Buffy glared at Angel as he walked into the room, turning to lock the door with a vicious flick of his wrist before putting the key in his pocket.

“So, what should we do to pass the time, lover?” he said, turning to face her and slowly walking toward the bed.

“I’ll never be your lover,” she said through gritted teeth. “And considering the sun is rising in less than an hour, I want to sleep.”

“Well, that’s no fun,” he said with a grin. “I was thinking we could utilize the time a little better.”

“Dream on,” she muttered.

“Now, Buff, you’re not being any fun,” he said, reaching into his pocket and extracting a handful of twine, delighting in the fact that Buffy’s eyes widened. “Be a good girl and turn around.”

“Like hell,” she said, immediately standing up and moving as far away from him as possible.

Gasping when Angel crossed the room, Buffy tried to make it to the bathroom, hoping to be able to barricade herself inside. Crying out when he grabbed her shoulders and threw her onto the bed, she struggled against him when his oversized body covered hers.

Muffling her scream with his hand, Angel pinned her wrists above her head, briefly removing his hand from her mouth to wrap the twine around them until the thin cord was biting into her skin. Doing everything she could to push him away from her, Buffy bucked her hips against him, freezing after a moment, her eyes wide in shock when he thrust his erection against her.

“No,” she said, gritting her teeth as she hit him with her bound wrists. Panicking when he used a second piece of rope to secure her to the headboard, Buffy screamed, whimpering when he punched her. She could practically feel her cheek swelling as her head snapped to the side, leaving her vulnerable and exposed.

Feeling his hands on the waistband of her pants, Buffy immediately began kicking him. “No! NO!” she screamed, managing to knee him in the chin, sending him reeling back from the surprise of the blow. Cowering into the mattress as much as she could when he prepared to retaliate, Buffy kicked him in the chest, feeling satisfaction at the sound of her foot connecting with his sternum.

Hearing a growl from Angel, she winced when he grabbed her hair, twisting it to fist in his hand, jerking her head at an unnatural angle until her body was arched, trying to ease the pressure in her scalp.

“You think it’s going to be that easy?” he hissed, tightening his hold on her.

“Do you?” she countered, feeling the anger building up inside of her.

“I love a challenge,” he said with a cold smile, pressing his hips against hers, sending a shudder of revulsion through Buffy.

“You really must be insane,” she said, narrowing her eyes. “To think that I would ever touch you.”

Eyes widening when she felt his hand clamp around her neck, Buffy lifted her chin, trying to get away from the pressure on her throat. Struggling beneath him, she gasped for breath, closing her eyes to try and figure out how to get away.

Inhaling sharply a moment later when the hand was removed from her throat, she breathed deeply, opening her eyes as she tried to focus on the situation.

“What the hell are you doing?”

Frowning when she heard the familiar voice, Buffy tried to get her eyes to focus, blinking away the black spots that formed as a result of her lack of air. Seeing Spike and Gunn pinning Angel to the wall, she breathed a sigh of relief, letting her body sag against the mattress.

“She wanted it.”

“So the girl who’s tied up and half-conscious on the bed wanted to be attacked?” Gunn countered sarcastically as Spike stepped away from Angel, only to slam his fist into the other man’s face.

Grabbing his shirt, he threw him against the wall when he tried to get away from both men. “We don’t do this,” Spike growled. “She’s here for us to get money- no other reason. We don’t hurt her, and we’re sure as hell not gonna let you.”

“Get off your high horse, Spike,” Angel said, spitting blood onto the floor. “We’ve seen the way you look at her.”

Glancing over at the bed, Spike saw Buffy struggling against her restraints, obviously more coherent.

“Ever heard of the saying ‘look but don’t touch’, Angelus?” Spike asked, narrowing his eyes on the other man. “Consider that rule written for you. In fact- don’t even look at her. You and I go way back, mate, but if I catch you doing anything-”

“Oh please,” Angel said, rolling his eyes. “You hit her the first night she was here.”

Smashing his fist into Angel’s nose, Spike swung him by the collar, throwing him at Gunn. “And now I pick on people my own size.”

“Not your size,” Angel ground out through clenched teeth. “I’m a hell of a lot bigger than you.”

“And look who’s the bigger man,” Spike countered, raising an eyebrow. “You’re still in on this plan, but that’s all. Don’t piss me off again.”

Waiting until Gunn dragged Angel out of the room, Spike turned toward the bed, quickly making his way across the room. Untying the ropes, he gently rubbed the raw skin, letting the pads of his thumbs trail over the tender flesh. He looked at her face, seeing her cheek swelling as a darker bruise was already beginning to layer over the one he had caused. “Are you alright?” he asked softly.

“What do you care?” she replied, shoving him away and wincing when her wrists bent at an odd angle. “You were the one who told me I had nothing to worry about. This was probably your fucked up plan from the beginning.”

“What the bloody hell are you talking about?”

“Good cop/bad cop routine. Obviously it works with kidnap victims. So what happens now, Spike? I’m indebted to the ‘hero’ because he saved me from the big bad guy? What’s the catch?”

“There’s no bleeding catch!” he yelled in frustration.

“There’s always a catch,” she muttered, clenching her jaw. “What the hell do you want, Spike?”

“That’s the way you want to play it?” he replied softly, his demeanor instantly changing as he walked forward until his body was pressed against hers. “Then what are you willing to give to ensure he doesn’t get near you again?” he asked in a low tone.

Looking up at him with saddened eyes, Buffy could almost see the pang of conscience in his when their gazes met. “You’re serious?”

“Why not?” he said with a shrug. “You obviously think that of me…don’t want to disappoint.”

“So I’m not just a hostage- now I’ve been downgraded to whore?” she asked in disbelief.

“What do you think?” he said softly, leaning lower until his lips were nearly brushing against hers.

“Get away from me,” she whispered in a low voice, refusing to back down when he smirked at her.

“You sure that’s what you want, love?” he asked, tilting his head.

“I’ll take my chances with whatever happens before I let you touch me,” she ground out, her eyes flashing as she looked at him in contempt.

“Fair enough,” he replied, turning and walking toward the door. “Just remember this, Buffy…I didn’t have to come in here tonight.”

“Then what are you asking me?” she replied, turning toward him with glassy eyes.

“Sometimes you have to look below the surface of things,” he said quietly.

Knowing that he honestly didn’t want her to get hurt, Buffy sighed. “I’m not going to apologize for what I said,” she murmured after a moment. “And I’m not going to thank you, either.” Seeing Spike raise an eyebrow, she continued, “If it wasn’t for you and your friends, I never would have been in the situation to need help. Can I please be alone now?”

Slowly nodding, Spike walked toward the door. “Good night, Buffy,” he whispered.

Listening to the locks turning on the other side, Buffy took a deep breath, staring unseeingly at a point on the wall. “Good night, Spike.”