Author's Chapter Notes:
Long time no update; I hope you read and enjoy.
Thanks.
Chapter 18: ‘Lady Guinevere’s Party’


A/N: I’m trying to finish this story up as soon as possible so I can devote my time to my other fics.


Summary: It is Dawn’s belated birthday party and it has a definite Camelot theme. Dawn is Lady Guinevere; Buffy and Spike are well, Lady Buffy and Sir Spike and the others are characters from Camelot also. You’ll never guess who King Arthur is!


The morning of Dawn’s belated birthday party dawned clear, sunny and beautiful, even by New York City standards. Buffy and Spike had planned the little gala to take place at the horse track stables so The Charger could attend. This is what Dawn wanted and this was exactly what she would get for ‘her’ day.

In the last few days, since Buffy had informed Angel that she was no longer ‘with’ him? Buffy had taken to staying at William’s place, after letting her housekeeper, Margaret go. She had, of course, given her longtime housekeeper good references and compensated her financially.

Spike had balked at the thought of Buffy being so kind to her ex-housekeeper. He could never stand the snobby bint, Margaret, and suspected she was little more then a lackey for Angelus. It no longer mattered, however, since Buffy had not only basically fired her help, but had put out the word that she was sub-letting her apartment.

His ‘girls’ were now securely deposited in his apartment, where they belonged, and Spike was happier then he’d been in years.

Although Buffy had been skittish at first, regarding her living with Spike, he soon (it took about all of an hour) convinced her that her place was with him. Of course, Dawn had been thrilled with the thought of her surrogate family being all together, so there was need to ‘explain’ things away to the six-year-old girl.

Dawn stayed in the guest room and never questioned her new found guardians’ sleeping arrangements. This relieved Buffy of any guilt about living in sin with William and a true sense of family that she had always yearned for.

“Are Xander and Riley going to be at my party?” Dawn suddenly asked Buffy with hopeful blue eyes.

“Now you know they are, honey,” Buffy chuckled softly in reply. “After all Anya, Xander’s girl, made all our outfits and Riley made sure to ask his wife Faith. A lot of people will be at the party like; Willow and her boyfriend Daniel; Mitch and Lars and they’re bringing along some dates I believe. Oh, even my old friend Cordelia promised to stop by and bring her husband, Officer Wilkens. You remember him; we met him a couple of times, right?”

“I remember!” Dawn cried in excitement. “I’m so glad The Charger can be there Buffy! Thank you and Mr. Spike too for having my party so soon!”

“No problem, Little Doll, believe me,” Buffy murmured happily as she straightened Dawn’s princess costume.

Buffy had gone to the local bakery, just down the street from William’s apartment, and meticulously picked out Dawn’s birthday cake. The cake, which was two-tiers of beautiful confection, was frosted with pale pink icing. ‘Happy Birthday Bit’ was written out in white confectioner’s sugar, across the top of the cake.

Spike had insisted that they use his term of endearment for Dawn on the cake and Buffy had complied. It made her smile to think of how quickly the little six-year-old girl had conquered both William’s and her heart, so completely.

She realized, Buffy did, that it was probably Dawn that had brought Will and her back together again. For that, Buffy would be forever grateful to the child. If things worked out, completely, then Buffy would be able to raise Dawn as her own; at least that was the plan.

Buffy wore a medieval gown of emerald green silk, to match her eyes. Willow was to wear a pale yellow dress, while Anya chose a sapphire blue for herself. Supposedly, Faith had balked at the idea of dressing up as a lady-in-waiting and would be attired in a simple street dress. Of course, Mitch and Lar’s female guests would be attired in the same manner as Faith, only probably a bit more subdued.

Buffy and the other female guests had not been so successful in convincing their guys to wear appropriate theme costumes. So, Spike, Xander and the rest of the boys would be wearing suits and ties; their usual daily wear.

She had not seen Cordelia or Faith in so long and Buffy smiled at the thought of catching up with them again. Even if it was at a child’s birthday party.

