Chapter 14: Feelings


Off in the distance the early birds sang their greeting to the coming morning. The lingering night fought vigorously to keep it position with its bluish/ purple hue blanketing the sky. Baby blue and hushed yellows crept their way stealing the night making way for the coming day.

Buffy woke still snuggling with Spike, whose left hand was resting on her hip, and she was currently using his right arm as a pillow. Sighing, a small smile played upon her lips, a girl could get used to this. And had to admit Spike made a pretty comfortable pillow.

Spike cracked one eye open glancing down at his goldilocks, admiring the slight smirk she was wearing. A bloke could get used to this, waking up with his girl in his arms.

Buffy watched as the first rays of sun light started to appear on the horizon, her mind free of all thought except the warm muscular body behind her,when a deep rumbled, sleep filled voice drew her from her musing.

“What’s got you in such a good mood this morning?”

Buffy slowly rolled over on the lawn chair careful not to fall off so that she was facing Spike. Laying her head on his chest she pulled his duster snug around them both.

“I was just thinking how nice it was waking up with you here.”

Stroking her golden mane Spike smiled into her hair, “Yeah, I was just thing the same thing kitten.”

*************************

The alarm clock sounded waking Joyce from her sleep. Rolling over she quickly turned off the alarm and glanced at the clock, it announced in its dim neon green glow that it was now seven am. With a small sigh she eased out of bed wrapping her-self in her lush house robe.

Heading down stairs Joyce remembered that she wanted to have a talk with her daughter later today once she returned from the gallery.

Arriving home later than expected last night she walked past Buffy’s room intending on a quick chat before bed, but stopped when she encountered the intimate moment between her two children.

Feeling like an intruder she hurriedly retreated to her bedroom, but she desperately wanted to know what was bothering her only daughter. Grant it she was the mother, and Buffy the daughter, but Joyce missed the old days, when Buffy confided all her problems to her. And now that she was almost an adult it was as if there was a gulf between them.

Entering the kitchen the aroma of fresh brewing Columbia blend greeted her bring a small smile to her features. Walking over towards the cabinets Joyce retrieved her favorite mug. Walking over to the kitchen sink she turned the knob on intending to rinse out her cup.

Movement caught her eye from the kitchen window and Joyce stared out onto the patio to see who or what was out there. Stilling her movements she could make out two figures, Buffy and was that Spike? Just when did they start becoming so close?

A even bigger smile danced across her face as she watched the two snuggle even closer under the leather duster after Buffy rolled over to face the blond next to her.

The elders Summers woman couldn’t help but warm to the idea that her daughter had feelings for her fiancés’ nephew. She always liked William, seeing straight through his tough guy façade. But she did have to admit she would have to get used to the idea of Spike and Buffy as an item. And how would her son react. She chuckled at the notion.

Joyce also knew that William was a way better match for her daughter than that Riley Finn. That over baring marine wannabe was to obsessive towards Buffy. Always noting her every move, he even went so far to coordinate their outfits for school when they were together. Breaking up with him was one of the best things Buffy had ever done.

Feeling like a voyeur Joyce quickly retreated away from the window to enjoy her morning cup of coffee.

**********************

Spike slipped his finger under Buffy’s chin lifting her face until her vision rested on him. The two stared at each other for some long moments. Spike ghosted his thumb over Buffy's slightly swollen cheek, where that wanker Riley assaulted her. His jaw clinched as he swallowed the rage that threaten to surface one again.

Lowering his head Spike placed a gentle kiss on Buffy’s wound as her breath caught in her throat. She slowly closed her eyes letting the feelings he invoked wash over her.

Spike wanted to tell Buffy exactly how he felt about her right then and there, how much she meant to him. She made him feel alive, when Buffy was around it was like nothing else mattered, nothing else existed. He felt she was truly his soul mate, no he knew she was his soul mate. He never wanted to let her go, but he also didn’t want to push her away.

‘ God, could this get any better?’ Buffy thought as she leaned into Spike’s gentle lips. She really wanted to tell him how she felt, how he made her feel. She couldn’t imagine feeling like this towards anyone other than Spike. How he made her tummy go all flip floppy with just his smile. How she craved his touch ever since they shared their first kiss in the cemetery that night. But did he really feel the same way about her as she felt for him?

