Author's Chapter Notes:
I?m really trying to keep this story on canon, but in the time frame it?s set. Harder said then done, I?m afraid.

My daughter is trying to help me ?tweak? a picture gallery for the story, using the characters, of course, and placing them in an 1876 atmosphere. Hope it works, eventually!

I have a question, for anyone that might know? When does James M. debut on ?Smallville? on the TV? I?m guessing September, for the new season. ?Entertainment Weekly? (which I admit I take!) did this write up on the cast members of BTVS. James got a high ?stake award? for his new gig on Smallville as Professor Brainiac. (I am clueless on Superman, etc.) The only thing the writers of EW did not like was that James will not have his gorgeous bleached blond locks! They took away one stake for that! Tee hee.

So, any answers? Any info? Please E me or answer on reviews here! Thanks, spuf
Chapter 5:

"Where is Nogales?" Buffy asked Spike again, noting that the blond outlaw could not meet her gaze with his intense blue eyes.

"Border town," Spike replied abruptly as he stared off past Buffy's slim right shoulder.

"A border town?" Buffy squeaked nervously. "As in a Nebraska/Wyoming border town?" She tried to the mask the hopeful tone in her voice.

"As in the Arizona Territory and Mexico border, Buffy," Spike mumbled quickly. "Now," he continued with authority, "give us your foot, Princess."

What could Buffy do? She did as she was told and turned to grab the horse?s saddle while William took hold of her booted right foot. After he had lifted her up by foot and waist onto his horse, he pulled himself up behind her once again.

"Summers," Buffy sighed inwardly and flinched when William placed his hands on the reins once more. Around her tense body, of course. "You are in a hard, bad place girl," she groaned silently.

Spike and Buffy rode on, following the rest of the gang in total silence. "This is going to be a long, long ride," Spike sighed inwardly. "You really are a piece of shit, Giles," Spike chastised himself, silently. "You had to drag poor Buffy into this mess and just because you want her for yourself. Nothing to do with a real hostage at all," he noted guiltily. "You didn't need to bloody hoist her up onto your horse and."

The gang of outlaws, Spike and Buffy included, must have ridden for hours before they stopped again. It was well past sundown and the plains were enveloped in the deep darkness of night. Buffy realized that again, the group had come to some kind of bluffs. They rode a ways, up the green hillside and finally came to a kind of dale, surrounded by pine trees.

Buffy spied a rather unobvious cabin or shelter of some sort, set right in the middle of the little clearing. She tensed, realizing that this must be the destination, at least for tonight.

"What's this?" Buffy asked William suspiciously when they all stopped next to the cabin.

"This,"Spike muttered softly, "is home. At least for the next couple of days that is."

"Oh," Buffy murmured, still overwhelmed by all the drama of past day.

Spike slid off of Midnight and then turned to help Buffy down from his horse. This time, he did not make the mistake of waiting for her to slip into his outstretched arms. He reached up, clasped Buffy by her waist and pulled her down into his eager arms.

"Let me go," Buffy hissed as she struggled in William's strong arms.

"Doubtful," Spike chuckled wickedly with one of his smirks.

"You'll all be hung for this. You know that, right?" Buffy frowned even as she stated the warning.

"We all have to die Buffy," Spike replied evenly, "might as well die happy. With a beautiful girl like you in my arms and."

Buffy yanked herself away from William and pushed past him, into the rather poor little cabin. She had no idea what to expect in that abode, but right now it seemed better to be inside. Away from William Giles and his strong arms; blue eyes and oh yeah, his masculine scent. It was a scent that Buffy had never noticed on any other man and for some reason, it confused her.

Once she had stepped inside the rough cabin, Buffy's worst fears were realized. It was dark, dank and a more then unclean.

The first thing she noticed was a young man, a boy really, sitting on a rough hewn chair, at a table. At first glance, Buffy could tell the boy had to be related to the one they called Angel. He was a younger, smaller version of the outlaw. Too old to be Angel Crawford's son, the boy must have been about thirteen or so? Perhaps this boy was Angel's younger brother?

'"Hello," the boy smiled shyly at Buffy. "Who are you?"

"Buffy Summers," she spat in response, suddenly sorry she was being so curt with this mere boy.

