Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for reading this story. I think I've come out of my writer's block.
Chapter 21: ‘New Morning; New Beginnings’


Summary: I’m starting this chapter off a bit differently. It’s a little scene back in Redemption that will give closure to a couple of briefly seen characters so far. I hope you like it; I ‘think’ I do.

Lorne gets a surprise visitor at the bordello, early in the morning. He then makes some future plans for himself.


There may be a smidge of Spuffy lovin’ in this chapter, we’ll have to see.


Chapter 21:


Lorne Deverson sipped the hard liquor; it was whisky this morning, from his hefty glass. He was a self-gratifying man, Lorne was at most times; but lately, he had slipped into some extremely unhealthy, hedonistic practices. Even for him.

Case in point; his drinking hard liquor at 8:30 AM on a Saturday morning. Mr. Deverson, whoremaster extraordinaire, was no one’s fool; not by any stretch of the imagination. He knew that drinking at this time of the day was highly suspect, inappropriate and downright foolish. Ever since Caleb Montgomery had beaten poor little Harmony Kendall to a pulp, Lorne had taken to drinking and yes, even bathing at odd times during the day and night.

Of course, the dapper Mr. Deverson easily dismissed his new drinking habits by telling himself and others that he was distraught and yes, even remorseful for poor Harmony’s disturbing fate. However, it was more then that and Lorne, while feeling no guilt or stupidity in deceiving his business associates and so called friends? Well, he felt a fool in trying to deceive himself and yes, even God Almighty Himself.

He, Lorne Deverson, drank every chance he got, lately and not just since Montgomery had beaten Harmony into oblivion. Long before, the whoremaster had taken to drinking at odd times during the day and night. The truth was; Lorne was deceiving no one, especially himself and God.

This fine Nebraskan Saturday morning, Lorne sat on his office balcony and stared out at the happy little village of Redemption.
It was times like these; when he sat on the open balcony and surveyed the streets of this dusty town that Lorne realized he detested Redemption, completely. That or he detested himself and what he had truly become.

“I hate this fucking hellmouth,” Lorne grumbled as he sipped his whisky. “I’ve got to get the hell out of here and soon or I’ll……”

A knock at his office door broke the tall, dark haired man from his brooding reverie.

“What?” Lorne barked through the door that led from his first floor balcony to the closed office entrance.

“It’s Parker Mr. Deverson,” Lorne’s most trusted employee called from the other side of the office door. “I’ve brought young Cassie with me,” the young man added slowly.

Lorne flinched, just a bit and set his whisky glass on the wooden floor next to his chair. When he heard that young Cassie Newton was with his ‘floor man’ Parker Abrams, Deverson became a bit unnerved.

There was something about the very young, sweet and pretty little Cassie that always unnerved Lorne Deverson. The girl, she could be no older then eighteen years of age, had come to the Red Garter just as recent as six months before this.

Lorne had been reluctant to take the small, unassuming young woman in as another ‘girl’ in his stable, but Maggie, the head whore had insisted. Maggie assured Mr. Deverson that she would mold the mere nymph-like Cassie into a self assured, marketable prostitute.

Besides, as Maggie had so bluntly pointed out at the time; Cassie would have just ended up down at the other ‘establishment’ in Redemption. If Lorne hadn’t taken her in that is, the girl would have wound up at The Copperhead Saloon; a much lower rent type of bordello.

God only knew what Cassie Newton would have endured at that snake pit.

So, Lorne had relented in the end, but insisted from day one that Cassie only service the youngest, most inexperienced clients that came to the Red Garter. Only the youngest, cleanest and yes, best looking ranch hands, cowboys and sons of the local townsmen could request Cassie’s services.

Something about the girl, Cassie, just touched Lorne’s stone cold heart and made him remember his genteel upbringing. He was, after all, the son of a well born southern gentleman, Lorne was. It was probable that he could ‘feel’ a kindred spirit such as Cassie Newton. There was something almost spiritual deep and hidden in Cassie and her new boss had detected it from the start..

“What is it,” Lorne asked wearily as he opened the office door to find Parker and Cassie behind it. Parker looked nervous, while Cassie just looked wide-eyed and in awe of Lorne.

“There’s a lady here,” Parker stammered anxiously, “Mrs. Hank Summers…..and John Levison, the merchant. They’re…..”

Before he could finish, Parker was interrupted by his boss’s gasp of shock. “You can’t be serious! Mrs. Summers, here?” Lorne exclaimed roughly. “Where is she? You didn’t just leave her standing on the front porch of this dump, did you?”

