Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to my readers for this fiction. I hope it's enjoyable to you and please review.
Thanks,
spuf
Chapter 11: ‘Understanding Flapjacks’


Summary: Buffy tries to explain her and Spike to Dawn in the morning. Flapjacks get flipped and plans are formulated. I hope this rather ‘happy’ chapter is okay.


A/N: Hey, I’m dedicating this chapter to ‘Mel’ and my own big sister ‘Deb’ who has always been my idol. (My big sis’s birthday is tomorrow, October 2nd) Like Mel, I’m a little overwhelmed with the angst in RL and in fiction and need a break from it, truly. So this chapter is pretty much Spuffy fluffy happy go lucky stuff.

I hope you’ll all read this and enjoy it for what it’s about and all. It is kind of the calm before the storm, but please, don’t fret Spuffy lovers. Our couple will come out on top in the end!

Chapter 11:


Buffy awoke with a quick start and sat up in her bed, her heart beat wildly in her chest. Immediately, she realized a few things:

1) The thunder and lightening storm from just a few hours earlier was over.
2) The sunlight beamed through her huge window and lit up the bedroom like torchlight.
3) Dawn was sitting at the very foot of Buffy’s bed, grinning at her like a loon.

Before Buffy could conjure up number 4, she remembered that William was still asleep (?) next to her, in this very bed. So, at number 5, Buffy glanced, cautiously over at her lover and was relieved to find him, yes, still asleep. His handsome, but naked body covered respectfully, in her golden satin sheets.

‘He looks like an angel,’ Buffy thought warmly. Then reality truly set in and she realized that while her William looked angelic, he was truly closer to demonic. ‘He’s more like a devil,’ she snorted at her sappy sentiment.

‘Oh dear God,’ Buffy groaned silently as she eyed the still grinning child at the foot of her bed. For her part, Dawn appeared to be quite calm about this whole cozy scene. Sitting there in her blue satin jammies, her brown hair pulled back in a pony tail? The young girl seemed rather complacent with the whole ‘family’ scenario before her.

“Uh, Dawn,” Buffy mumbled with a blush, “what are you doing in here, now?”

“I was hungry,” Dawn replied matter-of-factly. “I opened your door and came in and hey!” The young girl grinned even wider, “did you and Mr. Spike get married while I was sleeping?”

“What!” Buffy gasped in shocked disbelief. “No! I mean, no, honey, we didn’t get married. Dawn,” Buffy cleared her throat and glared at the child sternly, “what are you doing in here? A real lady always knocks at a closed door,” she admonished the young girl, gently.

“I’m sorry,” Dawn whispered with a crestfallen expression. “I thought it would be okay to come in and ask for breakfast. I’m sorry, Buffy,” she whimpered. “Please don’t send me away. I’ll promise to be good and…”

“It’s okay, Bit,” Spike muttered in his half-sleep. “Princess Buffy is just a bit at odds with getting caught in the rough with the Good Knight. You run out and wash your face then. Buffy’ll be up in a wink and fix you breakfast. Right then?”

“Right Sir Spike,” Dawn giggled happily. “Can we make pancakes, Buffy,” she asked her idol wistfully. “Like we made yesterday? Can we?”

“Yes,” Buffy mumbled under her breath. “I’ll be out in a sec, honey and we’ll make some cakes. But, Dawnie,” she continued with a slight frown, “I want to explain something first, kay? Mr. Spike and me? We, well, we’ve come to an understanding of sorts and I don’t want you to be confused by it. Okay?”

“Kay, Buffy,” Dawn giggled and shot her a mischievous smirk. “I understand.”

After Dawn had left the couple in bed, Buffy turned to William and swatted him with her right hand. Gently of course, and on his bare chest.

“You,” she yelped in mock anger. “That was just great! The Good Knight, my ass! That kid’ll never be the same for coming in here and…”

Spike had heard enough of Buffy’s whining, so he grabbed her by the shoulders and pulled her down onto his now uncovered body.

“She’ll be fine,” he growled lowly as he pulled Buffy’s head down so that their lips crashed together.

“Mmm, Will,” Buffy grumbled in a muffled, kiss-filled voice. “I need to go out and make sure Dawn has breakfast and all,” she finished with a groan. William was probing her mouth with his tongue and the last thing Buffy wanted to do was leave her warm bed and his warm arms.

