Buffy woke up to the sound of the door being unlocked and was relieved when she saw Gunn walk in, holding a plate of food and a can of soda. He crossed the room and handed them to her, which she gratefully accepted, hearing her stomach begin to growl. Gunn walked to the chair that Spike usually used and sat down, watching her eat for a moment. She felt his eyes on her and looked at him, raising an eyebrow.

“What?” she asked quietly, worried.

“I’m just trying to figure out how a little thing like you could bruise a guy like Angel as much as you did,” he said, and she smiled, looking down. “You did one hell of a job hurting him last night.”

“Well, he deserved it,” she replied sharply, and he nodded.

“I completely agree,” he said, and she looked at him. “Angel’s a bit of a loose cannon, and he probably wouldn’t be involved in the plan had he not been there that night, but he was, so he’s going to be here until this all blows over.” She nodded and opened the soda can. “Spike and I are going to do everything we can to protect you. I’m sure you don’t believe that, but it’s true. We’re just trying to get to your father, not hurt you in the process.”

“I’m sure your intentions are completely honorable,” she said sarcastically before giving him a sad look. “I’m sorry- you’re not one of the guys who’ve been horrible to me.”

“I highly doubt Spike’s been nearly as bad as Angel,” Gunn replied, and she shrugged. “Unless he tried raping you, too, I wouldn’t hold Spike in the same regard as Angel.”

“I don’t hold Spike in any type of regard- he’s just one of my captors,” she said, and he sighed, standing up.

“He and I really aren’t bad men,” he said, walking to the door. “Angel’s usually not bad, either, but he tends to change around women, especially ones he sees as attainable or easy to… mess with.” He opened the door and grabbed his key. “You know, I didn’t really want to bring you into this initially, but it seemed like the best way to get to Hank.”

“I’m sure it did,” she said, looking at him scornfully. “But I hope now you see how very wrong you were.” He looked away and shrugged.

“The plan still isn’t over yet,” he said. “But for your sake, along with the rest of ours, I hope your dad goes along with what we want, the sooner, the better.”

“Yeah, me too,” she replied, watching as he walked out, hearing him relock the door behind him. She looked down at her food and sighed.

‘I just wish this nightmare would end already,’ she thought. ‘I never did anything to deserve this.’

* * * * *

Hearing the locks turning outside the door later that night, Buffy bit her lip when the door opened, expecting to see Spike walk through. Fear racked her body as she immediately shot to her feet when Angel appeared in front of her.

“Get out of here,” she said in a low voice, pronouncing each word as she stared at him.

“And if I came to finish what we started?” he asked, leering at her.

We didn’t start anything. I don’t want anything to do with you.”
“Come on, Buffy,” he said in a low voice. “You know you want it.”

Trying to stop the panic from welling up, she stepped back when he took a few steps toward her. “You touch me and I’ll kill you,” she whispered, holding up a hand as if it would keep him away.

“That might be an interesting fight,” he said with a smile. “Besides, I know how violent you are. I can be as rough on you as I want, and I’m sure you could take it, couldn’t you?” She clenched her fists and moved forward to try to punch him, but he grabbed her wrist and pulled her to him before wrapping his arms tightly around her and pressing his body against hers. “I bet you’ll be a wild ride, won’t you, baby?”

“What are you doing, mate?”

Breathing a sigh of relief when she heard the familiar British accent, Buffy nearly closed her eyes in relief and exhaustion. Spike stepped into the room as Angel let go of Buffy, slightly pushing her away from him.

“I thought Gunn and I told you to stay the hell away from her,” Spike said sharply, moving towards the brunette man and grabbing him by his shirt collar. “I warned you what would happen, Angel, and I’m not about to back down on that.”

“Then hit me,” Angel said, moving his arms out to his sides and smirking. “Give it your best shot, Spike.”

Spike clenched his left fist and punched Angel’s stomach, watching as the larger man bowled over and sank to the ground, clutching his abdomen. While he was down, Spike kicked him in the groin area, delighting in the scream of agony Angel let out.

Gunn suddenly appeared in the doorway, looking between Angel and Spike.

“What the hell is going on?” he asked, crossing his arms.

“He came in here uninvited,” Spike said, sparing a glance at Buffy, who had moved to the other side of the room, away from them. “He was trying to do something… again.”

Gunn walked to Angel and helped him stand up before grabbing his bicep and yanking him out of the room, throwing him across the hallway and into a wall before retrieving Angel’s key for Buffy’s room and putting it with his in his pocket.

“When this is all over, Angel, I want nothing to do with you ever again,” Gunn said, punching him. “You’re the most disgusting man I’ve ever known.”

Spike slammed the door before walking slowly over to Buffy, trying to see if she had any new visible bruises or cuts.

“Are you okay?” he asked quietly as he stood in front of her, noticing that she was slightly shaking.

“I’m fine,” she managed to say in an even tone, even though she was upset. “You can leave.”

“No, I’m staying in here until Gunn is through with Angel,” he replied. “Because if I go out there, Angel may not make it out of this house alive.” She saw how angry he was and raised an eyebrow. “What? Do you really think I take pleasure in seeing women get hurt?”

“I don’t know you, Spike,” she said, walking to the bed and sitting down. “And what I do know about you isn’t all that pleasant, so sorry if I’m skittish of you stepping in like this to protect me… again.”

“I told you yesterday and I’ll tell you again- I don’t want you to get hurt,” he said firmly. “This isn’t about you- you just got caught in the crossfire.”

“Because you brought me into it!” she said loudly, throwing her arms up. “You got me involved in this mess, Spike!”

“Because I thought it would help our cause,” he replied sternly, walking to his chair and sitting down, putting his head in his hands.

“Well, it doesn’t look like I’m helping much, does it?” she asked, looking at him. “If anything, all I’m doing is making you guys implode, which is a lovely thought, come to think of it.” He shot her a look. “Can’t you just speed your stupid plan up and make an exchange with my dad already?”

“At this point, any contact with Hank is bound to be a trap,” he said. “Or so we think.”

“I don’t give a damn if it’s a trap- I want to get out of here,” she said in a low tone, clenching her jaw.

“Well, doesn’t look like that’s going to happen for a long time,” he replied, and she sighed, laying back on the bed and staring at the ceiling. “A wee bit dramatic, aren’t you?”

“Screw you,” she mumbled.

“I wouldn’t give you the pleasure,” he said, and she looked at him, her jaw dropped in indignation.

“You’re a pig, Spike,” she replied, and he shrugged, smiling.

“There are worse things to be.”