"He's not much older then Dawn," Buffy realized. "Probably not even in this on his own accord," she reasoned.

"What's your name? How old are you?" She nearly grilled the young boy.

"Connor Crawford," the shaggy haired youth answered with a wide grin. 'I'm Angel's brother and I'm just thirteen," he confirmed.

"Connor," came Spike's deep voice, "this is Miss Summers. Treat her with respect, here me?"

"Yes sir. Is Miss Summers your girl, Spike?" Connor blushed bright red, but his wide grin remained intact Buffy noticed.

"No! I am not 'his' girl!" Buffy answered before Spike could. "I am a hostage, however," she finished with a snort.

"A hostage?" Connor asked in disbelief. His brown eyes were wide in fear and disbelief. "Why do we need a hostage cousin?"

"Because Graham went and mucked everything up, that's why!" Spike growled angrily. "Besides I?"

"According to your Uncle Rupert," Buffy interjected, "your wonderful cousin here would have taken me anyway. Seems he wants to?"

"Go out and see Angel," Spike ordered the boy gruffly. "Where's Jesse," he added curtly.

"Out back. He's teaching Robin how to string a bow and arrow." Connor replied before he scurried out the front door of the cabin.

"So," Buffy finally sighed after the boy had gone, "there are more of you? And a young boy in the mix?"

"Fraid so," Spike answered with a shrug of his shoulders. "Connor?s my little cousin, Angel's brother. Jesse is Xander's little brother and Robin are just, well, he's Robin."

Buffy shook her blond head and flopped down on the chair that Connor had vacated. "And you do not see anything wrong with bringing a thirteen-year-old boy into this mess?" She gave William an accusing glare even as she glanced about the rustic cabin. Frankly, Buffy was near starving by this time and wondered if these hooligans intended on feeding her anytime soon?

"Of course I see something wrong with bringing a youngster like Connor into this," Spike hissed defensively. "It's not my choice. Angel's in charge of his brother, not me or Dad."

"Convenient," Buffy snorted as she stood and wandered over to the wood burning stove. There was a huge pot of something cooking on top of that stove and it did smell delicious to her.

"What's cooking?" Buffy asked innocently, stopping to sniff the wonderful aroma of the cast iron pot. She did truly try and be unobvious, but the aroma from the pot was making her drool, most unladylike and such.

'I am nearly starved," she realized. "I need food and now!"

Spike smiled as he watched his angel try not to drool over the apparent stew on the stove. Some deep evil inside of him made him want to prolong her hunger, make her beg maybe, to have a bite to eat and?

"Hungry Princess?" Spike whispered seductively as he narrowed the space between him and Buffy.

"Uh huh," Buffy replied in a hungry daze. "Very," she added shyly as she eyed the pot with longing.

"Well, then we must feed you," Spike chuckled deeply. "He took Buffy by the arm and set her back down on the chair, then pulled a bowl out of the cupboard. Next he set ladled some stew into the bowl and cut a piece of bread for Buffy. After he set the food in front of her, Spike did the same for himself.

He sat down, in the chair next to Buffy and nodded at her. "So eat," he ordered simply.

"I need to wash up," Buffy mumbled shyly. Her face was a hot, bright red by now. "I'm covered in dust and all," her voice trailing off to silence.

Spike nearly leapt up and dug around in the cupboard. He brought out a huge wash tub and winked at Buffy before heading out the back door of the cabin.

Buffy realized that this whole cabin thing was set in place and planned. The young boy, Connor, and the other two men? They were left here to watch and wait for the whole gang to join them.

In just a few moments, Spike returned with a tub full of water and a clean looking rag of some sort. He placed the tub on the counter and beckoned Buffy to wash up as she wished.

After she turned up her dress sleeves, Buffy began to wash vigorously with the milled soap bar and water in the tub. She splashed the tepid water onto her hands, arms and face, as lady like as possible.

Spike watched Buffy wash her hands, arms and face, daintily. As he gazed at this wonderful woman cleaned herself as best as she could; clear pictures of a possible future with her passed through his mind.

Before his eyes, he watched his Buffy as she washed her dusty body as well as she could, well, clothed that is. Spike saw visions of Buffy at 'their' own kitchen sink, of their own home. She would clean her hands and prepare their dinner, maybe a tot or two scrambling about her skirts as she worked. He would be tired and worn from a hard day's work, on a farm perhaps? Their farm; Buffy and his together.

