Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for reading and reviewing.
Chapter 19: ‘Something Saguaro!’


Summary: Spike and Buffy get a pleasant surprise the morning after their ‘time’ in the loft!

Amy Levison informs Willow Osbourne of her news about Caleb Montgomery.

A wedding takes place at the Quinn ranch!

(The title is a play on ‘Something Blue’ from season 4. Okay, it’s corny, I know)


A/N: This chapter is pretty sugary, I’ll just admit it. But, hey, it’s a Spuffy wedding and we deserve it dammit!

Oh, Saguaro flowers are from the cactus of that name, pretty much native to Arizona.


“This is Father Sanchez,” Cordelia Quinn grinned happily as she pointed to the obvious priest in her living room. It was obvious that the Spanish man was a priest; his attire and holy white collar gave him away.

“I sent Doyle and Tito, our head ranch hand, out this morning to Flagstaff to fetch him. No time like the present for a wedding!” Mrs. Quinn chuckled merrily.

Buffy gaped, open-mouthed at the fairly young priest that stood, somewhat humbly, she noticed, in the Quinn house. She was more then overwhelmed by this turn of events. It was just yesterday that Buffy had lost her virginity; accepted William’s marriage proposal and tossed and turned all night in a borrowed bed of a young child’s bedroom.

Last night had been hell for Buffy, and she had no doubt that Will had suffered the same fate. After making love for hours, in the loft of the Quinn barn, it had been difficult for Buffy to sleep a wink in young Kate Quinn’s bedroom. However traditional proprieties had to be followed and Buffy was nothing if she wasn’t traditional.

At one point, Buffy had even entertained the notion of slipping out of Katie Quinn’s bedroom. She had devised a plot to quietly sneak down the hallway and call Will out of the room he must of shared with some other members of the gang.

Her sense of propriety and decency had won out and Buffy decided to stay put in the borrowed bed. Alone and without her future mate, William Giles. The truth was? Buffy Summers was in full on heat for her lover, William Giles; tradition and pride be damned!

It had been difficult, to say the least, to sleep without William by her side last night. And, if looks were honest and truthful? Buffy could see the next morning at breakfast that William had suffered the same sleepless night that she had.

Spike had practically ran to the breakfast table, after dressing and washing up in the cold water of the outside pump. He had snorted gruffly at the other men that shared his borrowed room.

“Bad night, Spike?” Xander chuckled heartily as he stretched out on the bedroll in the middle of the Quinn guest room.

“I swear I heard old Spike groan out sweet Buffy’s name during the night. At least a hundred times,” Jesse Harris laughed loudly.

“Shut the fuck up,” Spike grumped, pulling on his pants and heading out the back door to the water pump outside.

“Oh, he’s got it bad,” Riley laughed good-naturedly. “I’m bettin’ that Spike and Buffy are married and popping out little Giles in no time and…..”

“Shut the fuck up,” Spike had growled again through gritted teeth before he fled outside to the water pump.


“So, you’re a priest?” Spike asked warily, eyeing Father Sanchez up and down.

“I am, Senor Giles,” the priest replied warmly. “Actually,” Father Sanchez grinned amicably, “I’m the only priest for a hundred miles. Senor Doyle and young Tito there rode out this morning to my parish in Flagstaff. They brought me here to speak the wedding words over you and the beautiful senorita there.”

Father Sanchez smiled, benevolently, at Buffy, who blushed in response.

“Since when did you convert to Catholicism, Cordelia?” Rupert Giles asked his late wife’s younger sister, warily.

“Since I was ravished by Doyle here and swept away out here to this God forsaken country, Rupert,” Cordelia crowed gleefully. She quickly dismissed the shocked look in Father Sanchez’ chocolate brown eyes.

“What?” Cordy asked innocently of the men about her. “Father Sanchez’ mentor, Father Chavez, has helped deliver and blessed every one of my children. “Father Sanchez christened out last child and…..”

“I see,” Rupert sighed. “So be it. William? Buffy? Is it acceptable to you both? To be married in the laws of the Roman Catholic Church?”

“Fine by me,” Spike grunted, taking Buffy’s tiny, trembling hand in his. ‘Fuck, I hope she doesn’t bolt from this,’ he thought nervously.

“Okay,” Buffy stammered, “I mean, it’s okay with me, but I have to be honest, Father,” she mumbled with a hot blush. I am not Catholic, Father,” Buffy sounded almost apologetic.