“Oh, fine, then,” it was Spike’s turn to whine like a school boy. “Go fix the Bit her flapjacks like a good mum. I’ll just hide out in here until…”

“You will not ‘hide’ out in here, William Jameson,” Buffy growled softly. “You ‘will’ get your sexy ass out of my bed, get dressed and come help with the flapjacks as you call them. I can’t have that child think that you’re just a permanent fixture in ‘my’ bed now. Can I?” She tried her best not to smile at the end of her tirade, but William caught the gleeful twinkle in her green eyes.

“You bet ‘your’ sexy little arse that I bloody well ‘will’ be a permanent fixture in ‘our’ bed. From this day forward, Buffy Summers, I have every fucking intention of sleeping in this bed, or the one at my place with you. Get used to it!” Spike pulled Buffy back down on top of him, just to make sure she felt the hard bulge between his thighs.

“Will,” Buffy gasped when she felt the tell-tale bulge of his early morning lust. “We can’t, not now,” she whimpered softly as he ran his wonderful lips over her right collar bone and down to her breast.

“Why not?” He asked in a muffled whine, as his mouth was full of Buffy’s pretty pink nipple.

“Because,” she squealed, trying not to laugh too loud, “Dawn needs me to fix breakfast. Now stop it, Will, I mean it,” Buffy warned him, pulling her tit carefully from his yummy mouth.

“Can we take a nap together, later, Princess? Can we, huh?” Spike begged, using his best puppy dog expression on Buffy. “We can make the Bit take a nap, this after, and then we can come back in here and…” He couldn’t finish because he was laughing too damn hard by this time.

Buffy rolled her eyes at her lover as she pulled on her panties and a more appropriate dressing gown. “You’re incorrigible,” she grumbled at William, who was now leering at her and waggling his dark brows.

“Incorrigible, maybe,” Spike chuckled lustily as he leered at his love with a heated smile. “But you love it, you little minx,” he finished with a lick of his lips.

“Oh, dammit, yes,” Buffy sighed in frustrated defeat, even though she smiled despite it. “Later, when Dawn takes a nap? We’ll come back in here and ‘nap’ together, you big baby.” Before William could come back with a smart remark, Buffy fled the bedroom.

“So you and Mr. Spike?” Dawn giggled happily as she mixed the eggs into the pancake batter. “You’ve come to an understanding?”

“Dawn,” Buffy began carefully, unsure of just how to answer the inquisitive six-year-old. “Mr. Spike and me,” she stammered, “we have a history together and it’s complicated. Like I told you before. We need to work out some problems and…”

“Make it less complicated?” Spike inquired from the kitchen doorway. He stared at his Buffy with a raised left brow, embarrassed by his sudden insecurity where she was concerned.

Buffy was relieved to see that her lover had bathed, dressed and was quite presentable for a breakfast with her and Dawnie. Or, was that Dawnie and her? What exactly was it, that’s what Buffy was confused about.

“Something like that,” Buffy muttered as she poured some orange juice into three separate glasses; one for each of them. Dawn hummed a sweet little tune as she mixed the pancake batter.

After they had eaten their breakfast together, Buffy asked Dawn to get ready for a bath. When the child had scurried into the guestroom to ready for her bath, Buffy turned to look at William, a look of worry in her green eyes.

“I’m afraid,” Buffy whispered softly as Will stroked her tiny hand with his larger one. “Dawn still doesn’t know about her father and I don’t have the heart, or the guts to tell her, Will. What can we do?”

“Don’t know,” Spike scowled briefly as he thought about the problem. “I just know that the Bit has wheedled her way into both of our hearts and it’s going to be bloody impossible to let her go. When we have to,” he frowned unhappily.

“Why do we have to?” Buffy asked stubbornly. “Why do ‘I’ have to let her go, Will? Look,” she continued as she stood up from the table and began to pace the kitchen floor. “We’ve already established that Dawn is my half-sister, at least to Larry Wilkens and half of New York, right?”

“Too right, but…” Spike began, but halted when he saw the look of determination on Buffy’s face.

“Why can’t I just tell people that Dawn will be living with me, now? From now on, we can let everyone assume that ‘she’ is my sister and I’ll be raising her here, in New York. Why not, Will?” Buffy whimpered slightly when he took her in his arms and pressed his forehead to hers.

