Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for reading and please review.
REDEMPTION


A/N: I just received some sad news from my mother: My sister’s beloved stepson ‘Christopher’ passed away. He was a wonderful man; kind, sensitive and caring. Chris loved his family, his partner Tony, cooking and baking and yes, All My Children. I am dedicating this chapter to Christopher; oddly enough I had already written a character named Christopher into this chapter.


Summary: The gang makes it to Green Valley where there are a couple of pleasant surprises awaiting Angel and Xander!


Chapter 26: ‘Running Out Of Time’


“I don’t like it,” Johnathan Levison muttered as he rode out to the Summers’ farm. “I don’t like this one bit,” he scowled when the main farmhouse came into view.

Johnathan was on a mission; sent by his beloved wife, Amy, to keep Mrs. Hank Summers informed about Caleb Montgomery.

Caleb had been in town just yesterday, at the Harvest Moon Saloon, complaining about the inept posse from Redemption. The posse that had headed out after the Crawford gang and of course his so-called fiancé, Buffy Summers.

Montgomery had been drinking heavily, as usual, and started talking big about going out after the gang himself. He’d even tried to muster up some willing men at the saloon to go with him.
Fortunately, the other drinkers in the bar hadn’t imbibed enough to take the foolish man up on his requests.

Now, Johnathan was in a big quandary and that was a complete understatement. Caleb Montgomery, like the Summers’ family and most of the rest of Redemption didn’t know the whole story. They didn’t know that Johnathan was more closely connected to the whole situation then anyone might guess.

Amy, Johnathan’s beloved sweet little wife was related to Angel Crawford. No one, not even Johnathan’s best friends, Daniel and Willow Osbourne, knew of the family connection that Amy had to the errant outlaw gang.

While Angel and his younger brother, Connor, who was pretty unknown also, rode about robbing banks and the like? Amy had been brought to Redemption years ago; her loving family’s way of saving the young girl from the South’s post-war sorrows.

Even though Amy had moved on; made a new life for herself and all; she still had the fierce sense of Crawford pride in her. Like Wesley, Amy’s uncle, Johnathan’s wife had carved out a life for herself in Redemption, but still held onto her loyalty to the Crawford family from Alabama.

Johnathan Levison was not so much afraid of his and his darling Amy’s secret involvement in the robbery at the Redemption bank. Rather, the elfin-like Johnathan was more concerned with the loud public bravado of one Caleb Montgomery.

Amy Levison had insisted that her husband ride out to the Summers’ place and let the mistress there know what was going on with Montgomery. Johnathan knew Joyce Summers would be angry with Buffy’s ex-fiancé; in that there was no question. What worried Johnathan was that Mrs. Summers might just act on her anger and confront Caleb.

Some time ago, Johnathan Levison and his wife had come to the conclusion that Caleb Montgomery was not the man he presented himself to be. In fact, Amy always claimed that Montgomery was missing a screw or two in his twisted brain. The still mainly unknown horror that occurred at the Red Garter, with that poor whore, Harmony, seemed to prove dear Amy’s theory.

Now, Johnathan, with Amy’s encouragement, felt the need to ride out and warn Joyce Summers of Montgomery’s intent. It was just a matter of time before some fool hardy young men, or old ones for that matter, would take Caleb up on his request.

Pretty much everyone in Redemption had heard that Buffy Summers was planning to call of her engagement to Montgomery. That was just before she was taken by the Crawford gang, or more specifically, Spike Giles, Angel Crawford’s British cousin.

Apparently, Caleb Montgomery had not taken heed of Joyce’s words and the man was making a complete ass out of himself in town. First there was that awful incident at the Red Garter. Then they had heard of Montgomery’s drunken outbursts in Redemption’s other watering holes.

“That’s all Marshall Merrick and poor Hank need,” Johnathan grunted in disgust. “A loose Cannon like Caleb Montgomery and say those wild Tucker boys to take off after them and…..”

Johnathan trotted his beloved stallion, Wizard, up to the Summers’ front yard. He was not surprised when Joyce met him on the steps of her wooden front porch.

“Afternoon, Mrs. Summers,” Johnathan greeted the respected matriarch warmly. “I need a word with you,” he finished evenly.


For some reason, Buffy Summers-Giles was becoming almost fond of the Arizona Territory. There was something about the whole territory that somewhat reminded her of Nebraska, her home.

Arizona, like Nebraska, had miles of desolate, barren terrain, this was true. However, there were some areas in this foreign dessert of Arizona that were quite beautiful to Buffy.

