Author's Chapter Notes:
I can't believe how many reviews you guys have left and i cant thank you enough. I'll try to post again as soon as possible, keep em' coming guys lol (please)
Wow, special thanx to Lacey, Allison, Bernardette, Mariana, javelina, Lynn, buffyandSpikeForever, Dannii, Caitie, MidnightGirl, Flibble, Livia, MarstersGirl13, Blazing Fire, chris, Neo, Bint, Melissa g and Crystal Pegasus for all the wonderful support. I didn’t expect this many reviews and can’t thank you enough…..keep doing it lol!!!


( 1 week before the story starts)



Spike stood in line tapping his foot impatiently. He wanted a coffee and he wanted it bloody well now. The line shuffled forward and the cashier finally asked for his order.

“A cup of blood luv’.”

The girl gasped and stepped back a little. ‘Soddin yankees have no sense of humour.’ “I was teasing miss, I’ll have a cup of coffee yeah?”

The girl nodded her head and made him his cup, silently taking his money and giving him the change. He sighed and ran a hand through his bleached locks. He’d only gotten hear yesterday and already he was having doubts. He turned and looked for a vacant seat to no avail.


Across the room was a pretty middle-aged woman waving him over. When he stopped at the table she was sitting at, “Can I help you ma’am?”

The woman gave him a beautiful smile. “Actually I think I can help you. There isn’t anywhere else to sit and there’s an extra chair right here. You can share the table with me if you want.”

Spike smiled sheepishly. “I would like that ma’am and thank you.”

“It’s Joyce. Joyce Summers.” she said and held out her hand.

Spike took it and kissed it instead of shaking it as she’d expected, causing her to blush. “Spike. Spike Calendar.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Spike.”

“The pleasure is all mine Joyce.”

He sat back and took a sip of his coffee before speaking again. “Ya know, I think you may be the first person who hasn’t asked me my real name.” he said with a laugh.

She smiled and leaned in close as if she where about to tell a secret. “I named my daughter Buffy so who am I to judge?”

They both laughed at that and from there the conversation flowed freely.

“So I can tell by your accent that you’re not from here. Are you visiting from England?”

“Not visiting, I just moved here but I do come from England.”

“What brings you here?”

“Trying to make a new life for myself. England is grand but the weather doesn’t suit my style.”

Joyce looked at his smirk and grinned to herself. What mother could resist playing matchmaker right?

“So Spike do you have any family here?”

“No, I have no living relatives actually, god rest their souls. My family’s passed on but they’re in a better place I believe.”

Joyce put her hand over his and patted it affectionately. She didn’t know why but she liked this man. “Of course they are honey.” After a moment of silence had passed she continued. “So what do you do?”

“I’m actually looking for a teaching job, I’m an English professor.”

“That’s a god job. It takes patience and caring, it makes you strong.”

Spike laughed. “Well I don’t know if it makes me strong but it definitely makes me crazy. But it’s worth it to see the look on a student’s face when they graduate.”

“So how old are you Spike?”

“26 years old. Only been teaching for about 2 years now.”

Joyce stayed silent for a moment and then reached for her purse. She began to riffle through it while starting to talk again.

“Are you seeing anyone?”

Spike held back a grin, he could smell a mum playing cupid but he didn’t want to offend her by laughing in her face. “Single as someone can be.”

“Well seeing as how you’re new in town would you like to come over to my house next Friday for dinner? I can introduce you to my daughter and perhaps she could give you a tour.”

“And why couldn’t I let you lead me around town Joyce?” he asked with a wink.

The older woman smiled. “Well at my age Spike I don’t think I could show you the sights you’d be interested in, Buffy on the other hand is around your age. There it is!” she said triumphantly, pulling out a wallet-sized picture. She put it in his hands and said proudly, “There’s my baby girl.”

Spike lowered his eyes to the girl in the photograph and his heart sped up. Long, slightly curled honey gold hair, hazel eyes he could get lost in, a cute tiny nose and lips he wanted to feel all over his body.

Joyce giggled and he looked up, realising where he was and with who.

“She’s lovely Joyce.” He said almost breathlessly. “I can see where she gets it from though.”

Joyce slapped his hand teasingly. “You’re a fox Spike. So, would you like to come to dinner then?”

“I’d be honoured Joyce.”

Joyce started to scribble the time and the directions onto a piece of paper for him but he didn’t need it. The second she had uttered the address he knew he would never forget it, how could he when two angels lived there?

When they exchanged their goodbyes Joyce left the coffee shop with a broad smile on her features. She had the feeling that Buffy would like this man. There was something about him that Joyce had felt immediately. Maybe it was mothers intuition or maybe not but she trusted this man and believed that he would be good for her daughter. ‘Maybe he’ll be there to take care of her when I’m not.’




(The night of the dinner, around 5 o’clock)

“Mom? Mom I’m home.”

Buffy closed the door behind her and walked over to the table by the stairs. “Oh flowers, pretty.”

She read the card. “Joyce, can’t wait to see you tonight. Spike.”
“Mom you vixen, who’s Spike? Mom, you home?”

Buffy turned to the living room and her body froze. “Mom…mom…mommy?”








Spike had sent the flowers a few hours ago and had just hopped onto his bike. The rain was pretty bad and if he had left earlier he would have taken the bus. But he wanted to be on time so the bike it was. He would just have to go slowly.

He was halfway there when he heard it. Screams from people on the sidewalks, the sound of screeching tires. He looked up and tried to swerve but it was too late. The racing car bumped into him from the side causing him to lose control, the bike landed on it’s side with one his legs and arms pinned beneath it. His head, even though encased in a helmet, make a sickening crunch as it connected with the concrete streets. And then there was black.




Beep. Beep. Beep.


Buffy walked into the room and sighed. The sound of all the machines making their noises was giving her a headache. It had been a long day. She’d been making phone calls to England for three hours trying to find out anything she could about the man in her care. All Williams ex-landlord could tell her was that he liked bad music. When Buffy had explained the situation he told her that his niece had liked the same bands and when she came to visit he would ask for the names of them and phone Buffy back. He added that “William was a right good bloke and too stubborn to die.” The last part of the conversation had made Buffy smile.

She sat next to him and ran her hands over his hair. He moaned a little when she did so she continued. ‘I wonder what kind of place he’s made for himself, where he is and what’s he’s doing in there right now.’ Buffy thought as her hands ran over his head. “Where are you William?” she asked herself.



(Williams mind)

“Sorry I was late Joyce, almost had an accident on the way but everything’s okay. Did you like the flowers?”




Please, please let me know what you think.....