Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm posting a short chapter of this one before I go on vacation.
I hope you will read and enjoy.
REDEMPTION

Summary: Our couple is finally in Nogales, Arizona. However, things are coming to a head and the posse is…..well, please just read and find out.


Chapter 28: ‘Border Town’


They had finally made it to the outskirts of Nogales Arizona; just a few hundred yards to the border and freedom. Buffy often wondered, later, why they had hesitated, any of them, to make a mad dash for the invisible line that separated the United States and Mexico.

It would prove to be a life altering experience for everyone involved in this little drama. Spike and Buffy would certainly never forget it.

“I think we should stick around here for a while,” Buffy heard Anya Harris whine from the corner of the room. “I don’t see why we….”

“Oh come on Anya,” Holden chuckled gleefully, “I can’t wait any longer to get across that border and find myself a pretty little local girl. They’re real beauties down there, I’ve heard,” Holden continued without a thought to Anya’s sensitive nature.

“That’s just what bothers me,” Anya huffed as she shot Holden an angry look. When Connor near giggled, Anya glared at the boy with daggers in her dark eyes.

Buffy didn’t understand why Anya was so jealous or insecure all of the time. In the short time she had known the tempestuous woman; Buffy had seen her jealousy flare up a number of times. It seemed odd to Buffy; especially since it was so obvious that Xander loved his wife dearly.

“Ignore them,” Buffy gently ordered her traveling companion. “They’re single men; lonely and miserable without the love of good women like us,” she added with a wry smile.

Anya seemed appeased for a moment so Buffy took the opportunity to fetch herself and the other woman a cup of water. It was incredibly hot in Nogales, Arizona and Buffy too wondered why they dallied there. Why not head over the border and to assured freedom while they had the chance.

“I’m thinkin’ we should head over the border as soon as possible,” Angel muttered as he took the offered water from Buffy. The tall, dark haired man made a bee line to his wife, Darla.

Darla hadn’t done so well in the last two days and it was beginning to show. The pregnant woman look haggard and drained of energy; her lovely blue eyes were dull and lifeless.

“It’s too damned hot and dry,” Buffy grumbled while she retrieved some water for herself. “Darla ‘should’ rest,” she vocalized with determination, joining her husband’s cousin’s weary wife.

“I know,” Angel sighed heavily. “But we’ve got to get over that damned border,” he continued defensively. “That posse is too damn close and…..”

“Angel Crawford,” a stern, booming voice was heard from outside the building the gang inhabited.

“This is Marshal Merrick of the Lincoln, Nebraska Legal Association. You are hereby ordered to surrender to this deputized posse; you, your associates and any ‘hostages’ that you may have in your possession!”

“Oh my God, Angel!” Darla gasped in fear as she clutched her heaving tummy.

“Darla!” Buffy cried, protectively wrapping her slim arms about the pregnant woman.

“Angel! Rupert! Anya! Help!” Buffy screeched desperately while Darla fainted in her arms.

“Fuck!” Angel exclaimed, rather summing up everyones’ feelings in the small building.

“Get to the windows; arms drawn,” Spike ordered the rest of the men as he motioned his cousin to see to Darla.

“Buffy, get in the back room. Take Anya with you,” Spike commanded his own wife.

Buffy literally handed Darla to Angel and stood tall; well as tall as a short woman like her could.

“I’ll do no such thing,” Buffy spat defiantly. “I’m staying out here, with you and…..”

“Do as I say,” Spike repeated through clenched teeth. “This is no place for women.”

“Oh, and I suppose the only place for women in laying prone, in a bed or…..” Buffy was cut off immediately by her father-in-law.

“Please Buffy,” Rupert pleaded quietly, “do as William says. Go into the other room, close the door and stay put. For me if not for yourself?”

Buffy stared at her father-in-law and saw the serious, worried look in his blue eyes.

“Come on Anya,” Buffy whispered in defeat. She took Xander’s wife by the arm and headed into the little room in the back of the building.

Buffy gazed at her husband, longingly, just as he gazed back at her in return. She reluctantly headed into the back room, hoping against hope that things would turn out for the good.

Angel and Darla had already moved into the smaller back room and Buffy feared that the excitement might bring on a premature birth of their child. One thing was for sure; Buffy was more then certain that there would be bloodshed this day.

She could only hope that it would not be her beloved husband’s bloodshed.

“Oh, God, Buffy,” Angel whispered in horror. “I think Darla is going to have this baby and it’s way too soon. She….”

Buffy looked at Angel’s terrified ashen face and became physically ill herself. It was true, Darla did look as if she was going to have the baby, and soon.

All of her years on the farm had made Buffy fully aware of the the cycle of life. Sometimes it went off without a hitch and sometimes there were snags in the normal way of things.

Buffy was sure that if Darla gave birth now, then it would be a catastrophe. She knew that Angel’s wife was in no way close to her time and even in the best of circumstances, Darla would most likely lose the poor little baby.

“We have to do something,” Angel whimpered as he tenderly stroked his wife’s clammy brow. “Buffy, what can we do?”

Angel looked to his cousin’s wife, anxiously, his dark eyes filled with terror.

Buffy took a deep breath and nodded her golden head slowly, “we will help her,” she assured Angel. “We’ll do everything we can,” she added with determination as she again grabbed Anya’s arm.

“Go find some pans; there has to be some kind of pots and pans,” Buffy mumbled as she pushed Anya back out the room’s door. “Heat some water and…..”

“But the posse? The….” Anya whined, eyeing the door nervously. “What if they start shooting and all? My Xander? Me? Buffy, I don’t want to…..”

“Go!” Buffy growled at the trembling woman. “Go now,” she ordered again, less viciously this time.

“Okay,” Anya replied in a little girl’s voice.

After Anya and scurried out of the room, Buffy hurried to Darla’s side and efficiently lifted the woman’s dress and petticoats up.

“Do you feel like the baby’s trying to come,” she asked the frightened prone woman.

“No, not really,” Darla whispered, her lips white with terror. “It just hurts for some reason and I don’t know much about babies. There was a girl, where I worked before Angel and she got in the way but our employer? She knew a way to….”

Darla looked at her husband with shame. Angel, for his part took his wife in his arms and held her tightly.

“I love you,” Angel murmured to Darla lovingly. Then he looked at Buffy, silently pleading for help.

“Don’t worry,” Buffy grunted, patting Darla’s damp arm. “If this little tyke insists on coming into this world now? We’ll make sure he or she comes in right and proper.”


A/N: I made this short on purpose. First off, I wanted to get another chapter in before my vacation. Also, I’ve changed the plotline somewhat and need to do some research to finish it.

Thank you for reading and please review, spufette.