‘When this is all over,’ Buffy mused as she rode along next to her wonderful husband. ‘When this is all over, and we’re safe? I’m going to write this all down, in my journal. I’ll have it to recite to my fat little grandchildren,’ she thought happily.

“We’ll head into Green Valley,” Rupert Giles was telling Spike and others as they rode along. “There’s some family there; albeit distant relatives, they…..” Buffy’s attention wandered from her father-in-law’s explanations.

William had told Buffy about Green Valley once before. Apparently, it was some kind of settlement; quickly thrown up no doubt. So many of these territory towns and villages had been quickly built; simply to house miners’ families and the like.

The Arizona farmers and ranchers tended to stick closer to the larger cities and towns; leaving the struggling miners certain and others to the smaller places. Buffy supposed that one day, even a small, struggling settlement such as Green Valley would become a major town in this desolate place.

“Yup,” Buffy mumbled with a half-smile as the gang trotted into Green Valley. “It’s just as I thought,” she giggled to herself.

Green Valley was a mining settlement and not much more then that; that was for sure. All up and down the ‘main’ street, there were small, ramshackle buildings; houses and such haphazardly thrown up here and there about the settlement?

Buffy spied the local parish, right off; obviously a Catholic institution. Most of the local miners and their families were ‘gringos’ or whites; but the Spanish/Mexican influence still held the sway here; culturally and religiously.

Spike helped his wife down from her horse, Buttermilk, cautiously. He loved Buffy with all of his heart and soul and wanted her to be as secure and comfortable as possible. At least as comfortable as she could be; or the rest of them could be.

That posse from Redemption would catch up with them; Spike had no doubt of that. He only hoped that they were already across the Mexican border before that happened.

God willing they could stay one step ahead of the posse because Spike knew their time was running out. He also knew that everyone else in their group must have at least suspected as much, including his beloved wife.

“It’s not much Princess,” Spike offered apologetically to Buffy. She rewarded him with her most dazzling, loving smile.

“It is fine, Will,” she replied honestly. “I’m thinking that we can get some kind of warm baths here and that alone is a blessing.”

“Cousin Rupert!” A strong male British accent greeted Spike’s father.

Buffy watched, a bit anxiously, as a tall, good looking man of about thirty hurried up to the group of outlaws. Apparently, this was the distant relative Buffy’s father-in-law had spoken of.

“Chris!” Rupert Giles called gleefully to the younger man who carried a small child; a girl, in his left arm. This Chris held, in his right hand, the hand of a woman in perhaps her early twenties.

The youngish woman was most likely Chris’ wife and the mother of the young daughter the man carried. Buffy had never seen a more beautiful child in her entire life and that was for sure. Of course, the young mother was lovely also; an exotic beauty of obvious Asian descent.

“This is my cousin’s son, Christopher Bothwell,” Rupert stammered proudly as he motioned to the young man, woman and child. “I see you’ve added some additions to the family, eh Chris?” Rupert chuckled as he eyed the trio before them.

“This is my wife, India,” Christopher pointed at the beautiful woman next to him. “Our daughter, Lily Flower,” he held the gorgeous child up for all to see. Christopher’s obvious pride in his family caused Buffy to be most vocal with her own praises.

“That girl is the most beautiful child I have ever been blessed to see,” Buffy gasped in admiration. She reached out and touched Lily’s golden cheek, gently, with her right hand. The small girl grinned at Buffy; her wide eyes surveyed this strange blond woman with child-like curiosity.

Lily was a beauty, no question. With her blue-green almond shaped eyes and long black hair, Buffy knew a future heart breaker when she saw one.

“You remember my son, William, right Chris? This is his bride, Elizabeth ‘Buffy’ Giles,” Rupert quickly introduced the couple to his cousin’s son.

“Of course, Uncle,” Chris grinned at the newlyweds happily. The young man was quite pleased that his cousin’s young bride had been so quickly enamored with his beloved daughter.

“Kit,” India interrupted the introductions in the most polite way as she tugged on her husband’s arm. “I think Angel Crawford and Xander Harris have some wonderful surprises to see at our home,” she finished with a sly smile.

“India calls me Kit,” Christopher explained with a bright red blush. “I don’t know why,” he continued, “but I like it and…..”

“Kit!” India hissed good-naturedly. “Please my husband,” she mumbled impatiently. “This way,” the lovely woman motioned to the Buffy especially as she pointed to the end of the main street.

“I met my India at quite a fancy party, in California,” Christopher Bothwell babbled on as he led the group of outlaws to his home. “She is the most amazing woman I have ever known,” he continued happily.