“I’m all for it, Princess,” Spike murmured tenderly, “but there’s others,” he added with a dark frown. “Angel for one,” he continued bitterly, “he knows who the Bit really is and I don’t think he’ll take kindly to her been’ in your life. Much less me in your life,” he finished quickly. “Not that I give a rat’s arse what the great poofter thinks, or wants. I’m not walkin’ away from you, Buffy,” he persisted stubbornly. “Like I said,” he began again, snuggling his face into Buffy’s warm neck.

“Ooohhh, Angel,” Buffy spat angrily, “who cares what ‘he’ thinks?” She pulled out of Will’s arms and began to bang and clank the dirty dishes about in her sink. “He’s not worth the time of day and I don’t give a damn what he thinks or does, or even…”

“That’s my girl,” Spike chuckled deeply as he wrapped his arms about Buffy from her backside. “Who does give a fuck what that wanker thinks, right?”

“Right,” Buffy whispered as she stared into the sink full of dishwater and pans. However, her heart was still beating rapidly and she was actually terrified of Angel O’Connor, no matter how tough she tried to sound.

“Besides,” Spike purred seductively, “if you and me were to, you know? Get hitched? What says we couldn’t adopt the Bit as our own?”

Buffy spun around and stared, open mouthed into William’s honest blue eyes. “Hitched?” She gasped in disbelief. “William, before you and me even think about a relationship, we need to clear up some things and…”

“I’m already for my bath, Buffy,” Dawn called from the bathroom door. She had the new, fuzzy robe wrapped about her tiny frame and the sight of the small girl just melted Buffy’s heart like butter.

“I’ll be right there to run your bath water, honey,” Buffy murmured with a warm smile.

“Kay,” Dawn sang happily then turned and skipped back into the bathroom.

“We’ll talk about this later,” Buffy mumbled to William before she hurried to draw Dawn’s bath water.

“Oh, you bet we will,” Spike called after Buffy. He returned his attention to the sink full of dishes and rolled up his shirt sleeves.

Once he began to scrub the dirty dishes and pans, Spike started to whistle a little tune. One that Buffy had sang in the club, just weeks before.


“Can I go see the Charger today, Mr. Spike?” Dawn asked quite politely as she plopped down on Buffy’s couch, next to the blond man.

“I don’t see why not,” Spike replied jovially. “Buff,” he called out to his newly returned lover. “Can the Bit go see the Charger today?”

“I guess,” Buffy stammered as she entered her living room, dressed in a timid little pale yellow suit. It matched the color of the lacy dress that Dawn was wearing. Something Buffy had purposely arranged for some reason.

“I’ve got some errands to run, first,” Buffy mumbled quietly. “There’s some things I have to take care of. Dawn should go with me and all, first. Don’t you think Will?”

“I’ll take her to the track while you run your errands, luv,” Spike replied kindly. “The Bit will be fine with me, there. I’m meeting Giles and the others there anyway and it’ll save time. Meet us there, later and after? I’ll take my girls to Lindy’s for a late lunch. What do you say, Bit? Would you like that?”

“Oh yes!” Dawn squealed in delight. “I’d love to see the Charger and meet Buffy later! Can we, Buffy, please?” With her wide blue eyes that pleaded with her, how could Buffy turn the little girl down?

“Oh, okay,” Buffy sighed in defeat. “I’ll do my errands and meet up with you guys later at the track. But Will,” she glared at her smiling lover, sternly, “please be sure that those rag tag ruffians you call friends don’t influence Dawnie, too much. Right?”

“Right, Princess,” Spike grinned at his golden goddess. “The boys won’t turn our Dawnie’s head, one bit Not one, tiny bit.”


A/N: Like I said, pure fluff in this one because, frankly? I’m angsted out for the night. There’s fires to the north of me, fires to the east of me and only the ocean to the west of me.

At least the sunrises and sunsets in So. California are kind of pretty right now (due to the freaking fires and smoke, ash, particles, etc.)

Thank you, to everyone reading this. I do promise some slight Spuffy angst in the next chapters, but as usual, Spuffy will prevail!

Please read and review. Reviews make me smile! Thanks, spuf