“All of God’s children are welcome to unite when is it in the spirit of love, daughter,” Father Sanchez smiled warmly at the little blond wisp of a girl. “If you love Senor Giles and he loves you? Then God smiles kindly on your union,” the holy man finished with a wide grin on his handsome face.

“But, I don’t have a proper dress,” Buffy whimpered softly. “There’s no pretty dress for me to be married, properly in, Will.” She gazed at her future husband with pleading green eyes.

“That’s not a problem,” Cordelia Quinn interjected before her nephew could say a word. “My own wedding dress is stored, in my closet. If it’s all right by Buffy? She can wear it and we’ll find some suitable flowers to weave in her hair.” Cordy glanced at her only daughter, Katie affectionately.

“I can pick some Saguaro flowers Mama,” little Katie chimed in, excitedly. “They’re in full bloom, Aunt Buffy! I’ll go out, with Doyle Jr. and pick a bushel full!”

“They are quite lovely, Buffy dear,” Cordelia offered to the nervous bride to be. “Not roses or orchids, of course, but lovely still,” she added kindly.

“If you’d rather ride into Flagstaff, Princess,” Spike stammered nervously, “we can buy you a fine dress there. There’s plenty of time and money and…..”

“No!” Buffy cried fearfully. “Isn’t it too dangerous for you, for all of us, to go into a larger city?” She glanced at Rupert with an expression of terror.

“It would be, dear,” Rupert sighed heavily. “However, if William insists and you want a dress of your own then…..”



“I’m sure everything here will be fine,” Buffy murmured, squeezing Will’s hand with hers. “I don’t want to do anything that jeopardizes Will or any of you,” she murmured.

“Well,” Buffy continued heartily after taking a deep breath. “It’s not the huge, church wedding I’d imagined from childhood, but, it’ll do,” Buffy stated with a soft smile. “Will? How about you? Do you want to give it a go and all?”

“I do,” Spike replied firmly. “With all of my heart, Princess, I want you for my wife.”


‘Meanwhile back in Redemption’

(Now, you knew I had to throw them in there, right???)


“I only know what Johnny told me, Amy Levison whispered into her friend, Willow Osbourne’s ear. “My husband admitted to me that that wicked man, Lorne Deverson, stopped by our store, to give a warning about Caleb Montgomery.”

Willow’s gray eyes widened as she leaned in closer to listen to Amy’s words. The two women were having tea, in Mrs. Osbourne’s parlor and Amy had felt it best that she inform the red-head of just exactly what kind of man Caleb Montgomery truly was.

“Of course,” Amy mumbled; her face bright red, “Johnny didn’t tell me everything that happened at ‘that awful evil place’ and all. However,” she hesitated then leaned in closer to Willow. “I do know that the one they call Harmony? Deverson had to send her away, after Caleb ‘visited’ her. It’s scandalous to say the least and Johnny made me swear not to tell anyone but you. The girl was beaten to a pulp by Montgomery, according to Mr. Deverson.”

“Oh God,” Willow gasped as she turned even paler then usual. “I think I’m going to be sick, Amy,” she whimpered, clutching her swollen, pregnant stomach.

“You being Buffy’s best friend and all,” Amy continued undaunted, “I thought I should tell you everything I knew. That and the fact that Johnny rode to the Summers’ farm, immediately after Mr. Lorne Deverson left our store.”

“Did Johnathan tell Buffy’s mother about this?” Willow asked in a shaky voice.

“Yes, Lorne Deverson insisted that a family friend inform Joyce Summers about what a monstrous man her daughter’s intended is. I guess Buffy must have figured it out for herself, beforehand,” Amy snorted. “Johnny claims that Joyce Summers told him that Buffy had never intended to go through with the wedding!”

“She did not,” Willow confirmed with a sigh and a nod of her red head. “Buffy told me, here in this room, the day she was taken by the Crawford gang. She made it clear that she was not going to marry Caleb, no matter what happened. Poor Buffy, she must have realized what a monster Caleb Montgomery really is!”

“Indeed,” Amy tsked as she took another sip of tepid tea from Willow Osbourne’s fine china cup.


Father Sanchez smiled at the lovely young couple in front of him. The bride was a vision in a white satin dress, although it was not quite a perfect fit, Senorita Summers was still beautiful in it.

Katie Quinn and young Doyle had found dozens upon dozens of the sturdy white blooms of the Saguaro. The children and placed the flowers on every possible open counter top they could find. Miss Summers even wore a wreath fashioned of them in her golden hair.