“Her father is quite of the old guard in San Francisco. Her mother; Lotus Flower, is said to have been a Japanese royal, kidnapped at a young age from her native Japan.” Christopher gave Buffy a roguish wink and Spike had to laugh. Suddenly, things didn’t seem so damned desperate for some reason.

“They smuggled Lotus here, to the States,” Chris continued, obviously happy to relay the whole sordid tale. “My father-in-law, old Nathan Hamhearst saw the young beauty and made a contract to marry her. India was soon born and….”

“Kit,” India sighed in exasperation, “you speak too boldly husband,” she admonished the fair young man.

“I am sorry my love,” Christopher mumbled under his breath. “I’m just so bloody proud of my little family and with another babe on the way? Who wouldn’t want to announce my joy from mesa to…..”

“You have another child coming?” Buffy asked quickly; she had taken an instant like to this odd, yet caring couple.

“At Christmas time,” India murmured proudly. “A little Christmas baby,” she finished with a wide, joyful grin.

“But now,” India continued with a giggle, “I think there is a more immediate surprise waiting, here, in our home. For Angel and his friend Xander.”

India threw open the door of the somewhat lavish wooden house and motioned the two men inside first. Buffy stumbled into the warm, cozy abode and noticed right off the two women who stood by the fireplace. A short, very pregnant blond woman and an obviously unnaturally dyed red-head stood with their backs to the gang. Both women turned and grinned at the group of men and Buffy as they entered the humble, yet tidy house.

“Darla!” Angel nearly screeched as he broke from his group and ran across the living room to his wife.

“Anya!” Xander squealed like a school boy; following soon after his friend and leader. He swept his little wife up into his big arms and hugged her tightly.

“Oh, God, baby I’ve missed you,” Angel crooned to his wife as he picked her up and hugged to her him.


“I’m huge,” Darla Crawford grumbled loud enough for everyone to hear. “I’m as big as a horse,” she began to cry softly.

“You’re a sight for sore eyes,” Angel murmured tenderly, placing his wife back onto the floor. “A beautiful, wonderful sight for sore eyes,” he gushed happily.

Buffy swore she saw a tear slip down the big man’s cheek, but her attention was soon drawn to Xander and his wife.

“Oh, honey,” Xander was babbling to the red-headed woman. “I’ve missed you so much.”

“You better have,” the attractive woman replied evenly. “Who the hell is that?” This Anya noticed Buffy and glared at her suspiciously.

“That’s Spike’s new bride, Buffy Summers-Giles,” he quickly responded. Right now, everyone was unsure of where Xander’s wife’s sour mood had come from.

“Oh,” Anya grunted, placated by her husband’s explanation. “As long as she’s not some camp whore that came along to…..”

“Anya,” Xander groaned unhappily. “Please, baby,” he continued a little more brightly, “don’t talk like that. Buffy’s a lady and Spike’s wife now. You shouldn’t…..”

“It’s fine Xander,” Buffy offered diplomatically. “Your wife is just so happy to see you that she doesn’t want anything to spoil your reunion. Right?” Buffy shot Anya a most charming smile and the other woman seemed to warm up quickly to her.

“I say we have a bit of whisky and celebrate,” Christopher blurted out tactfully. “My India has made our extra rooms ready for all of you and a marvelous supper. You must be starved,” he continued jovially.

“We’re off to Nogales, come sun up,” Rupert declared happily as he sipped his whisky. “Then its on to Mexico and freedom!”


“We’ll catch them, in Nogales,” Marshall Merrick declared to the posse he led. He especially wanted Hank Summers to know of his intentions.

“We’ll catch the whole bunch of them before they cross that damned border,” the marshal added smugly. “What do you say Summers? When we catch up to the whole nasty bunch; shall we hang them before a jury can give them a trial?”

Hank Summers cringed, briefly, but said nothing in reply to the formidable man he had followed to Arizona. Something in Hank told him that it would not be so easy; when the posse caught up with the Crawford gang and his new, disreputable son-in-law.

After all, there was true human feelings at play here and Hank was not so cold hearted that he did not fear the pain his daughter may suffer from this. It caused a deep, stark pain to stab at Hank’s heart and he was afraid that many horrible deeds just might be acted on sooner rather then later.

“Yup,” Merrick continued with a gruff chuckle, “Angel Crawford and the Giles boys are running out of time.”


A/N: I hope this chapter was well worth the wait. There was a ‘hint’ dropped in the chapter; do you know what it is?

Thank you for reading and please review, spufette.