Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for reading; please review too though! Of course, huge thanks to my awesome beta Chelsea!
Chapter Five

Buffy was standing a few feet away from the dead body of her father. He was a man that had caused her so much pain and grief, yet she cried. Though the cry was not for her deceased father as much as it was for Spike and the trouble they could get into with the police.

“Oh god, Spike, we have to leave. Come on lets just go!” Buffy yelled out through her tears. Her father had chased her out into the road, had she not jumped in Spike’s car and distracted him from the road she would have been able to save them from charges for manslaughter. It was too late now though, someone had probably seen something happen and had called the cops.

“Shit! Shit!” Spike’s mind was whirling. He had just killed a man and he knew there was no way to get out of it. Hysteria was overcoming him; he felt he had almost no control left.

“Buffy, what happened before. Tell me before the cops get here!”

No response, she was now sitting on the road crying, sirens were getting louder and she too knew they were stuck, she just hoped the police would take enough pity on her and realize the terrible person her father really was.

“Mom, my mom! Oh god, I’ll have to call her.”

“Don’t worry about that right now. Buffy, what happened damn it!” It seemed as though he would never get an answer, but while he didn’t want to use force on her, he needed to know exactly what happened to make Buffy run earlier.

“I was only six years old, Spike,” Buffy said as she slowly calmed down. Spike looked down at her, for the first time Spike realized how young she really was. Things obviously had not been right with her father, and right now she really needed him. So he sat down next to her and placed an arm around her shoulders.

“It’s okay Buffy, I’ve got you.” He said in his most confident and warm voice.

“God, when I was six, my father had gone on a business trip somewhere for a week with a bunch of the guys he worked with. The night he came back my mom and I were sitting down watching television. It was late and we had already eaten dinner, figuring he would pick something up on his way home. But when he arrived home, he was drunk, said that there had been a lot of turbulence on the airplane so he had had a few drinks. When he realized that my mom hadn’t prepared a special dinner for him or even bothered to wait to eat with him, he got angry. First, he slapped my mother. She became scared and sent me to my room, telling me to lock the door; I was petrified.” Buffy paused for a moment, rethinking the past memories, “That’s when it started. He would come home late from work and slap around my mother. It was awful.”

“I’m so sorry pet. You don’t have to go on if you don’t want to, I think I get understand what you are saying. We could talk about it later.” Spike hugged her closer.

“No, you don’t; because I’m not finished yet.” Though it was said with a calm tone, Spike realized what she was about to say next would be even harder on her. He just hoped it wasn’t what he thought.

“One night, my father hit my mother so hard on her head that she fell unconscious. I had been peaking out of my room and saw it happen. I blindly ran over to her to help her, but my father stopped me, saying it was finally my turn. He… he stripped me of all my clothes and handcuffed me to his bed and felt me up with one hand and a beer in the other as he watched porn on the television. After several hours, he passed out. Soon after that my mother gained consciousness and ran over to me, un-cuffing me. She grabbed my clothes, packed a bag for us both and we fled.”

The police were arriving now and getting out of their cars. An officer was coming towards us, but we didn’t move from out places side by side on the road.

“My name is Detective Lockley. Can you please tell me what happened here?”

Buffy was the first to reply. “That’s my father. He chased me outside, I was scared so I jumped in Spike’s car since he was supposed to meet me at my place but when I got in I told him to drive so he turned to look at me for a second, the all the sudden my father was right in front of the car.”

“Okay, sir, you were the one driving the car? What’s your name and age?”

“Yes Detective. My name is William Giles and I’m twenty-one.” Spike said looking down at his feet.

“And miss…?”

“My name is Buffy Summers, I’m seventeen. The guy in the road is my father, Hank Summers.”

“You said he chased you right?” Detective Lockley questioned.

“Yes!” Though it may have seemed as if Buffy’s tone was to be cruel towards the detective, she was just scared. What did Hank mean when he said ‘It will never be over’? Possibilities raced through her mind, scaring her all the more.

“Mr. Giles,” Detective Lockley said “you will have to come down to the station with us tonight. Ms. Summers as of right now, you will just need to come with us to be questioned. Is your mother around?”

“No, she’s in England. She’ll be home in a few days I think.”

“Okay well, we’ll have to call her and you’ll be in jail with Mr. Giles until your mother comes to retrieve you. Mr. Giles, you may have to wait until this goes to court. Now if you can both come with me, I’ll take you there now.”

With that, Buffy and Spike were helped into the back of a police vehicle both handcuffed. Buffy was crying once again, and leaned her head down on Spike as they rode the rest of the way to the police station.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From the police station, Mrs. Summers was called. She did not get to speak to Buffy, but an officer told her of Buffy's story on how her father had come back and scared her, Buffy getting in the car with Spike, and the fact that they were now in jail. Mrs. Summers was not stupid, but there was one thing in all of this that she just couldn't figure out; who the hell is Spike?