"Thank you," Buffy snapped as she dried her hands on the clean towel Spike had placed on the counter next to the tub of water. "I needed that," she sighed wearily.

"You're beautiful," Spike suddenly blurted out to Buffy. He had not meant to vocalize his feelings, but it just seemed so damned natural to do it right now.

Buffy seemed totally stunned into silence, but she rallied back, quickly. "You should see me at my best. When I am not being held hostage and I have a clean change of clothes," she snipped coyly at the blond outlaw.

This caused both to the blonds to laugh, compatibly enough. Then Buffy remembered that she was not here by choice and flopped down on the kitchen chair. Without further ado, she tore into the stew with relish.

"This is good!" Buffy cried in near disbelief. "Do you think Connor made this?"

"Probably," Spike drawled slowly as he watched her eat. He appreciated her hunger and he was so happy that she was eating so eagerly. Deciding to join her, Spike began to eat his own portion of the stew, stopping only to cut a piece of bread for them both.

'Thank you," Buffy said politely as she bit into the bread with gusto.

"You're welcome Princess," Spike whispered as he ate his own supper, but watched her intently. It was nice to see a lady like Buffy enjoy her supper. The simple act of Buffy's happily supping brought him some sense of delight, and relief.

Angel and Xander took that moment to stumble into the simple kitchen room. Xander took in the cozy little scene between Spike and Buffy and grinned amicably at his blond friend.

'You two seem happy," Xander chuckled as he lit a rolled cigarette and took a long drag. "Do you mind Miss Summers?" The large Xander asked sincerely of Buffy. "The smoke I mean?"

"No,"Buffy muttered with a blush as she spooned the delicious stew into her mouth. "Not at all, smoke away," she added quickly. The remark about her and William being 'cozy' seemed to unnerve Buffy for some reason.

"She'll need more clothes," Spike stated matter-of-factly. "It'll be a long trip for Buffy. Do you think Connor could lend her some clean duds? He is about as close to Buffy's tiny frame and all." He directed his question at Angel.

"Me" Wear a boy's clothing!" Buffy gasped at the suggestion, as if William had told her ride naked into the mountains!

"You'll need something besides?" Spike began, but he was cut off by Angel.

"I bought some new duds, for Darla, in St. Louis. When we passed through there on the way up to Redemption," Angel informed the couple. "They're probably just about the right size for Miss Summers here," he added with a grin. "Not like Darla needs them too soon anyway. She's five months gone now, with our first child," he finished proudly to Buffy.

"Darla?" Buffy asked with a raised brow.

"My wife," Angel replied in a warm tone. "She's with Xander's wife, Anya, in Nogales, waitin' on us."

Buffy flinched at the name 'Nogales'once again as she remembered that this border town was where they were headed. She brushed off her qualms and said quietly to Angel and Xander, "your wives must be special women. For them to love their husbands so much. This life of yours and theirs must be difficult and it would take a special woman to love you despite the hardness of it."

When she had finished her verbal thoughts, Buffy glanced over at William and noticed he was staring at her. There was a look of awe on his handsome face.

"They are special Miss Summers," Xander responded reverently. "My Anya and Darla Crawford are wonderful, strong women."

It was then that Rupert Giles, followed by Connor and a new man entered the cabin?s small kitchen. The new man, a younger, smaller-framed version of Xander, must have been this Jesse fellow that was mentioned earlier.

"Damn Spike!" Jesse yelped when he spied Buffy. "This is a hostage! You sure know how to pick a hostage!"

Spike shot Jesse a murderous look, growling softly in his throat. He responded in a low, warning voice, "yeah, a hostage, mate. But 'my' hostage so don't be going and getting any ideas."

"Ethan Rayne must have been notified by now, eh Spike," Rupert broke into the little male drama that was playing out. "I wonder what his bloody ugly face looked like when he found out 'we' stole his money from him. Again." The older man chuckled gleefully and reached over to take a piece of cut bread for himself.

As he munched on the bread, Rupert eyed Buffy, thoughtfully. Buffy, eyed Rupert right back, her brows furrowed in her own thoughts.

Finally, she took the opportunity to ask the older Mr. Giles exactly 'why'Ethan Rayne seemed so important to all of them.

