Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for all of the reviews, everyone!:) I hope you enjoy this chapter, too!
The following day, Buffy returned to Colonial Williamsburg with her parents, seeing some of the stuff that they didn’t see the day before. She kept an eye out for Spike, hoping to come across him at some point.

‘For all I know, he has off today,’ she thought sadly, frowning. ‘I should’ve asked him last night.’

Suddenly, she saw two soldiers dragging a man towards the Town Square again and followed them. When she saw that it was Spike with them, she grinned and moved through the crowd so that she could see him. He spotted her and managed a small smirk before pretending to act again.

‘Yep, he’s definitely too hot to kill,’ she thought. ‘I don’t care if he’s a spy- he can spy on me all he wants.’ She giggled quietly and noticed a few people looking at her with raised eyebrows.

“Sorry, I just thought of something funny,” she said, quickly ducking her head.

“Or maybe it was from the look the spy just sent you,” a brunette woman suggested, smiling at her. Buffy returned the smile and looked at Spike once again. “Do they actually hang him?”

“I have no idea,” Buffy answered. “I was hoping to find out today.” The other woman laughed, and both watched as the two soldiers put the rope around his neck and tightened it. Buffy put a hand over her mouth as they dropped the plank beneath him, letting him fall, dangling from the rope attached to a tree branch. They dropped a sheet over everything, so Buffy snuck into the background and watched as they quickly moved the plank back in place, letting Spike stand on it and take the noose off. “Nice job.” He looked at her and grinned.

“Liked to see me hang, eh?” he joked, walking over to her. “Glad I could make you smile, luv.”

“You’ve gotten me to smile ever since we met,” she replied, and he leaned forward to kiss her, but she pushed him back lightly. “You’re all sweaty.”

“So what?” he pouted, and she giggled before letting him kiss her. “I needed a hello kiss- sorry.”

“Don’t ever apologize for kissing me,” she said, smirking. “So, how’s work going?”

“Pretty well,” he answered, wrapping his arm around her shoulders as they began to walk around. “I get to see you, so that’s a good thing.” She giggled. “Where are your parents?”

“Probably looking for me,” she answered. “I ran off when I saw you being taken here.” He chuckled and kissed her temple. “I should go find them, I guess.”

“Yeah,” he agreed. “I have to go pretend to sneak around and spy for another hour or so.” She smirked. “Are we still meeting tonight?” She nodded. “By the Capitol before the trial?”

“Yep,” she said, leaning over to kiss his cheek. “See you tonight.” He watched her walk away with a smile on his face.

“She’s a tourist?” his friend Alexander Harris asked, appearing beside him. “Seems like you dig her.”

“Yep,” Spike replied, tilting his head as she disappeared in a crowd of people. “She’s an amazing girl.”

“Oh, Spike’s in love,” his friend joked, and Spike playfully punched his arm.

“Come on, let’s get back to work,” he replied, walking away.

* * * * *

Around ten o’clock that night, Buffy was waiting by the gates for Spike, happy when her parents went into the Capitol building to get seats. She said she’d sit in the back, which they agreed to hesitantly, not quite understanding why.

‘They should believe that I’d rather be in the back, away from the screaming,’ she thought. ‘Who wants to have a woman scream her lungs out right next to you when she’s found guilty?’

“Hello, beautiful,” Spike said, walking towards her. She smiled at him, happy when he kissed her softly. “Want to head inside?” She nodded, and he took her hand in his, escorting her inside the building and onto a bench in the back, against the wall. She saw her parents and were thankful that they didn’t look back at them.

‘Because explaining Spike just wouldn’t be fun,’ she thought, smirking when he put his hand on her thigh.

“Hey- we’re in a public place,” she joked quietly, and he chuckled.

The doors flew open close by her, getting her to jump.

“It’s starting,” Spike said, wrapping his arm around her shoulders as two women were brought in, one blonde and one redhead. “That’s Willow and Tara- you’ll like them.” She watched as they were brought to the front of the courtroom, the presiding judge standing up to look at them. “And that’s Rupert Giles, a friend of my father.”

“We shall begin,” he said, his voice booming in the room. Buffy leaned into Spike’s side and sighed as the trial commenced.

* * * * *

“That was so interesting,” Buffy said as they exited the building, watching as her parents talked to the two acting witches. “Maybe I can meet them tomorrow?”

“Going to come out with me?” he asked, smiling. “Since it’s July 4th, and all?”

“I’d love to watch the fireworks with you,” she said. “My parents are going to watch the ones by Jamestown, but I can probably come up with an excuse to stay back in the hotel and then sneak here.”

“Such a stealthy girl you are,” he replied, kissing her softly.

“Well, I have to compete with you, Mr. Espionage,” she joked, getting him to chuckle. “I should go over to my parents.” He nodded and ran his hand down her arm, getting her to shiver a bit at the touch. “I’ll meet you here tomorrow night for the fireworks by the church, okay?”

“Sure,” he said, kissing her again. “Night, pet.” She walked away and quickly joined her parents, thankful they hadn’t seen her with Spike.

“Did you have a good time tonight?” Joyce asked Buffy, noticing the happy expression on her daughter’s face.

“Yep, I loved it,” she said sincerely, noticing the pleased look on her parents’ faces.

‘And if it wasn’t for him, this trip would be pretty damn boring,’ she thought as she walked with her parents to the car.