When Spike and Buffy had planned the party, they had worried about the lack of children who would be attending. Xander had come through, in the end, by mentioning his brother’s only son, Connor, who was now nine-years-old. Connor would make a perfect companion for Dawn during the party and Buffy welcomed the boy with open arms.

Once they arrived at the track, Spike spirited Buffy and Dawn into the little café that he frequented while there. The cafe had been transformed into a beautiful fairy-tale scene. Pink and gold streamers were strung everywhere while pink and yellow roses and carnations decorated every table in the place. A ‘Happy Birthday Dawn’ banner; the words printed in pink and gold too, hung over a massive table. The table was covered with a pink tablecloth and gold glitter was sprinkled here and there on it.

“Oh, Buffy! Mr. Spike! It’s simply beautiful!” Dawn squealed in delightful glee at the transformation of the track’s simple café.

“Glad you like it, Bit,” Spike chuckled and beamed proudly. “Nothin’ too good for my girls,” he added smugly as he gave Buffy a hug and kiss.

“Daniel and Willow are bringing lunch, from Katz’ Deli, Dawnie,” Buffy gushed. “Sandwiches and potatoe salad with pickles! Beer for the guys and sodas for us dolls,” she added happily. “We’ll have a bite to eat, then open presents, then there’s cake and…..”

“Anybody here,” came Willow’s airy voice from the café door. The red head scurried into the room, carrying a huge brightly wrapped box. Behind her, a short, also red headed male, followed closely. The man, Daniel, carried a huge deli box of obvious eats and deposited them on the pink cloth covered table.

“This should feed an army,” Daniel huffed, a bit winded by his load. “Hey there,” he leaned down to look Dawn in the eyes. “I’m Daniel Osbourne, Willow’s fella. You must be Dawn huh?”

“I am,” Dawn replied in an awe-like tone. It was obvious that the young girl had an immediate crush on the small, wiry red haired musician.

“Happy birthday Dawn,” Willow squealed girlishly. “I can’t wait until you open our present to you and…..”

“I thought we’d wait for the others and eat first, Wills,” Buffy interjected.

“Sure Buff,” Willow replied sheepishly, “I’m just so excited about the gift we bought Dawn and……”

Daniel shushed his fiancé and grinned at the birthday girl. “Have you ridden The Charger yet today kid,” he asked quickly changing the present subject.

“No,” Dawn drawled wistfully. “Buffy says I have to wait until later, after the party,” she finished seriously.

“But I think I ‘will’ call you Sir Daniel. It fits you,” Dawn smiled at Willow’s lithe boyfriend affectionately.

“Okay then,” Riley Finn bellowed from the door of the café. “Where’s the birthday brat?” He laughed heartily as he carried a huge brightly wrapped box into the room.

“Hey, pregnant woman here,” came a deep, husky female voice right behind him. Obviously, this was Riley’s pregnant wife, Faith, who followed her husband into the café. Actually, she really seemed to waddle after him.

“You could walk behind me,” Faith spat at her errant husband, impatiently. “I’m the one having the kid,” she grumbled. The dark-haired woman quit her bitching when she spied Buffy.

“B!” Faith exclaimed happily even as she threw herself into Buffy’s waiting arms. “It’s so good to see you B!”

“About damned time you and Spike made with the nice again,” Faith whispered into Buffy’s ear.

“Is that tears I see,” Buffy whispered in a shaky voice. “Tears in the brown eyes of the toughest gal in town?”

“Sure are,” Faith mumbled tearfully. “Hey, I’m pregnant; of course I’m emotional and……”

“All’s my girl could talk about was seeing her ‘B’ again,” Riley admitted with chuckle. “Buffy this; Buffy that; is all my wife could manage for the past two days.”

“I am glad,” Buffy murmured softly, clutching her one-time friend to her body.

“Me too,” Faith sobbed in response.

“I think this is getting way too mushy in here,” Daniel Osbourne groused.

“Is not,” Willow retorted.

“It is and…..” Daniel was cut off by Xander and Anya who slipped into the room.

“Hey everybody, this is my nephew, Connor Harris,” Xander chortled proudly, pointing to a good-looking kid who appeared to be about nine or so.

