“Rise and shine, love.”

Buffy’s eyes snapped open when she felt herself being pulled out of the bed.

“What are you doing?” she asked blearily, turning toward Spike as she tried to focus on him. “What time is it?”

“Around two in the morning,” he replied, guiding her out of the door and down the hall, one hand on her arm, the other on the small of her back as he led her through the house.

“Where are we going?” she asked, shaking her head to attempt to wake up a little.

“Change of plans,” he said, leading her down the stairs. “Gunn! Where’s Angel?”

“I sent him out the back,” Gunn said, moving around the living room.

“Right,” he muttered, walking through the kitchen and opening a door.

“Spike, what’s going on?” Buffy asked, feeling a slight tinge of panic when Spike began pulling her into the dark basement.

“I just told you, pet- change of plans.”

“And what does that mean? That the cops are going to find me in a ditch?”

Stopping for a moment, Spike turned around, loosely grabbing the back of Buffy’s neck, guiding her until she could barely make out his face in the dark room. “Do you honestly think that?”

“I don’t,” she whispered after a moment. “But I would like to know what ‘change of plans’ means.”

“It means that the little conversation you had with your father earlier tipped off the police to an idea, and they’re on their way here.” Seeing Buffy’s eyes widen, Spike’s hold on her tightened as he pulled her closer. “No ideas.”

“H-how…?”

“Police scanner,” he replied, feeling along the wall until finding the latch he was looking for. Sliding open the panel, he pushed Buffy inside, following after her and shutting the door, leaving them pressed together in the small space.

Unable to do anything else, Buffy hesitantly placed her hands on his chest, feeling his hands loosely settle on her hips.

“What’s going on?” she asked, looking up at where his eyes were supposed to be.

“Gunn talks to them, they go away.”

“You’re so sure about that?”

“No ideas, Goldilocks,” he repeated in a warning tone. “I mean it. I don’t have a gag with me, but I’m sure I can find something to keep you quiet for a while.”

Narrowing her eyes at the shadowy outline, Buffy turned her head away, listening intently.

“What is this place?” she asked, her voice coming out in a whisper.

“Old storage room,” he replied softly, still listening to any faint sounds coming from the other side of the door.

“Not much room for storage,” she muttered, hearing Spike chuckle in response.

“For wood, love. When they used the wood-burning stove down here.”

“Old house,” she murmured, her fingertips gently grazing over his covered chest before she realized what she was doing. Swallowing hard, she could almost feel Spike’s eyes on her. “How long do we have to stay in here?” she asked, restlessly shifting on her feet.

Closing his eyes when he felt her unknowingly rub her body against his, Spike exhaled sharply. “‘Til they leave,” he replied.

Misunderstanding the reaction, Buffy rolled her eyes. “Sorry,” she said sarcastically, her voice rising with her temper as her eyes adjusted to see him in the darkness.

Hearing the doorbell chiming upstairs, Spike clamped a hand over her mouth, hearing her indignant, muffled reply. “Quiet,” he said in a harsh whisper, wrapping an arm around her waist to pull her closer, feeling her heartbeat quicken, thudding against her chest, in response.

Spike listened to the muffled sounds of the officers moving around on the second floor, opening and closing the bedroom doors. Saying a silent prayer that nothing was in Buffy’s room that would link them to her, Spike gritted his teeth.

Listening for a few more minutes, Spike never noticed when his hand moved to the small of Buffy’s back, gently caressing it as if to put her at ease. Feeling her relax against him after a moment, he tensed up when he heard the voices getting closer.

“What’s down here?”

“Not much,” they heard Gunn say. “My grandparents used it more than I do. Just storing some of my old things down here now, as you can see.”

“I’ve done a lot to you, Buffy, but please…don’t say anything,” Spike whispered, his voice pleading with her, never moving the hand that was clamped over her mouth.

“Seen William Blake lately?” one of the men asked.

“He checked in with his parole officer the other day,” Gunn replied. “Came over, had a few beers- that was the last time I saw him.”

“Uh huh,” the officer said. “And Angelus O’Reilly?”

“Saw him about a week ago.”

“Any idea who might have the Summers’ woman?”

Spike tensed, his arms involuntarily tightening around Buffy.

“Haven’t watched much of the news,” Gunn said coolly. “Who is she?”

“Hank Summers’ daughter went missing. Being held for ransom. Seems like an awful big coincidence to have his only child disappear when you three get out of jail after assaulting him.”

“If you’re implying something, Officer, I hope you have a motive to back it up. I’ve never met Hank Summers’ kid, and I sure as hell don’t want to see him again.”

Hearing the sound of footsteps going up the stairs, Spike leaned toward the door slightly, hoping to pick up on more of the conversation.

“Well, if you hear of anything, you’ll let us know?”

“Of course, Officer.”

Listening to the officers leaving the basement, Spike hesitantly moved his hand away from Buffy’s mouth, watching her to make sure she wasn’t going to try anything.

“Thank you,” he whispered, breathing a sigh of relief.

His relief was short-lived when he heard the officer’s voice again. “Left my flashlight- I’ll be up in a minute.”

Seeing the indecision on Buffy’s face, Spike put a hand around the back of her neck, guiding her lips to his in a tender kiss. He had no idea how she would react to him, hoping this worked to his advantage. Testing the waters for a moment, Spike paid close attention to her. She didn’t try to deepen the kiss, obviously taken by surprise with the shock of it, but she didn’t bite him or try to yell, either. He was hoping that was a good sign.

Brushing his tongue against her bottom lip, his hands tangled in her hair when her lips parted. Pressing her against the wall behind her, Spike felt her begin to respond as he deepened the kiss.

Forgetting where they were, both nearly jumped apart, turning toward the source of light that flowed over them. Staring for a moment, Gunn looked back at them with an amused expression before clearing his throat. “They’re gone. Coast is clear…but if you two would rather stay in there…”

Gunn trailed off, turning around to walk up the stairs.

“Funny,” Spike muttered, placing his hand on the small of Buffy’s back, nearly cringing when she tensed beneath his touch.

Spike’s jaw tensed as he followed her up the stairs. ‘Oh, this will be a fun night.’