"Who is Ethan Rayne to you?" Buffy asked Rupert, rather boldly at that. "I know he is some Lord or something, back in England, but what is he to all of you?" She asked him, her head tilted to one side in question.

Rupert tossed the uneaten bread back on the table and snorted, "He is a monster, Miss Summers. Rayne is the monster that hides under my bed at night." With that, the older man turned and strode out of the kitchen.

"I am sorry," Buffy murmured shyly as she glanced at William. She could tell by the look in his eyes that this whole Ethan Rayne subject was basically taboo. "I should not have been so bold as to ask your father that question and?"

"It's all right Buffy, luv," Spike whispered softly, patting her slim arm with his left hand. "You got dragged into this mess, by me, and you have every right to ask certain questions. It's just that we're not ready, yet, to give you all the answers. Okay?"

"Okay," Buffy nodded slowly. She suddenly yawned, much to her embarrassment and tried to cover her mouth quickly. This brought a delighted smirk to William?s face and caused her to blush, horribly.

"Tired, yeah?" Spike asked Buffy unnecessarily. "Time for bed, eh?" He winked at the beauty next to him, hoping to cause another of those delicious blushes of hers. Happily, for him, it worked.

"Yes," she stammered shyly. "Actually, I am exhausted," she finished with another blush.

"We all are," Graham spat as he now entered the kitchen, followed by Gunn, Holden and Riley.

Buffy gave this Graham a nasty look, considering he was the one who shot Uncle Richard. Graham glared back at Buffy, but his look wasn?t nasty at all. It was rather more of a leer, Buffy noted.

"Let's go, Princess," Spike ordered as he stood up and took Buffy by her arm.

"Go?" Buffy asked nervously, glancing over at the other men in the room. "Go where?"

"To bed,"Spike chuckled merrily. "There's exactly three sleeping rooms in this dump and you and me get one of them." He tried very hard not to laugh out loud, or hear the sounds the other men were making in the room.

"I cannot sleep in a room with you!" Buffy cried indignantly. "I am an unmarried woman! An engaged unmarried woman and I am not engaged to you!" She pulled her arm away from William and just stared at the insane outlaw, in shock. Buffy tried very hard not to hear the loud laughter and whistles coming from the other men in the room.

"Well," Spike scratched the back of this head, lightly and pretended to think about what she had said. "I suppose you could bunk in one of the other rooms, with five or so of them?" He used his thumb to point at Graham in particular when he made his little angel this newest offer.

"No!" Buffy screeched in outraged alarm. "I am not going to 'bunk' with any of you"

"Now, Buffy," Spike said gently, trying not to smirk in her face. "We can't just let you sleep in a room by yourself, can we? You might get it in that pretty head of yours to up and take off in the middle of the night. Get lost out there in the wilds and maybe even run into a bear, or coyote. Or a wolf?" The blond outlaw grinned at Buffy, his brows raised up suggestively.

"You could tie her to the bed, in the one room I mean," Connor offered gallantly.

"I could," Spike chuckled as he eyed his tasty little Buffy, wickedly. "Or," he continued matter-of-factly, "I could let her sleep in the bed, rope free, and just sleep on the floor. A proper distance away from the bed, I assure you Miss Buffy." He grinned widely at the blond girl, delighting again in the scarlet red blush on her pretty face.

"I'll be good, William," she whispered, not looking at anyone at all. "If you make a big promise to stay on the floor, where you belong I will be good and not give anyone any trouble. Just please, do not tie me up. I do not think I could take being tied up like some animal."

Buffy finally met William's intense blue-eyed gaze with her own. She noted that his beautiful eyes held some sort of sympathy in them for her plight. Suddenly, Buffy realized something very; very important...she could trust him. William Giles could be trusted by her. For the first time in some twenty-four hours, Buffy finally felt somewhat 'safe'.


A/N: I really let my fictions slide for a while. We are remodeling and it?s kicking our a**es!

I am going to post another chapter of this fiction by tomorrow night. Actually, it's pretty much written and I will definitely give Buffy some insight to what motivates Spike, his father, Angel and some of the other outlaws.

Oh, and just how 'will' our couple make out in that separate bedroom by themselves???

Thanks for reading and please review, spufette.