“Hi,” Connor mumbled shyly, his attention on the pretty little girl, who was presumably the birthday girl.

“Hi,” Dawn gushed, anything but shyly.

“So,” Dawn prattled on, “your uncle is Sir Belvidere, the steadfast knight of Arthur’s Round Table?”

“Huh?” Connor asked in confusion.

“Too bad, that later, Sir Belvidere loses an arm and….” Dawn began to ramble on, when Buffy intruded, politely.

“Dawnie is enraptured with King Arthur and Knights of the Round Table, Connor,” Buffy offered. “She has nicknames, for all of the guests today, from the stories about Arthur.”

“Oh,” Connor grunted, still a little lost at the conversation.

“Wanna’ go out and see my horse?” Dawn asked eagerly of the only other child guest.

“Now wait a minute, Bit,” Spike interrupted the plan quickly. “You need to be here when all of your guests arrive.”

“Okay Mr. Spike, or should I make that Sir Spike,” Dawn giggled mischievously.

“Do you like the gowns I made?” Anya asked somberly. “If you don’t like them, I think I should…..”

“She loves them, right Dawnie?” Buffy nodded at the young girl.

“Of course,” Dawn replied honestly. “Buffy’s dress is prettiest,” the child stated matter-of-factly. “The emerald green matches Buffy’s beautiful eyes,” she finished by crossing her little arms in front of her.

“I think my dress is best,” Anya countered firmly. “There’s not prettier color then blue, in any shade. Besides, Buffy chose the pink for you and the pale yellow for Willow. Why Faith Finn couldn’t have worn a dress in some color is behind me. Unless it’s because nothing can hide the hugeness that is Faith and…..”

“Now wait just a minute there, girlie,” Faith snorted; her tone suddenly terse and nearly angry.

“I think we should have some food,” Dawn offered. The young girl had a knack for averting arguments and trouble; so it seemed.

“I think you’re right,” Buffy agreed quickly. “Let’s give Mitch and Lars just a moment longer to arrive,” she added.

“Yes,” Dawn sighed dramatically, “we need Sir Percivale and Sir Bors with us, before we begin the feast.”

“Oh, brother,” Buffy rolled her eyes at William, who grinned back at her.

“So, who am I, Bit,” Spike asked Dawn with a slight smirk.

“You are Sir Spike,” Dawn answered, a look of determination on her pixie face. “There is not knight, even of the Round Table, who can rival you, Honorable Knight.”

Spike blushed, especially when Xander burst out into laughter and Riley snorted in disbelief.

“Sir Gawain doesn’t believe me,” Dawn cried, quite put out by this. “He thinks that…..”

“We’re here,” Mitch roared from the front door. He carried a small, interesting looking gift in his big hands while a non-descript, but lively looking brunette woman stumbled along side him.

“This is Amy McFee,” Mitch grunted to everyone in general, pointing at his date. “Where’s the food,” he added in a deep voice.

“That’s for later,” Buffy quipped, trying not to laugh when Amy slapped at Mitch.

“That’s rude, Mitchie,” Amy whined in disgust. “We eat when we eat,” she mumbled, coyly smiling at Buffy.

“Where’s Lars,” Spike asked gruffly, a little put off by the bloody gall of his men. They knew to be on their best behavior for this bloody soiree and here Mitch acts like a barbarian. God only knew what kind of loud, trollop of a bint Lars would drag in here.

Lars answered the question by strolling into the café, a blowsy looking red-head on his arm. “This is Mildred,” Lars announced anxiously. The tall blond man glanced at his boss, Spike, looking for some kind of approval here.

Spike just rolled his eyes and tried to bite back a snarky remark to his friend and employee. Mitch’s date was bad enough but this bint that Lars had dragged in here looked as if she was right off of
5th Street and that wasn’t saying much. Spike was more then pissed at this. His Buffy and Dawn didn’t need to be around this kind of trash; nor did Willow, Anya or Faith for that matter.

Just as Spike began to say something, Buffy saved the moment by rushing up to the two strange women and making over them.