“No sir,” Parker blurted out quickly. “Mrs. Summers and Mr. Levison are just a few feet from here, sir. Down the hall,” he offered with a sigh of relief. Apparently, he had done something right, again, Parker surmised as he noted his boss’s look of relief. He motioned down the hall with his right hand.

Joyce Summers and John Levison entered Lorne’s office, warily. Mrs. Summers’ right arm was properly entwined in Mr. Levison’s left one.

“Come in, Mrs. Summers, Mr. Levison,” Lorne stated evenly, “Parker,” he continued a little less politely, “go on out and see to the others. Cassie,” he finished with a nod at the pale girl, “I want you to stay here, with us.”

Cassie looked stunned, but hurried into the inner depths of the office and took a seat next to Johnathan Levison. She kept her blue eyes focused on her brown suede boots as she awaited her master’s next command.

“This is Cassandra Newton, Mrs. Summers, Mr. Levison,” Lorne pointed at the newly shocked Cassie. “Cassandra, this is Mrs. Joyce Summers and Mr. Johnathan Levison,” he grunted and set on an empty chair across from the trio.

“Miss Newton,” Joyce nodded her head and smiled warmly at the speechless Cassie. “Miss,” John grunted with a blush at the girl.

“I, well, how do you do,” Cassie murmured, barely able to say the polite greeting her mother had taught her years before. She favored Mrs. Summers with a slight smile and nodded at Mr. Levison.

“I have to ask, Mrs. Summers,” Lorne began cautiously, “why you would brave to come here? If the other good citizens of Redemption ever found out that…..”

“I am not concerned with the other good citizens of Redemption Mr. Deverson,” Joyce interjected politely. “I am concerned, however, with doing the right thing and coming here, personally, to thank you for your warning about Caleb Montgomery,” she finished with a quick frown.

“If my husband, Hank Summers, was not away,” Joyce continued evenly. “He himself would have come here and thanked you for your noble act. That and to assure you that our daughter, Buffy, had come to a realization regarding Mr. Montgomery. Even before she was taken by……” Joyce’s strong voice trailed off before she could finish the sentence.

“Caleb Montgomery is a monster,” Lorne muttered more to himself then anyone else. He raised his eyes to meet Mrs. Summers’ honest and open gaze. “There’s something else?” Deverson asked the formidable woman before him.

“The girl,” Joyce began carefully. “The poor girl that Montgomery harmed, I believe her name is Harmony? Is she all right then?” Mrs. Summers looked away from Mr. Deverson to study the young whore sitting next to John Levison. She noted that the rather pale, frail looking girl seemed to cringe at the mention of the unfortunate Harmony.

“Harmony is sequestered in a safe, comfortable place. She’ll survive and be fine for it,” Lorne mumbled half-heartedly, his eyes lowered to focus on the floor beneath them.

“I…..” Joyce stammered then paused to catch her breath. Joyce Summers knew a lie when she heard one and this man was lying to her, no doubt about it.

“Tell her the truth,” Cassie whispered to her employer, placing a gentle hand on Lorne’s shoulder. “Please Mr. Deverson. A lady like Mrs. Summers deserves the truth.”

Lorne sighed heavily and stood up from his chair slowly. “I’m afraid that while Harmony Kendall is in the best care possible? She’ll never recover physically from the beating that Montgomery bestowed on her. I took her to St. Louis, I’ve a cousin there by the name of Tucker Preston. I gave him plenty of money to care for Harmony.”

It was Joyce’s turn to sigh heavily. “Your cousin, Mr. Preston? He’ll be good to the girl?” She asked hopefully.

“Yes,” Lorne nodded firmly. “I have also given Tucker a hefty sum of money, kind of a dowry for Harmony. She’ll never be able to turn a profit in this line of work again and…..” Lorne paused when Johnathan coughed politely in warning.

“I’ve said too much Mrs. Summers and I do apologize,” Lorne mumbled. “This is not proper talk for a lady such as yourself,” he finished regretfully.

“Nonsense,” Joyce snorted, quite unladylike really. “I inquired after the girl and I want answers,” she stated firmly. “Will the girl, Harmony, be scarred for life? Physically,” she asked warily.

“Yes,” Lorne replied evenly, “she will. I have to admit, Mrs. Summers, like I said. I also gave Tucker a tidy sum to take responsibility for Harmony and yes, marry her eventually. Tucker is a good man, Mrs. Summers and he will give Harmony a good life; if not an easy one. My cousin is a fairly prosperous farmer just outside of St. Louis. The girl will have to work hard, of course, but at least she will be spared from this hard life.”

