Author's Chapter Notes:
For purposes of this story, the schools both Spike and Buffy attend are private and Catholic. I am in no way saying that these schools are better or that the Catholic religion is the best- as you’ll soon find out, I don’t mention anything about religion in here. As I learned in high school, students who are not of the Catholic religion still attend these types of schools, so I’m just going to run with that fact. Just bear with me, and I promise I’m not going to try to sway your opinions on these schools- I’m just going with what I know and experienced.

Second of all, I’m not saying that people who attend private schools are snobby and rich- I also found that fact to be untrue. Yes, some people are incredibly wealthy, but others are definitely not rich and work hard for what they want. I’m going to try to show both perspectives as best I can, especially because I know firsthand how much of a difference there can be in the social class-system at private schools.

Now, on for the show…
Buffy Summers strolled into the gym of Blessed Souls High School on the arm of her boyfriend Riley Finn, wearing a floor-length, strapless blue silk gown, her hair pulled back, allowing it to fall past her shoulders. Riley leaned down to gently kiss her temple, smiling at her.

“You look so beautiful,” he said. “Thank you for coming to Homecoming with me.” She giggled.

“Why wouldn’t I, silly?” she joked. “It’s what couples do, you know.” He laughed.

“Yeah, I know,” he replied. “But it’s still an honor to escort the prettiest girl in Sunnydale to a dance like this.” She leaned into his side as he wrapped an arm around her waist, looking around the gym and smirking.

“There’s Dawn and Andrew,” she said, pointing them out amongst the crowd of dancing bodies in front of the DJ. “I can’t believe she’s a freshman this year. I feel so old.”

“You should,” he said. “We’re finally seniors. Can you believe that?”

“No,” she answered. “But I’m so happy we’re the oldest now.” She noticed her friend Fred walking towards them, holding hands with her boyfriend Wesley. “Well, hello, you two. You look beautiful, Fred.”

“So do you,” the brunette replied, smiling. “Did you just get here?”

“We took our time,” Riley said, shrugging. “Had a nice dinner at that little Italian restaurant near your high school.” He looked around and frowned suddenly. “I didn’t think Spike Brooks and his gang would show up.”

“It’s our last year,” Wesley said. “And I’m his friend, too, don’t forget.”

“I don’t understand how a nice guy like you can stand a jerk like him,” Riley replied. “He makes my life a living hell.” Buffy studied the platinum blonde guy that Riley was currently scowling at.

“He doesn’t look so tough,” she said. “You could break him in half.” He smirked.

“I know,” he said. “He’s not a bully physically- he just flaunts his money and makes everyone feel bad about themselves.”

“Ah, I know the type,” Buffy said, motioning to the girl with Spike. “That’s Harmony, one of the richest bitches at school.” Riley raised an eyebrow when Buffy swore. “What? It’s true.”

“Yeah, Harmony and Cordelia are nightmares,” Fred agreed as she saw Cordelia Chase dancing with Liam Angelus. “But they rule the school- bookworms like us are at the bottom of the totem pole.”

“Nonsense,” Buffy said, smiling as she defiantly raised her chin up. “We’re better than those girls and always will be.” She pulled Riley to the dance-floor as a slow song started.

* * * * *

“These dances are going to be the bloody death of me,” Spike mumbled as he walked to the punch table near the doors. “Harmony just likes to show herself off and flirt with other guys to piss me off.”

“I don’t see why,” his friend Xander said. “You don’t get pissed off- you let her go on ahead so you can look at all of the other goodies and try to sample them.” Spike smirked and shrugged.

“Got to get my rocks off somehow,” he replied. “Harmony’s as talented as a blow-up doll.”

“Explains why she’s such an airhead,” Xander joked, grabbing two glasses of punch and handing one to Spike. “Speaking of sex toys, did you see the blonde that Finn brought with him?” Spike looked around the gym and spotted the tall brunette man, holding a beautiful blonde girl in his arms as they danced. “I think her name’s Betty or Bunny. According to Anya, they’re in love or something.” Spike scoffed.

“People don’t fall in love in high school,” he replied, drinking from his cup.

“Oh yes they do,” Anya said, appearing beside Xander and grabbing his hand. “Spin me around a bit and then take me to our hotel for lots of orgasms.” Spike chuckled as Xander shot his girlfriend a look and allowed her to lead him towards the other dancing couples.

“This spot taken?” Fred asked as she came to stand beside Spike, getting a glass of punch. He smiled at her.

“You look lovely, pet,” he said. “Too bad you’re already spoken for. Otherwise, I’d try seducing you, myself.” She blushed slightly and giggled. “Having fun with Wes?”

“Yeah,” she answered, looking across the gym at Wesley, who was talking to Buffy and Riley. “What about you and Harmony?”

“She’s convincing one of the second-string quarterbacks to let her be his wide receiver, if you get what I mean,” he said, smirking when she ducked her head, blushing profusely. “So, who’s the beauty with the beast?”

“You mean Riley and Buffy?” she asked, and he raised an eyebrow.

“Her name is Buffy?” he asked, and she nodded. “Please tell me that’s a nickname.”

“You’re one to talk, Spike,” she said, smiling. “Or should I call you William?” He frowned and crossed his arms. “Why are you asking about them?”

“How serious are they?” Spike asked, and Fred sighed, watching the couple.

“About as serious as two people in love can be,” she answered. “They’re perfect together.”

“No one can be happy with a guy like him,” he said. “He can’t offer her anything.”

“What? Like cars and money?” she asked. “That’s not what Buffy wants- she’s not that kind of girl. He gives her what she needs, and I have a feeling, Spike, he gives her more than you ever could.” He watched Fred return to her boyfriend, stunned that the sheepish young woman had said that.

“Well, we’ll just see about that, won’t we?” he asked quietly, turning on his heel and walking away.

* * * * *

Buffy, Riley, Wesley, Fred, Dawn, and Andrew were seated at a table about an hour later, deep in conversation, when Spike approached them, specifically targeting Buffy. Everyone looked at him as he stopped to stand beside her chair.

“Can we help you?” Wes asked, noticing the way Spike was appraising Buffy.

“Want to dance, princess?” he asked her, extending a hand. She looked at it and frowned.

“Flash your Rolex elsewhere,” she said, looking up at him. “Preferably somewhere not around here.” He strangely felt hurt by her comment before leaning down to her ear.

“You wish you could be with someone as good as me,” he said, his breath tickling her skin. “But you’ll never be worth my time, Buffy.”

“How do you know my name?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Word travels fast around guys,” he said, smirking. “Let one between your dimpled knees, and the whole school will know the next day.” She stared at him as he walked away, grinning. “Take that, little girl.”

Meanwhile, Wes was holding Riley back, restraining the taller man from going after Spike and punching him.

“It’s not worth it,” Buffy said, giving Riley a small smile. “I deserved that after what I said.”

“He deserves to be castrated,” Riley muttered, sinking back into his chair defeatedly. “I can’t just let him talk about you that way, Buffy.” She kissed his cheek.

“It’s okay,” she said. “Let’s not allow him to ruin our night, okay? It’s our last Homecoming.” He nodded after a moment and pulled her into a hug. When they broke apart, she looked across the gym and saw Spike talking to Harmony.

‘He doesn’t know who he’s messing with,’ she thought.






A/N Part 2: Unless there's a lot of feedback, I'm not going to post over this weekend due to time constraints. I hope you liked chapter 1, and I promise there's more fun to come in the next chapter!:)