Senor Giles looked nervous, but fairly composed as the priest began his sacred wedding words over the couple.

“Please, join hands,” Father Sanchez requested quietly, then noticed that the couple had already done so. The priest smiled warmly at the young gringo and gringa before him. It was not often that Father Sanchez was asked to perform wedding words for such a unique couple and he felt honored to do so now.

“I have decided to forego the traditional Latin ceremony,” the priest began solemnly in his broken English. “Instead, I will speak the English, from my heart to unite this couple in holy matrimony.”

“For everyone that is gathered here today,” he began somberly as he looked about at the unusual ‘guests’ of the bride and groom, “but most especially for the bride and groom. This is a celebration of the spiritual and physical union of this man and woman. William and Elizabeth come before God Almighty to affirm their love for one another and in front of these witnesses.”

Spike took that moment to smile down, a little nervously yes, at Buffy, who beamed up at him. Buffy appeared to be just as nervous, if not more, then he was.

“It is told in religious lore,” Father Sanchez continued in his melodic voice, “that it was the Angel Michael who helped watch over the first man, Adam, in the Garden of Eden. One day, Michael asked the Lord: “Lord, why have you created a mate for all of the animals in Paradise? But for man, your most beloved creation, you have not?”

“The Lord God looked down at Adam and sensed, perhaps, for the first time, that yes, his most beloved creation in the entire world was sad and alone. Adam had no mate of his own and God saw that his child was truly alone in Paradise.”

“I shall make my most beloved creation a mate,” God promised the angel Michael. “A woman to be with my man creation; someone to be at his side in the world and comfort him during the long lonely nights. Let it be known that the woman that I create as a mate for Adam is his partner; his equal in this world. Just as all of the animals have mates that are their equals and partners.”

“So the Lord God created Eve, Adam’s mate; his partner and equal. God gave Adam his mate; to love, respect and cherish above all other things in the world,” the priest smiled warmly at Buffy, then at William. “In turn, God gave Adam to Eve; to be loved by her.”

“I have always found it interesting,” Sanchez smiled wryly, “that our Lord seemed to know, instinctively, that Adam would always ‘choose’ his love and loyalty for Eve, above anything else. Perhaps that is why God forgave Adam, as well as Eve. Our Lord could not find it in his heart to separate Adam and Eve from each other, no matter how hurtful their betrayal was to Him. God loved mankind above all of his creations; therefore, he instilled in his human children the ability to ‘love’ unconditionally, just as He does.”

“William Giles,” he continued, “do you take this woman as your wife, your mate; to love, cherish and respect above all others in this world and for all eternity?”

“I do,” Spike stated clearly, squeezing Buffy’s tiny hand in his.

“Elizabeth Summers, do take William Giles as your husband and mate; to love, cherish and respect above all others in this world and for all eternity?”

“I do,” Buffy whispered, trying not to let the tiny happy tears slip from her eyes.

“Are there rings?” Father Sanchez asked carefully, not sure if he should bring something like this up. He was a savvy man, the priest was, and he had a very good notion that this group was not the usual wedding guests. Even as the bride and groom were not usual either.

“I have the rings,” Rupert Giles replied for the surprised couple. “They are my wife’s ring and mine,” he added in an unusual emotional tone.

“Thanks Dad,” Spike whispered, taking his mother’s wedding band from his father. He knew for a fact that Rupert had worn that ring, on his pinky finger, since the day his Jennifer Giles had died.

Rupert handed Buffy his own wedding band and smiled warmly at the girl. She would make a fine addition to the Giles’ clan that was for certain.

“Thank you,” Buffy whispered softly, barely able to get the words out.

“Place the rings on the proper finger,” the priest ordered gently. “William and Elizabeth have agreed to love, cherish and respect each other for all time. The rings are the physical seal to the spiritual agreement. In the eyes of God and these witnesses, William and Elizabeth are truly one together as husband and wife. You may kiss…..”

Father Sanchez saw that he did not need to finish his sentence. William and Elizabeth Giles were already ‘kissing’ quite enthusiastically, to seal their wedding vows.


A/N: Okay, another sappy chapter by the Syrup Queen of LA here.
This was a kind of ‘happy’ chapter before things get a little dark again. Well, not a little dark, but major big dark for our Spuffy couple. The posse is catching up to the gang and things are going to get rough for everyone.

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.