Lorne spared a glance at Cassie who seemed to have grown even paler in the last few moments. When he saw the fear and pain in the young woman’s blue eyes, Lorne decided right then and there to go forward with his plan.

“We should go,” Joyce Summers stated quietly as she stood and walked towards the office door. “I’ll thank you again Mr. Deverson,” she added with another smile at Cassie.

“Goodbye Mrs. Summers,” Lorne murmured softly as he watched Johnathan open the door for the older woman and follow her out of the office.

Cassie stood up and watched Mrs. Summers and Mr. Levison walk out of the office door. She felt a sudden urge to run after the older woman and hug her for some reason.

After they had left, closing the office door behind them, Cassie turned to face her boss. She smiled sadly at the older man before her, still confused about many things.

Lorne Deverson had never paid much heed to her, Cassie Newton, or so she thought anyway. In fact, the whoremaster of the Red Garter Saloon had seemed to go out of his way to ignore her on most occasions.

Unlike the other ‘girls’ that worked for Mr. Deverson? Cassie had never been invited to join Master Lorne in his private chambers under any circumstances. Today, when he had bade her to stay and meet with Joyce Summers and Johnathan Levison? It had thrown Cassie for a complete loss.

The other girls in Lorne Deverson’s employ had chatted, almost amicably, of the times spent in their boss’s bed. Apparently Mr. Deverson had a strong appetite for sex; for sex with all the women in the ‘house’ except Cassie that is. Cassie just assumed that she was not her employer’s type of whore and left it at that. Now however, she wondered, especially since the worldly man had made it clear that he knew what her Christian name was and there were other things as well.

Cassie remembered the time when Mr. Deverson had mentioned that he remembered something about the Newtons of Kentucky. It was at a party at the Red Garter. A special occasion on a holiday but Cassie couldn’t remember the exact time. There had been a young cowboy present, some rich rancher’s hired hand.

The ranch foreman, a rough, dirty older man, had requested Cassie for the evening. Mr. Deverson had steered the man, tactfully of course, to Sandy and motioned for Parker to send the younger, good looking ranch hand upstairs with Cassie.

She had always suspected that it was Mr. Deverson himself that had picked up the tab for her all night services for the young, bumbling cowboy. In fact, now that she thought of it, Cassie realized that it was ‘she’ that got all the young, clean and fairly decent men as customers.

“Is everything all right Mr. Deverson?” Cassie asked nervously as she plucked at a piece of thread on her skirt.

“Everything is fine Cassandra,” Lorne replied in a weary tone. “I’ve a good bottle of wine dear, would you care for some?” He gave the girl a look that told her that this was not a request but rather an order.

“Of course,” Cassie responded carefully, still a little confused by all of this.

After Lorne had poured a small glass of wine for each of them, Cassie looked up at him, gazing directly into his dark eyes. “May I ask how you knew my given name Mr. Deverson,” she asked boldly.

Lorne chuckled and sat down next to the anxious young woman. He set his wine glass down on the sturdy table nearby and took Cassie’s small hand in his.

‘She’s trembling like a virgin,’ he thought to himself, a little stunned by this. ‘A whore for months and she’s still as innocent as…..’

“I know many things about you Cassie, I mean Cassandra,” Lorne finally admitted quietly. He began to stroke her tiny hand, tenderly, with his rather large one. “For instance,” he continued evenly as he focused on her pretty little hand, “I know your family is well thought of in Kentucky and that you are the oldest of six children.”

“I, I don’t understand,” Cassie whispered. She almost pulled her shaking hand from his, but thought better of it. After all, this man was her boss and held her future in his hands.

“Cassandra,” Lorne sighed, placing her hand on his knee with his own hand over it. “I know a lot of things about a lot of people, especially the people that work for me. You are no exception my dear, but I wonder…..do you know where your beautiful name of Cassandra originated?” Lorne shot the girl a soft smile while he continued to pat her warm little hand with his.

“No,” she murmured in reply, turning her face from his, shyly.

“Well, I do,” Lorne whispered as he placed a gentle hand on her cheek to turn her face back so that their eyes met. “It’s a beautiful, spiritual name, my sweet,” he mumbled softly.

