Chapter 3

Spike tried to focus on what he was doing and not on the girl that was walking around his apartment in barely anything.

“I’m making a sandwich, you want one?” he asked her suddenly.

“Sure,” she replied.

He nodded and started to make another sandwich.

Buffy walked over to him and sat down at the counter. She propped her chin on her hands and stared at him. “So, what’s your story?”

Spike stopped to look at her. “I don’t have one.”

She wouldn’t believe that. “Come on, everyone has a story.”

Spike shook his head and turned away from her. “Not me,” he said softly.

Buffy decided to drop the subject, for now anyway.

He finished the sandwich and placed it in front of her.

She realized that she was hungrier than she thought and took a big bite out of it.

Spike smiled at her and started to eat his own sandwich.

They were both quiet, until Buffy felt something tickle her foot. She glanced down to notice the most adorable creature.

“You have a cat?”

Spike nodded. “Yeah, she must have been hiding in the restroom. She’s usually shy in front of new people.”

Buffy smiled and bent down to pick up the black and white cat.

The cat rubbed her face against Buffy’s and started to purr.

She laughed when it tickled her. “Animals usually love me. I always wanted one, but my dad thought it was too much responsibility. I could have handled it.”

Spike nodded in understanding. He couldn’t help smiling at the display.

“She is so cute. What’s her name?”

“Whiskers,” he answered.

Buffy raised her eyebrows.

“I know it’s not very creative. I just couldn’t think of anything else. It was either that or Fluffy.”

She smiled. “I think it works.”

He returned her smile and threw his paper plate away when he finished the sandwich.

“So, you only live with a cat?” she wondered after putting Whiskers down, only to watch the feline wander back into the bathroom.

“Yeah, pretty much.”

Buffy suddenly felt bad for him. “Seems kinda lonely.”

Spike shook his head. “It’s not so bad, really. I think I’m more of an animal person, anyway.”

Buffy nodded and tried not to be so personal, but she wanted to learn more about him. “You seem kinda young to be a cop. How old are you?” She figured that wasn’t too personal.

“I’m twenty-three.”

She nodded again. “Yeah, that’s a bit young.”

Spike agreed. “I started at a young age. Been training for years. I’ve wanted this ever since I was six-years-old. My father was a police officer and I always wanted to be just like him. He saved so many lives and I knew that it was something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I lost him when I was in high school, but I still wanted to be a cop. I knew that it would make him proud. Your father gave me a chance and saw potential in me when no one else did. I owe him a lot. He’s been like a second father to me.”

Buffy smiled when she thought of her father. “Yeah, he’s pretty cool. I won’t be following in his footsteps, though. The whole police thing just isn’t for me. I won’t even touch a gun,” she said and cringed at just the thought of it.

“Well, I guess it’s not for everyone. What do you want to do?” he wondered, suddenly wanting to know everything about her.

“I actually wanna be a teacher, which I’m sure some people would think is weird since I hardly even like school.”

Spike smiled at her choice. “What would you like to teach?”

“Definitely English, it’s my best class. I’ve always been a sucker for poetry,” she revealed, hoping that he wouldn’t think she was a geek because of it.

Spike only smiled at her. “I love poetry. I used to write all the time when I was in school.”

Buffy took on a look of surprise. “Really?”

He nodded. “I was bloody awful, though.”

She shook her head. “I’m sure you weren’t.”

Spike felt touched that she was trying to make him feel better about his poetry. “Thank you, but I really was. I was basically a nerd in high school. I used to write poems for this one girl. She was always my inspiration. I decided to get up the courage to read her one and she only laughed at it. Saying I should get a new hobby and that I was beneath her.”

Buffy gasped. “God, she actually said that?”

Spike nodded and still felt hurt by the memory.

“That’s horrible, what a bitch!”

He smiled now. “I don’t like to use that word, but I would have to agree with you there.”

“So, have you dated since then?” she asked, wanting to know if he was seeing anyone.

“To be honest, I’ve only had one girlfriend.” He knew where this conversation would lead and didn’t think he was ready for it.

“That’s it? How is that possible? Have you seen you?” She then blushed at her comment. “Okay, I didn’t mean to say that out loud.”

Spike smiled at how adorable this girl was. “Well, no one wanted to date me in high school. I met her in college and she changed my world. That’s when I became Spike.”

Buffy pointed her finger at him. “I knew that wasn’t your real name.”

He laughed. “What mother would actually name their child Spike? That’s just cruel.”

Buffy shrugged. “I don’t know. It could happen. So, what is your real name?”

Spike wasn’t sure if he should tell her, but he felt comfortable enough with her. “It’s William; I never liked it all that much.”

She smiled. “I kinda like it.”

He smiled in return and decided to move the conversation off of him. “Did your mother actually name you Buffy?”

She playfully slapped him on the arm. “Yes, she did. What’s wrong with my name?” she said with a pout.

Spike had a sudden urge to take her bottom lip into his mouth and suck on it, but tried to shake those thoughts away. “Nothing, it’s a good name. Just wanted to make sure.”

Buffy nodded and didn’t know what else to say, so she just gazed around the apartment. Her eyes focused back on him after a moment. “Can we watch a movie?”

He nodded. “Yeah, I have some movies by the telly. You can see if you like anything.”

Buffy smiled and ran over to the television. She started to look through his movies.

Spike watched her excitement, with a smile of his own.

She then let out a sudden squeal. “You have The Princess Bride? How cute is that? I don’t know of a lot of guys that would have this movie.”

Spike looked embarrassed now. “Well, it’s a good movie.” He didn’t even care to deny that it belonged to him. He figured she would see through that, anyway.

“Are you kidding? I love this movie. I haven’t seen it since I was little. We’re so watching it,” she said, putting the movie in.

Spike had to smile at her again. How was it possible for one girl to be so bloody adorable?

Buffy sat on the couch and waited for the movie to start.

Spike decided to make himself busy by fixing some popcorn. He knew he was in trouble. He hasn’t known her that long, but he was already starting to fall for her. The problem was that he didn’t even think he wanted to stop.