadcasted through her kitchen, she reflexively gripped the countertop, unsure of what to make of this new development.

“Forgive the surprise of me calling, since you never actually gave me your number. What can I say? Couldn’t wait.”

The smile was obvious in his voice as Buffy turned toward the machine, staring at it as if Spike would materialize from it at any moment.

“You see, I know it’s late notice, but I’m having a dinner party tonight and would love it if you could make it. I trust that you still have my card…don’t hesitate to use it.”

The click of the phone sounded through the room, leaving Buffy to contemplate what he had just said. He had obviously called recently, since his message was after Giles’. She knew that her personal information was covered since the Bureau had been planning to infiltrate her into O’Neill’s life, if it had been at all possible, but that didn’t mean that Spike couldn’t have had her followed that morning.

What if he’d had her followed to work and now he was setting her up?

“Only one way to find out,” she whispered to herself, picking up the cordless phone and staring at it for a long moment.

She briefly considered calling Giles to get his opinion on the situation but decided against it. This was her first big case, and although it wasn’t exactly a solo mission, she would be doing it on her own. She couldn’t call her mentor every time something unnerved her. Especially considering this was her assignment and Spike was making it that much easier for her.

Dialing the number that she had memorized, Buffy listened to the ringing tone, biting her lip as she paced around her kitchen.

Reaching for the button to disconnect the call after several long moments, she stopped when she heard his voice.

“Hello?”

Opening her mouth, she prepared to say ‘Spike’, realizing that he hadn’t told her his nickname. “Mr. Reed,” she said after a moment, trying to keep her voice light, reminding herself that she was a federal agent.

“Miss Summers?” he replied in a pleased tone. “I trust that you’re calling to accept my invitation?”

“It’s Buffy. And you’re awfully sure of yourself, Mr. Reed,” she said softly, hearing him pacing along the floor.

“You don’t get where I am by being uncertain about things, Buffy,” he replied in a smug voice, her name practically rolling off his tongue. “My confidence and resolution is what got me here in the first place. And call me Spike.”

“Spike?” she repeated, feigning innocence.

“Nickname. Got it through some old business associates.”

‘I’ll bet,’ Buffy thought, biting her lip.

Inhaling softly to calm her nerves, she ran her hand along the countertop, trying to distract herself as she watched it glide along the tile. “Listen, Spike, about tonight-”

“I’ll have a limo pick you up at eight o’clock.”

Blinking in surprise, Buffy opened and closed her mouth several times to respond. “I didn’t exactly accept,” she finally said, a hint of irritation creeping into her voice.

“Why prolong the inevitable?” he asked with a smile in his tone.

Realizing that he was used to having women at his beck and call, Buffy finally relaxed, turning around to hop up on the counter as she realized how she could play this game. “Then I’m afraid I’m going to have to decline your offer, Mr. Reed,” she said, practically sensing his back straightening as the good humor in his tone vanished.

“Excuse me?”

“I’m not a one-night stand or a potential conquest. I’m afraid that I don’t like people making my decisions for me. Have a nice evening, Mr. Reed.”

Smiling when she heard him practically sputtering on the other end of the phone, Buffy tilted her head to the side, listening intently.

“Buffy, wait.”

“Waiting,” she replied, checking her nails.

“I’m sorry,” he said, sounding genuine for the first time. “I would appreciate it if you would be in attendance tonight, Miss Summers,” he continued, taking on a higher class British accent.

“Well, since you asked so nicely,” she said softly. “I guess that would be okay. And I told you to call me Buffy.”

“Sounds good, love. I’ll have a car for you at eight.”

“How do you know where I live?” she asked, knowing exactly how he knew.

“It’s my job.”

“Really?” she replied skeptically as if she had no idea who he was. “Interesting job.”

“You have no idea,” he said in a seductive whisper.

* * * * *

Standing in her room an hour later, Buffy studied the halter dress that accentuated all of her best assets. Looking at the plunging neckline, crimson silk, and flowing skirt as the fabric whispered along the floor, she continued to critique her appearance. Her hair was pulled back in an elegant twist, leaving a few face-framing pieces loose to complete the look.

Finishing the minor touch-ups on her make-up, she quickly slipped on her high-heeled sandals before walking to the closet.

Flipping through the contents for a moment, she smiled when she found the matching silk shawl, turning around to toss it on her bed. Picking out a purse, she glanced down at the floor before taking a deep breath. Gathering her dress and carefully dropping to her knees, she raised the false board at the bottom of the wardrobe, extracting the smallest gun she owned.

Quickly checking the bullets, she glanced longingly at the Heckler & Koch USP MATCH resting off to the side, debating for a moment before shaking her head. One gun was enough of a risk, and considering it was her first night discovering things about Spike, she couldn’t jeopardize her position by taking the heavier gun. It would come later, when she was more in her comfort zone around him and his home. Compensating for the smaller gun, she grabbed a switchblade and secured it in the lining of her purse.

Putting the gun in its sheath on her inner thigh, she let her dress fall back to the floor, turning every way imaginable to make sure that there were no noticeable lines that would indicate she was armed.

Satisfied that she wouldn’t be discovered and that she had proper protection if she was, Buffy slowly nodded as if she was giving her reflection courage.

“It’s show-time.”





Thanks so much to: lacey, flibble, BuffyandSpikeForever, gypsy_jin, Sevvy_O, willowmouse, & Carrosparro for reviewing!