Chapter 2 – Unexpected Surprises


“Why are you doing this?” Buffy asked, wincing when she was roughly pushed into the bedroom.

“Because I can,” he replied with a smirk as she whirled around to face him with a glare.

“Who the hell are you?” she asked, narrowing her eyes as he tilted his head to study her for a moment.

“Spike,” he finally replied.

“Spike?” she repeated with a snort, trying to cover up how nervous she really was. “That’s a name?”

“Better than Buffy,” he replied with a slight growl in his voice.

“Says you.”

Glaring at her for a moment, a slow smirk spread on his lips as he shook his head, noticing that she was subtly trying to work on the ropes that bound her wrists. Kicking the door closed, he advanced on her, seeing her eyes widen before he spun her around and untied her.

Not giving him a chance to think, Buffy slammed her elbow into Spike’s stomach, spinning around to smash her fist into nose before running for the door. Turning the knob, a small noise was ripped from her throat when the door didn’t move.

“No,” she whispered, struggling with the door, gasping when she found herself slammed into it.

“Now, you listen to me,” his voice growled at her, sending shivers up and down her spine as his breath brushed against her ear. “In case you haven’t figured it out, you’re now a hostage. You belong to me.”

Fighting the tears in her eyes when his hold relaxed on her, Buffy didn’t bother to turn around and face him, letting her nails gently scrape along the wood of the door. “What are you going to do?” she whispered, feeling her chin tremble.

Frowning as he stared at her back, Spike resisted the urge to close the distance between them and reassure her. Pushing ‘William’ away, he crossed his arms over his chest, waiting until she hesitantly glanced over her shoulder, looking at him with a cold gaze.

“What do you think, pet?” he asked, keeping his smirk firmly in place. “That we kidnapped you to be our sex slave? Not bloody likely.”

“As if you could get close enough,” she hissed, spinning around to face him with fire flashing in her eyes. “Now, what the hell do you want?”

“I already told you, Goldilocks,” he replied in a bored tone. “Money. Plain and simple. You’re worth a lot.”

“I don’t have any money!” she cried, resisting the urge to give him a bloody nose, knowing that she would probably get one in return.

“Maybe not,” he said with a shrug. “But your father has more than enough.”

“My father?” Buffy whispered in confusion. “What do you know about my father?”

* * * * *

5 Years Ago


Glancing over his shoulder, Spike gave his friends a nervous look as they walked through the darkened halls.

“I really don’t think this is worth it,” he muttered to Gunn, shaking his head.

“Come on, man,” Gunn replied quietly, looking through the halls. “You know this guy is a prick. He probably won’t even notice it’s missing.”

“I highly doubt it,” Spike said skeptically.

“Will you two shut up,” Angel snapped, walking up behind them.

Whirling around to face him, Spike glared at the taller man. “Who’s running this show, Peaches?” he asked in a menacing tone.

Narrowing his eyes on his blonde friend, Angel slowly looked away. “This is Xander’s thing,” he muttered under his breath.

“Do you really want Xander to be in charge?” he asked in a low voice so their friends couldn’t overhear.

“Let’s just get this done,” Angel finally said, walking to the front of the group.

“Xander,” Spike called softly, looking around the hallway. “Which one is it?”

“Up here,” the brunette replied, gesturing to the double doors at the end.

Preparing to break into the office, Spike was surprised when he reached for the doorknob and it opened without resistance.

“Alright,” he murmured in bewilderment before turning to face his friends. “Let’s get in, get out, and be on our way. Should have done this on my own,” he muttered to himself, opening the door to allow Xander into the office. “Where is it?” he asked, looking around the darkened room.

“It’s over…”

Glancing at his friend when he stopped talking, Spike noticed the shocked look on his face. Looking over his shoulder, he felt his blood run cold when he saw the man sitting calmly behind the desk, his hands folded over his stomach.

“I thought you might be showing up,” he said with a sadistic smile.

“Why’s that?” Spike asked, narrowing his eyes.

“When you plan on carrying out a foolproof plan, you might want to steer clear of discussing it in public. I have eyes and ears all over this city.”

“So, you caught us,” Spike replied in a bored tone. “Guess our plan didn’t work out. We’ll just be off, then.”

“I don’t think so,” he said with the same smile as he stood up. “You break into my building, into my office, to steal a priceless piece of art and you think I’m just going to let you walk out and be on your way? I don’t think so. The police are on their way.”

“Can’t say a breaking and entering charge has me trembling in my boots,” Spike said, crossing his arms over his chest.

“No…but when they hear how you threatened me and I had to defend myself, it might raise the stakes a little bit.”

“Threaten you?” Gunn jumped in. “We’ve barely said two words to you. You’re the one keeping us here.”

“What do you mean ‘defend yourself’?” Spike asked, narrowing his eyes as the man stood from his chair.

Everyone took an automatic step back when he immediately pulled a gun from the desk. As if an additional twelve inches of space would slow the bullet enough to get away from it.

“Just what are you planning, mate?” he asked.

“Like I said… I have to defend myself.”

* * * * *

Present Day



“So, that’s it?” Buffy asked skeptically. “You’re angry because my dad caught your little attempted robbery?”

“No,” Spike replied with a cold glare, taking a step closer to her. “I’m pissed off as hell because your dear ole da decided to have all of us locked away for five years… after he murdered my friend.”