Buffy desperately wanted to know, but she didn’t hold any false pretense either. Oh she knew Spike had feelings for her, but Buffy questioned just how deep those feelings ran. And the last time she opened herself up to someone she got burned, got burned bad.

“I think I should head in before my mom comes looking for me.”

“Yeah, wouldn’t want Joyce worryin’ about you now would we,” Spike replied in a low voice that rumbled from his chest.

“No, we wouldn’t want Mom all with the worries.”

Buffy replied brushing her lips lightly across his. With a sigh she slipped from his comforting embrace and from the safety of the duster.
Buffy slowly walked towards the kitchen door, stopping she glanced over her shoulder.

“I'll see you later tonight?”

The smile that stole over Spike nearly took Buffy's breath away.

“Yeah Buffy, not even wild horses could keep me away.”

Spike watched as Buffy disappeared into the dark kitchen. Standing he slipped his duster on, adjusted his collar and headed back to his house.

**********************

Closing the door behind her Buffy slumped against it releasing a small sigh. She really didn't want to say goodbye to Spike, but how would Angel react if he happened to find them like that. 'Stupid Angel!'

Releasing a frustrated growl she punched the door, “Ow, stupid ...”

“Good morning Buffy.”

Wide eyed with surprise the blond quickly whipped her head around to face her mother, sitting at the island sipping at her coffee.

“Morning, didn't think you'd be up this early,” Buffy announced walking farther into the kitchen.

Joyce smirked watching her daughter fumbled for a cover story as to why she was coming in at 7 in the morning.

“You and Spike looked pretty cozy out there.”

Quickly taking on the “deer caught in the headlights” look Buffy froze in mid stride.

“You saw that?”

Joyce set her mug down on the island top and walked over to her daughter. “Yes, I did Buffy,” she placed her hand in the air to silence any protest that might come her way.

“I trust that when you're ready you'll give me all the specifics surrounding the two of you. I for one ...”

Joyce was caught in mid-sentence when her eyes traveled over the bruising on her daughter's cheek.

“What in the world happened to your face sweetie?”

Self-consciously Buffy brushed her fingers over the offending mark casting her eyes down to the ground. Tears threatened to spill from her eyes as images of the previous evening came rushing back like a flood. Her bottom lip began to quiver as the first tear ran down her face. Joyce's heart broke as she gazed upon her daughter, a million possible scenarios played out in her head.

Quickly closing the distance between them Joyce engulfed her daughter in the biggest bear hug she could muster. The tears that Buffy was fighting to hold back burst through as she buried her face in her mother's chest. After some long moments Buffy's sobs turned into hiccups as she wiped her eyes on the back of her hand.

Joyce walked Buffy over to the kitchen table helping her down into the closest chair. Buffy's legs felt like jell-o and she quickly collapsed into the chair. Joyce placed another chair opposite to her daughter and sat down, quietly waiting for her to speak.

Buffy rested her hands upon the table playing with a grain of sugar trying to figure out where to begin. Joyce reached over placing her hand atop Buffy's hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

“I really really don't want to get into the whole thing mom so please don't make me, kay? It was Riley, he tried to do something really bad,” she swallowed hard pushing down the lump that wanted to break through.

“He ... oh god ... and Angel ... and Spike ... yeah. So then the cops came and Cordelia ... and then home.”

Joyce sat back processing and filtering through what Buffy had just told her. Being her mother she was used to Buffy's babbling when nervous or upset. She was pissed, she was infuriated, that that jerk would dare lay a finger on her daughter let alone try and rape her.

The two sat in silence for some time, Buffy composed herself once again stealing a glance at her mother. Joyce simply smiled at her daughter cupping her still damp cheek in her hand, rubbing soothing circles over it with her thumb.

“It will be alright sweetie. You'll see, he'll get whats coming to him.”

******************
A/N Sorry it took so long but I had pc troubles. But everything is fixed now and I will be working on chapter 15 soon. So leave me some feedback let me know what you think!