Chapter Six

Recap: Buffy meets Spike, the pizza guy and they end up having sex the first night they meet. In the morning they talk and actually start developing feelings for each other. When Buffy’s father shows up unexpectedly, Buffy runs from him into Spike’s car as he is driving towards her house. As he is asking her what happens, Spike accidentally hits Mr. Summers and Hank dies. Buffy and Spike are now in jail and Buffy has just explained to Spike that her father raped her as a child. Mrs. Summers is on her way to the police station to get Buffy back. Now, on to the new stuff…





From the police station, Mrs. Summers was called. She did not get to speak to Buffy, but an officer told her of Buffy's story on how her father had come back and scared her, Buffy getting in the car with Spike, and the fact that they were now in jail. Mrs. Summers was not stupid, but there was one thing in all of this that she just couldn't figure out; who the hell is Spike?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The cell was cold, dirty. The walls were gray. Everything about the place was muggy and depressing. The cells were lined up in two rows, each filled with several occupants. Spike sat in the corner with Buffy on his lap, her eyes all red and puffy from crying. He tried his best to comfort her in hopes of having her explain her behavior and situation to him. He knew what had happened in the beginning of her life to lead them to the situation they were in now, jail, but Spike still felt as if he was missing a big piece of the Buffy-puzzle.

He put his arm around Buffy as he held her, tired from a long day.

“Buffy…? Are you ready to talk to me yet?” Spike nudged her slightly to get her attention.

Looking down, Buffy began to tell her story.

“I was only 6 years old Spike. After my mother and I fled, I was put into intensive therapy. I learned the workings of my father’s crazy mind and how the alcohol affected his ability to think. I was taught about the differences between sex and making love as well. Sex with someone you don’t love or even know well is meaningless, I was told. That’s why when I first saw you I wasn’t hesitant about having sex; I didn’t think it would mean anything. Then in the morning when we were talking, I really started liking you. My feelings towards you have only grown since then.”

Buffy looked directly into Spike’s blue pools and saw sadness and slight hope. Putting her head back on his chest, she continued.

“When my father showed up at the door earlier tonight, I panicked. I haven’t seen him since that night. Fear crept inside my body, even after years of learning how to deal with the trepidation he caused me. In a wild panic, I ran outside. You were the only person I could think of to protect me. And so when I saw your car, I was relieved, just not enough to make me completely calm down. William, I… I… think I’m falling in love with you.”

Spike stared back at Buffy then grabbed her by the shoulders, pulling her closer to him. Their lips captured each other’s in a passionate kiss. When they were out of breath, Spike pulled back saying, “I love you too.”

Buffy fell asleep in Spike’s arms that night. She was hesitant about her mother’s arrival and couldn’t even begin to comprehend the seriousness of the situation that was about to unfold.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day Joyce arrived at the police station in the early afternoon. She had taken the first flight back from England and was most certainly not in the happiest of moods. She was not sad though to hear about Hank’s death. After everything he had done to her and her daughter, she felt he deserved it. Buffy was her main concern thorough, Joyce didn’t blame anyone for killing him, and hell, she might just thank the guy for helping her sleep easier at night. But she also wondered just who this mystery guy was. All she knew was that Hank was dead, run over, and Buffy and some other guy had something to do with it. Besides, what had Hank been doing at their house in the first place; surely Buffy wouldn’t have invited him over.

Upon arriving at the police station, Joyce was escorted into a room full of cells. The police officer showed her to a cell in a corner with two people sleeping inside. She didn’t even realize one of them was Buffy at first as they were facing the other direction. Also, the female she saw was curled up with this man who had his arm covering her waist protectively. Upon seeing Buffy’s face as she turned in her face, Joyce grabbed onto the bars of the cell and yelled out to Buffy.

“Buffy! Who is this man?” She then looked at Spike with wide, wild eyes yelling, “Who are you?”

Buffy and Spike jumped up upon hearing the screaming and looked shocked to see that it was already the afternoon.

Looking at the police officer, Kate Lockley, Joyce realized that he wasn’t giving away any information to her just yet, so she sat down on the floor. Tears poured down her face. She couldn’t believe all her daughter had been through in just her childhood life. Joyce kept her head back against the bars of the cell entrapping her daughter.

Buffy came up behind her mother and put a gentle hand on her shoulder; slightly startling her mom. Joyce turned around fully with tear-stained eyes that were searching Buffy’s for some kind of explanation.

Knowing what her mother needed, Buffy started explaining to her mother how she was having sex with guys she barely knew because it was all-meaningless to her. Buffy then started explaining to her mom how she met Spike and soon fell in love with him. To say Joyce was shocked would be an understatement. She started balling again as thoughts of how much she had let Hank screw up her daughter’s life filled her mind. It was all her fault, if she had only had the courage to leave Hank earlier; but it was too late now. The damage had been done.

Buffy told her mother about how Hank came to their house drunk and she had run out into Spike’s car. When Buffy finished filling in her mother on the past few weeks, she introduced Spike. Buffy was sure her mother was going to hate him for killing Hank, but when Joyce laid eyes on him, all she could say was “Thank you”.

Taken aback, Spike stared back blankly at her until he realized that she was probably relieved to have the man who fucked up her life and the life of her daughter gone.

Spike and Mrs. Summers started talking. Joyce wanted to get to know this man her daughter loved. They got to talking about life, art, Buffy, traveling, almost everything. Then Joyce asked Spike, “How old are you?”

Swallowing first, Spike answered “Twenty-one”.

At first Mrs. Summers thought she heard wrong. Looking at Spike’s guilty face though, she realized that she had heard right. “TWENTRY ONE????” Now that Buffy was 17, it was not really legal, but Joyce just didn’t expect this guy to be four years older than Buffy. For four years older, was four years more experienced, and that was not something Joyce would put in Spike’s PRO column.

“Mom, are you okay?” Buffy asked, concerned that her mother had yet to say anything. Joyce had a far outlook on her face; she was almost catatonic. Buffy started panicking again, unsure of what had overtaken her mother so quickly. All she could say was, “Oh shit!”