Chapter 8

Buffy and Spike were sitting on the couch and watching another movie.

The cat suddenly jumped on Buffy’s lap. She smiled and lifted her up. “Hey, Whiskers. Who’s a good kitty?”

Spike had to smile as well. “She loves you.”

Buffy turned her smile on him. “I love her, too.” She gave Whiskers a kiss, then placed her back on her lap.

“Do you know how adorable you are?”

Buffy blushed a little at the comment. “I have a feeling you’re not talking about the cat.”

Spike nodded. “She’s also adorable, but she knows that. I don’t think you know how much you are, though.”

Buffy looked into his eyes. “I’m just not used to hearing that.”

He leaned closer to her and gave her a kiss on the lips. “You’ll just have to get used to it.”

Buffy blushed again and turned back to Whiskers, who was now falling asleep on her lap. She stroked her soft fur and thought about what she wanted to ask him. “Spike, why did you agree to this?”

He didn’t know what she was talking about.

Buffy glanced back at him and saw the confusion on his face. She took a deep breath before she spoke again. “I just don’t know a lot of guys that would agree to look after a teenager. Why did you?”

Spike had a feeling she would ask that sooner or later. “Because Hank asked me to. I saw the look on his face and knew I couldn’t tell him no.”

“So, you were thinking about saying no?” she wondered.

“At first I was, but I knew I couldn’t. Then I saw your picture.”

She raised her eyebrows. “What picture?”

Spike grinned before he answered. “It was your senior picture.”

Buffy then felt embarrassed. “Oh god, I hate that picture. I was having the worst day. I can’t believe he showed you that. I told him that he should burn it.”

Spike laughed and kissed the tip of her nose. “I thought you looked beautiful.”

Buffy smiled. “So, that helped with your decision?”

“It didn’t hurt. I’m really glad you’re here, Buffy.”

She agreed and grabbed his hand, giving it a squeeze. “I was worried that you would be a perv or something. I’m glad I was wrong.”

Spike laughed again. “Yeah, and I’m glad you’re not a little kid like I thought you were.”

They both then turned their attention back to the movie.


* * * * *


A few days went by and Buffy was sitting in Spike’s room, with a worried expression on her face. She was clutching her stuffed pig to her chest.

Spike knocked on the door and then entered the room when she didn’t answer. He walked over to her and sat down on the bed.

Buffy spoke after a moment of silence. “Do you think he’s okay?” she asked shakily.

Spike nodded. “I’m sure he is. Hank is strong; he can pretty much handle anything.”

Buffy knew he was right, but she was still worried. “It’s been days, Spike. He would have called me by now. You don’t know how overprotective my dad is.”

“I think I have some idea. He’s probably just trying to keep a low profile. I’m sure he’ll call soon.”

Buffy clutched the pig tighter and looked up at him. “I’m scared, Spike. What if something happened to him?” she whispered and felt the tears blur her vision.

Spike moved closer and wrapped his arms around her.

She then buried her face in his chest and let the tears fall.

He kissed the top of her head and tried to soothe her with his words. “It’ll be okay, sweetheart. Your father’s a fighter. He wouldn’t let anything keep him away from you.”

Buffy nodded against his chest.

Spike just continued to comfort her anyway that he could.


* * * * *


Two more days later and Buffy still hadn’t heard anything from her father. She knew he could take care of himself and really hoped that he was all right. She didn’t know what she would do if she lost him. She already lost her mother and couldn’t handle losing someone else that she loved.

Buffy was walking out of the school and was about to head to Spike’s car, when someone blocked her way. She looked at the man that decided to grace her with his presence and sighed when she recognized him. “What do you want, Billy?” she asked with a bored expression.

“Just looking for you, Summers. I was hoping we could hang at the Bronze tonight, unless your babysitter has a problem with that,” he said with a grin.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “He’s not my babysitter. Just leave me alone.” She tried to walk by him, but he wouldn’t budge.

“Come on, why do you have to be like that? I was only teasing. We could have a lot of fun together,” he said huskily, running his fingers down her arms.

Buffy cringed at his touch and took a step away from him. “If I recall, we already had our share of fun. You said that was all I’m good for, right? You got what you wanted and then could care less the next day. I’m tired of you high school boys that don’t know what the hell you want. I’m moving on to someone a little more mature. Sorry to disappoint, Billy,” she said and walked away.

He let her this time, but then grew angry. “I told you, I go by Ford now!” he yelled after her.

Buffy glanced at him one more time. “Tell someone who cares.” She gave him the finger and headed over to Spike’s car that was waiting for her in the parking lot. She opened the door and got in.

Spike noticed the look on her face and wondered what was wrong. “You all right?” he asked with concern.

She graced him with a small smile. “I’m fine, just really tired.”

Spike didn’t believe that was the only reason. “Did that bloke say something to upset you? It didn’t look like he was a friend.”

Buffy shook her head. “More like a jerk, but it was nothing I couldn’t handle. I’ve dealt with him before; it’s not a big deal. Right now, I just wanna go home and eat a ton of ice cream. You do have ice cream, don’t you?”

Spike nodded. “Just bought two tubs of vanilla.”

She flashed him a brighter smile. “I so love you right now.”

Spike blushed and started the car, then drove away from the school.