“From Greek mythology, that’s where it is from. Cassandra was the beautiful, wise daughter of King Priam of Troy.” He conveniently left out the part about the poor doomed Princess Cassandra being ridiculed and disbelieved about everything from start to finish. No point in making this poor girl more self-conscious and upset then she seemed to be right now.

“A princess?” Cassie murmured in sweet surprise. “Really,” she finished with a bright, easy smile.

“Really,” Lorne chuckled softly, tenderly brushing a lock of her soft brown hair from her face. “And I do believe that you seem a princess to me, Cassandra. I know also,” he smirked briefly, “that you are definitely somewhat educated and that you are an avid reader.”

Cassie blushed profusely at being caught out in her love of reading. Why Mr. Deverson was discussing all of this with her, now, was still a mystery however.

“Sit down Cassie,” Lorne ordered the girl gently as he poured her another glass of wine, slipping back to using her nickname. After pouring one for himself, Lorne sat in the chair just opposite his favorite employee.

“I am going to share something with you Cassie,” he began evenly. “I’ve had a few very promising offers on this place,” Lorne glanced about his office as he spoke. “One in particular has most interested me and I’ve decided to sell the Red Garter and move on from here.”

Cassie grew extremely pale and seemed to cringe when Lorne had admitted his plans to her. The girl nearly dropped the wine glass in her hand, but caught herself and placed it on the little table next to her.

“Oh,” is all Cassie could manage to mumble harshly as she nervously wrung her tiny hands together. Then, “please don’t sell the place Mr. Deverson,” she whimpered, “they’ll put me out on the street if you do and I’ve no place to go. Except……” she trailed off weakly.

Her overwrought reaction was all that Lorne Deverson needed to confirm his own inner beliefs. Cassie Newton was terrified of losing him as an employer; or, she was just plain terrified in general.

“Please dear,” Lorne reached out to take her shaking arm in his hand. “Do not be frightened or concerned, sweetheart,” he continued in a comforting tone. “I have no intention of allowing anyone to put you out or send you to a less promising future then this,” he finished with a wry scowl. Lorne glanced around the office again with furrowed brows.

‘As if this is such a bargain for you,’ he snorted to himself.

“In fact Cassie,” he began again, gently, “I have a most intriguing proposition for you and I believe it might be in your best interest to consider it?”

Mr. Deverson’s warm, affectionate smile caused Cassie to feel more at ease. Even if she was still in a quandary about the news he’d just dropped on her.

Cassie sat, stock still, her right brow raised in question at her good looking boss. Never in a million years would Cassie Newton had of guessed at the next set of words Mr. Deverson would say to her.

“Cassie,” Lorne stammered, something unusual for him as he was usually most self-assured. “I have a friend, a Mr. Campbell Frisk who runs a most respectable gambling parlour, out in California. San Francisco to be exact,” he added with a sly grin. “Mr. Frisk has offered me a position, at his establishment, as a kind of pit boss as they call it. I’ve decided to take Frisk up on his offer and sell the Red Garter to cover my expenses for the move.”

Lorne watched Cassie’s reaction, not surprised when she cringed again, her complexion was now white as a ghost. He quickly began to speak again.

“This is my proposition to you Cassandra,” he murmured carefully, watching the girl’s emotions play out on her pretty face. “I wish you to accompany me, to San Francisco, once I have finished up the sale of the Red Garter. Of course, I propose that Parker shall stay on and run the place for the new owner. Maggie will provide the know- how Parker needs to keep things up and running and…..”

“Are you thinking of starting a new ‘house’ then, in San Francisco Mr. Deverson?” Cassie blurted out carelessly. She just knew her tone resounded with resentment, but at the moment she could not have cared less.

‘Why the heck would he choose me to help him start up a new whore house?’ Cassie wondered silently. ‘I’m hardly the most experienced person to aid him in his new endeavor and…..’

Lorne laughed outright at the feisty young woman’s outburst, and her vexed expression. Oh, yes, Cassandra Newton would prove to be his match, Deverson had no doubt of that.

“No sweetheart,” Lorne chuckled, even more so when he saw the angry look in Cassie’s blue eyes. “I’m more then sure that the great Barbary Coast has more then enough sporting houses to go around.”

“Then why?” Cassie asked boldly, her slim arms crossed in front of her ample bosom. “Why would you want ‘me’ to go with ‘you’ to San Francisco?”

The whoremaster could swear he saw tears of confusion, or anger, or even sadness in the girl’s bright eyes. He felt bad for baiting the young woman so and cleared his throat to continue.

