Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter is for fun, kind of. The angst will start in the next one.
Chapter 25: ‘Desert Song’


Summary: The gang is closer to their destination. I’m writing a lot of this plot line now from memory of when I lived in the vicinity of where it takes place. The area can be very brutal and unforgiving.

The next chapter will be full of more information and plot line, hopefully exciting plot line.


Miraculously, or perhaps more tenaciously then that; the rag tag gang of outlaws and Buffy had made it to the outskirts of Tucson in just a few days. Actually, it was a few nights, truthfully, since that is mostly the time the group traveled.

The desert heat was brutal during the day, making it almost impossible to rest or sleep. Nighttime travel was a necessity for the gang; they could only hope that the posse from Redemption was doing the same.

Although some of the gang headed into Tucson, after they made camp, Spike and Buffy opted to stay put for the day. There was no need for them to go completely into the makeshift town, especially since all’s they truly needed was each other.

“We’re nearly in the middle of town." Buffy rather overstated as she stripped off her gauchos and blouse. William was already naked, waiting for her to join him in the comfy looking bed.

A kind elderly farmer and his wife had offered the group shelter, near Tucson. Buffy had the inclination that either Angel; Rupert Giles or one of the other gang members had connections with the old man. She chose not to pursue the question; just thankful that they had a roof over their head and a nice bed to use.

“Come ‘ere,” Spike ordered with a husky growl as he watched his wife undress. His blue eyes were dark with lust as they surveyed the naked glory of his mate.

“You’re ordering me about now?” Buffy asked in mock indignation. “Why, I oughta,” her sentence was cut off when William leapt out of the bed and grabbed her, pulling her down onto the bed with him.

“You oughta’ what, wife?” Spike rasped hoarsely as he dispensed with the premise of restraint. He hadn’t ‘had’ his wife in two days or nights and he intended on making up for it; right this moment.

“Not orderin’ you about, sweetheart,” Spike murmured in a husky lust filled voice. “Just wantin’ to make up for the two days I haven’t been able to do this…..”

He spread her luscious bare, long legs and pushed his cock into her slick little cunny. “There now,” he grunted as he began to thrust in and out of her. “Is that so bad then?” He asked seductively as his mouth crashed down onto hers.

“Mmmmm,” Buffy purred in a kiss laden muffled voice. “Not bad at all,” she giggled wickedly once she’d pulled her lush mouth from his. “I think, in fact, that we’ll need to spend many hours, husband, making up for lost time!”

“Buffy, Buffy, I love you so much,” Spike purred in between kisses and thrusts. He chanted her name like the prose of a song.

“I love you, Will,” Buffy panted each time they came up for air from their kissing.

Later, they lay together; their bodies entwined in sexually sated contentment. Their mutual, soft sighs blended in tune like a sweet melodic song.

“Will,” Buffy murmured, breaking the tranquil silence between them. “There’s more then one reason for our being so close to this town. Isn’t there?”

Buffy sat up on the bed and gazed into her husband’s blue eyes. She knew he would not, and could not lie to her and that was for certain. Her William would never lie to her; especially if she asked him a question point blank.

Spike sighed heavily; he reached over and down to the floor to pull a smoke from his trousers. This was going to take some explaining to his wife and he had to prepare himself for her reactions.

“Yeah,” he mumbled nervously as he lit the cigarette and took a deep, satisfying drag from it. “There is a few reasons for takin’ a chance so close to a larger town, baby.”

“What is it,” Buffy asked attentively, her anxiety level began to rise. Especially when she noted the anxiousness in her Will’s indigo blue eyes.

He couldn’t believe it, but Spike’s hand shook uncontrollably as he continued to smoke his cigarette. Finally, he finished the smoke and stubbed the butt out in an ashtray on the little table next to the bed.

When he finished, Spike wrapped his left arm about his wife and placed his right arm under his blond head. He stared up at the ceiling of the room and took a deep breath, for courage.

“We’re headin’ into Apache territory, Princess,” William mumbled; his voice tinged with pain and something Buffy was unused to from him. Fear.

“Yes and…..” she stammered, her own fear was bubbling to the surface, but she bit back hard on it. Her husband did not need a wife who was going to act like a coward now.

“Like Angel says,” Spike continued cautiously as he held his bride tightly to his body, trying to offer some comfort. “Old Cochise, the chief; he isn’t so interested in the likes of us, that’s for sure. He’s more for goin’ after the US Army and mining caravans. That kind of makes us mates, you know. The Apaches and us,” Spike looked down at Buffy’s pale face and wide green eyes.

“Ethan Rayne and Ben Masters, they own a lot of interest in the mining rights out here in the Territory. Every time Cochise’s family makes a hit on the mining trust? They hit Rayne and Masters in their guts, or their pockets; depends on how you look at it.”

Buffy swallowed hard and nodded slowly, unable to break her gaze from William’s intense blue eyes. Maybe Cochise would leave them alone; maybe not. There had to be ‘some’ reason why Angel and the others chose to take their chances; closer to town.

“The rest of the way,” Spike began again, pausing only to place a quick kiss on the top of Buffy’s golden head, “we’ll be stickin’ close to the towns and settlements. It is best, really,” he added thoughtfully, his brows scrunched together.

Finally, exhausted from their love-making and talking, Spike and Buffy fell asleep in each other’s arms.

Just a few hours later...... Reality set in.

Spike and Buffy were awakened by the clatter of boots, hitting the wooden floor of the kindly farmer’s house. If that weren’t enough to wake the newlyweds; the loud, boisterous crowing and bantering of the obviously drunken members of the returning gang sealed the deal.

