Author's Chapter Notes:
This will be the last one until I return...I'm running away for the weekend......
Buffy sat at her desk thinking about the first time she had met Rupert Giles. She had just entered Sunnydale High School, and he was their librarian. He always went out of his way to help those that came to him. He knew which books they would need and was willing to help no matter what the problem, be it school related or personal.

He had been there when her father first left, giving her guidance and support when she cried her heart out. The things she could not tell her mother, she told him. Never did he judge her or berate her feelings. He would just sit listening to her rants, offering suggestions and alternatives to letting her pain and anger out in a more constructive manner.

The day her mother died, he was by her side offering his support. When she needed help in financing her last year of college, he had pointed her in the right directions. When she returned back to Sunnydale, she found herself changed. She was no longer the sweet naïve young woman she had been, and she barely talked to her one time mentor.

She knew he would ask what had happened that made her change so. He was the one person other than her mother that she could not lie too. That made it difficult to face him and keep her secret, so she avoided him instead. Even now she knew he would take one look at her and demand she tell him what happened to make her avoid him of all people.

Needing to get her mind off the personal stuff, she opened the folder and started to read the information she would need to know. She would do everything in her power to keep her mentor's dream alive. It was also a conversation she did not wish to have with either Mr. Masters or Spike earlier. She felt it really did not matter at the time, and she wanted to avoid discussing anything so personal and private with either of them.

*******

Spike sat in his office reading the material before him. The more he read, the more he knew what this man provided was important to the community. This thought, brought a smile to his face as he snickered, "I'm more like you old man than you think."

He started jotting down ideas, so lost in his train of thought that he did not hear his office door open. A sudden noise caused him to look up and notice the pink clad, blonde female standing before him crying.

"Blondie Bear, he fired me," she cried.

"I'm sorry to hear that Harm." He tried to sound sincerely sorry, but failed.

"He can't fire me. You need to tell him not to fire me," she pleaded.

"It's his company. I have no say so in how he runs it," he explained, knowing his one drunken indiscretion with the bint was going to finally come out.

"But, Spikey…we slept together," she pouted.

"That's right, we had a one night stand. One I've told you before I regretted," Spike reminded her. "I was depressed and drank too much after Dru left me for that man with the head of a moose."

Harmony let her claws show as she hissed, "I'm sure a lawyer would see it in a different light."

"I'm sure he can paint it however you both want it to look, but you and I know the truth," Spike replied, with a heated glare. "I will not waste my father's time asking him to take you back. If you'd done your job, we wouldn't be having this conversation then would we?"

"What do you mean? I was good at my job."

"Not very good, might I say loose lips," Spike snorted. "You know how my dad hates gossip."

"I don't gossip," Harmony huffed, knowing she was lying.

"Then explain how Buffy knew about the Giles account," Spike said with a knowing look on his face.

"What, how, I don't know," Harmony stuttered, wondering what else the woman heard.

Spike noticed the panicked look on the woman's face and asked, "What else did she hear?"

"Nothing…I mean there was nothing for her to hear…I never said anything." Harmony knew she had just told on herself.

"Out with it. What else did she hear?" he asked, his patience growing thin.

"She might have overheard us calling her by her nickname," Harmony whispered, knowing all thoughts of keeping her job just flew out the window.

"What have I told you and the others about calling her out of her name?" Spike growled.

"I know, you never liked it when we called her 'Ice Queen'."

"No, I told you never to call her that in front of me or any where someone could hear you." The sound of Spike's voice made her cringe and wish she had never come in here.

"I'm sorry."

"It's not enough. Maybe you've learned something here," Spike told her seriously.

"What, sleeping with the boss's son doesn't always get you what you want?" she asked sarcastically.

"No, you twit. Maybe, the fact that you should perform your next job in a professional manner and competently would be a good lesson here. Maybe, if you put as much time and effort in the actual job as you did the gossiping, you'd be one heck of a secretary," Spike bluntly expressed his thoughts.

"So, I take it you won't talk to you father in my behalf," she sighed.

"You're right, I won't," Spike answered.

"Thanks for nothing, Spike," she huffed as she turned and walked out of his office, slamming the door on her way out.

Spike rolled his eyes after she left. The only productive piece of knowledge he obtained was finding out what had made Buffy cry. Knowing this only made him respect her more, and he wanted to know everything he could about Buffy Summers. He could still envision her eyes shining a brilliant color of green; almost the shade of jade, from when she had gave him the what for earlier.

"I'm not going to rest until I know everything I can about you, Miss Summers. Mark my words…everything." Spike chuckled before going back to reading about the Magic box.

*******