“I thought it might be advantageous, Cassie, to both of us, if you traveled with me as my say, companion?” Lorne suddenly blushed bright red and looked at his wine glass that he still clutched tightly in his large hand.

“Companion?” Cassie asked with a confused look. “I don’t understand Mr. Deverson,” she finished with a shake of her head.

“Let me explain,” Lorne murmured, taking Cassie’s tender little hand in his once again. “How would you like to accompany me to San Francisco as say my mistress? I know it’s sudden, dearest, but I have to admit that I do need an appropriate companion in my new home. I can promise you a large, comfortable home of your own and a steady income to maintain you. We shall live together, of course, and I would expect you to attend to my social obligations with me. As I said, Mr. Frisk runs a respectable place and I need an acceptable woman by my side to attend social engagements with me and hostess my own.”

“But, but me?” Cassie gasped in total shock. “Why me Mr. Deverson?” She sat, her blue eyes wide with disbelief, but there was more Lorne noted. The young woman had hope shining in her eyes, something that he had given up on long ago, but now?

“You are an exceptional young woman, Cassandra,” Lorne whispered softly, stroking her tiny hand once again. “I have always thought so and frankly,” he continued carefully, “I need a young woman such as yourself to be with me. You are bright; fairly educated, something I intend on furthering for you in Frisco; and pretty in a conventional, genteel fashion. In other words, Cassandra my dear? You are a perfect choice for me to take to California as my companion. I hope, in the near future, that if things work out, you will accept my proposal of marriage and give me a half a dozen children before it is over.”

There, Lorne had said it and Cassie had heard it. Now, all’s the stunned girl had to do was say yes and that would be that.


“Yes!” Cassie blurted out before either of them could take another breath. “Yes,” she stated more calmly, “I will go with you to San Francisco Mr. Deverson. I will be your mistress and someday, perhaps your wife and the mother of your children.”

“Well then,” Lorne chuckled in pleased contentment, “I suppose it’s time you called me Lorne then, eh?” He kissed Cassie’s little hand, quite gallantly, and then motioned for her to pick up her wine glass.

“Yes,” Cassie murmured as tears of happiness and relief spilled form her eyes. “It is time I called you Lorne.”

“To us, Cassandra Newton and Lorne Deverson,” he laughed heartily. “To a new beginning and the promise of a grand life together!” The couple clinked their glasses in toast and smiled affectionately at one another.


Spike lay wide awake, next to Buffy, his bride of just one day. He still couldn’t believe it, it so much like a wonderful dream to him, holding this beautiful girl in his arms.

When the Crawford Gang had ridden into Redemption, Nebraska, Spike had no idea he would meet his future wife there. God, he’d almost not allowed Angel to talk him into attending that ridiculous Church Social. What if he hadn’t of gone and met ‘seen’ Buffy for the first time? Spike didn’t even want to think of that possibility!

Buffy stirred in his arms and snuggled deeper into his embrace, her soft mouth was pressed against his bare chest. Spike smirked a bit when a really wicked idea came to his mind. Even though they had stayed up, most of the night and early morning ‘reconsumating' (as Buffy called it, each time with a lovely giggle) their marriage vows; Spike found that this morning, his dick was as hard as ever and he wanted to do nothing more then bury it into his beloved wife’s warm, wet little cunny.

So, when Buffy murmured something softly in her quasi-sleep, Spike began to tickle her wet cunny folds with first his fingers, then his ever growing cock. When he pressed the head of his into Buffy’s welcoming slick little passage, ever so gently, her eyes sprang wide open.

“Will!” Buffy squealed in delight, masked by a poor act of mock horror. “What are you doing,” she gasped in a high-pitched note as Will thrust himself completely into her. Not that it wasn’t wonderful of course but……

“I kind of thought you had what I was ‘doing’ all figured out by now, Princess,” he chuckled wickedly. “Especially since we ‘did’ it all last night and straight into this mornin’ and all.” He placed little kitten kisses all over her face and mouth quickly, even as he slowly pumped in and out of her.

“Yes, but…..” Buffy began breathily, but was cut short by Will’s handsome mouth on hers.

“Oh, the heck with it,” Buffy sighed dreamily into Will’s mouth. ‘It’s not like I don’t love ‘it’ anyway,’ she added to herself with her own mischievous grin.


A/N: I hope the little bit of Spuffy at the end of the chapter was enough this time. I wanted to give Lorne some closure in the story and I thought that having him basically run off with Cassie would be kind of neat.

Thank you for reading and please review. I love reviews of all kinds, spufette.