“Well, so much for our catching up on some much needed rest, eh?” Buffy asked Spike with a wry, wicked smirk.

“Yeah, and it sounds like my Da is leadin’ the others in the revelry,” Spike grunted in reply. His mouth was twisted into a disapproving scowl and his brows were scrunched together.

“Oh, let him have his fun,” Buffy snorted as she hopped up from the bed and pulled on her hastily discarded clothing.

“You’ve never seen Pop’s drunk,” Spike sighed, “believe me, it ain’t pretty, Princess.”

Spike slipped out of the cozy bed and dressed quickly; then followed his bride out of the bedroom door. God only knew what would greet them on the other side.

Well, what greeted Spike and Buffy wasn’t ‘too’ much of a horror, really. It was kind of how you looked at it, Spike supposed.

His father, the epitome of British gentility was standing on some makeshift soap box. The older man’s blue eyes gleamed with merriment; his ever present spectacles were no where to be seen. Rupert Giles’ usually well groomed hair was, at the moment, was a mass of tousled curls.

Mr. Giles was doing his best imitation of what Buffy assumed was a saloon entertainer; a tenor perhaps. He would have pulled it off, too, if he could have kept from stumbling off the soapbox at least ten times.

“So, that’s where you get your spikes and waves, eh?” Buffy giggled mischievously. “From dear old Dad?”

“Yeah,” Spike grumbled, a bright blush flowed up his neck and into his face. “He’s three sheets to the wind, he is,” the blond male mumbled in disapproval.

“He’s acting cute,” Buffy murmured with a light laugh. “He’s having a great time,” she purred as she tried to hold her husband back.

“He’s acting moronic,” Spike hissed back in reply. “I’m putting a stop to this nonsense right now,” he spat in embarrassment.

Spike strode over to his father and crossed his arms in front of his chest. “Dad,” he began through gritted teeth, “time for you to come down from there and pull yourself together. My God, man, my bride is witnessing this ridiculous display and…..”

“It’s my boy!” Rupert exclaimed in a high pitched squeal. “And there’s his lovely little bride! Aren’t they the most beautiful couple you’ve ever seen? My grandchildren are going to be bloody gorgeous!”


Before Spike or Angel could catch him, Rupert and taken a misstep and tumbled right off the makeshift stage on onto the hardwood floor. The older Giles fell flat on his face before Spike, Buffy, Angel and the others.

“Dad!” Spike cried in horror as he bent to help his old man up off the floor.

When Spike and Angel managed to pick the man up; they checked immediately to see if he was hurt in any way. Imagine their surprise when Rupert burst out into laughter.

“Good thing I’ve lost my glasses, eh son?” Rupert asked Spike, his laughter pealed through the room. “I’d ‘ave broken the fucking things if I hadn’t…..”

“How much did he drink, Angel?” Spike mumbled to his cousin; his blue eyes were narrowed into slits.

“Too much, but then again, maybe not enough Spike,” Angel chuckled good-naturedly. “Christ, he’s the father here. Get over it and let him enjoy himself for once.”

“Let’s see how much he enjoys the bloody hangover in the morning,” Spike growled. “Come on Dad,” Spike grumbled, let’s get you to bed.”


“Your Buffy reminds me of Jenny, son,” Rupert said as his son led him off to a bedroom. “She’s a peach of girl, is Buffy,” Giles continued to ramble, even as Spike got him into the room and closed the door behind them.

“Had too much whisky, at a saloon in Tucson,” Angel stated the obvious. “Well, maybe it was more then one saloon?” Angel laughed outright and shrugged.

“Hmmm,” Buffy murmured as she eyed the closed door.

“Uncle Rupert really misses Aunt Jenny, you know?” Angel mumbled in a sorrowful voice.

“I know, Angel. The whole tragedy, back in England…it was,” Buffy’s voice trailed off and she found she could not look at her husband’s relative any longer.

“It was awful,” Angel sighed deeply in response. “The ugliness reared its head here too, Buffy,” he continued in a hushed tone. “Benjamen Masters backed the scum that burned my folks place to the ground, back home. Especially with his unending mass of wealth. He was behind a lot of ugliness that took place here, in the States, after the war.

“I know,” Buffy murmured gently.

“He’d be lost without you, you know?” Angel whispered; his dark eyes on the closed bedroom door. “Spike, he’d be lost without you, Buffy.”

“I’d be quite lost without him, Angel,” Buffy admitted quickly; her voice was low, soft and tender.


“We have to move out,” Angel barked suddenly at the few men who stood about, in various stages of drunkenness and soberness.

Spike came out of the bedroom and joined his wife and cousin. The blond gave Angel a ‘what the fuck’ look. Angel quickly cleared things up.

“The posse from Redemption,” Angel began in a nervous tone, “they’re getting’ closer daily. They ‘did’ take the red herring bait we left and headed towards Globe, just out of Phoenix. Thank God,” he grunted harshly.

“Only problem is that they’ve figured out it was a trick and now they’re back on track. In Tucson, I found out that Merrick has connections, even in Globe. He discovered that we’re headed towards Nogales and not Tombstone or New Mexico. I’m sorry Buffy,” Angel stated sincerely, “but we’ll have to leave tomorrow and ride straight through to the nearest settlement. It’s called Green Valley.”


A/N: I was going to make this a really long involved chapter. I will give away this much of the next chapter’s plot line:

Angel and Xander have some nice surprises waiting for them in Green Valley!

Thank you for reading, please review. This chapter is kind of a filler piece; not really much more. There will be some more angst in the next few chapters, but his is getting close to the end.

spuf