‘Christ, they ain’t the Queens of England,’ Spike thought to himself. The sight of his beautiful lady, Buffy, trying to make nice with the riffraff did Spike’s heart good though.

‘She’s gonna’ make a great mum,’ he thought proudly as he beamed at Buffy lovingly.

The sudden appearance of Rupert Giles and his lady, Jennifer, saved a tense moment.

“What’s that knight’s name?” Connor whispered to Dawn as he eyed the formidable older man.

“Not a knight,” Dawn grunted. “That’s Merlin the Magician and his lady love, Morganna,” she continued reverently. “He is Sir Spike’s most valued friend, even more then Sir Belvedere,” she finished with wide-eyed somberness.

“Oh,” Connor drawled in awe.

“Okay, Dawn,” Connor began cautiously. “If you are Lady Guinevere; Buffy is Sir Spike’s lady and so on? Then who for Pete’s sake is Arthur?”

Dawn hesitated for moment before grinning at her new best friend.

“Why, you are Connor,” she giggled wickedly.

After they ate their lunch, Dawn could not be dissuaded from opening her huge pile of presents.

“When are Officer Wilkens and his wife getting here,” Dawn asked innocently while she eyed Willow and Daniel’s gift to her.

“They’ll be here later,” Buffy replied. “Go ahead, honey, open a present,” she urged the child eagerly.

Dawn ripped open the bright pink paper on the huge gift from Willow and Daniel. She tore open the light box and pulled out the most beautiful doll she had ever seen.

“Oh! It’s wonderful!” Dawn squealed in delight, hugging the three foot long dollie to herself. The doll was adorned in a pink taffeta dress and had dark brown locks that had been sculpted into curls. Dawn had never ever had such a dollie in her life.

“Thank you, Sir Daniel and Lady Willow,” Dawn giggled happily, reaching for another gift.

“That’s from Xander and me,” Anya stated evenly. “I hope you like it. It cost us a pretty penny and you need to take good care of it. It’s…..”

“Anya!” Xander groaned in embarrassment. “Let the kid open her present!”

Anya pouted at Xander then grinned at Dawn in a patronizing manner. Especially when the birthday girl opened her gift and found an exquisite fox fur hat and matching hand muff wrapped in pink tissue paper.

“Oh, Anya, Sir Belvidere,” Dawn sighed, awe struck. “They’re beautiful,” she gasped sincerely.

“Better then Willow and Danny’s doll?” Anya asked eagerly, giving the red-headed waitress a smug look.

“I love them all the same,” Dawn whispered tactfully as she placed the hat on her head and the muff on her right arm and hand.

After opening the various other gifts; a huge, intricate picture book about Arthur and Camelot from Jenny and Giles. A porcelain tea set from Riley and Faith; a pretty dress and matching cape from Mitch and Lars; Dawn scanned the dining room for her most special gift. The one from Sir Spike and Lady Buffy.

Buffy scooted over closer to Dawn and put her right arm about the child’s slim shoulders. “Close your eyes, Doll,” she whispered softly in the girl's ear.

Dawn did as she was told and counted to ten as she waited for Spike to bring her present to her.

When she opened her eyes, Dawn was staring at a plain, brown cardboard box with some random holes punched into it. There was a big pink tie and bow around the package and the box itself seemed to be moving.

Dawn, wide-eyed and confused, reached out to take the box from Spike, who just grinned at her warmly.

“Go on, honey,” Buffy urged the girl, “open it.”

She couldn’t be sure, but Dawn could swear she heard the sound of scuffling feet and maybe a yip or two come from the box.

Hurridly, Dawn untied the bow and pulled the top of the box up and open. Before she could focus on the contents, a soft, squirmy ball of fur popped up from the box and into her arms.

“A puppy!” Dawn screamed in delight. “An honest to goodness puppy!” She repeated in disbelief.

The ‘puppy’ was an honest to goodness full blooded Cocker Spaniel, but Dawn was too excited to notice that. She was overwhelmed with joy by the animated ball of fur that now filled her arms and licked her face.

“Is it truly mine?” Dawn asked both Spike and Buffy simultaneously. “Can I keep him?”

“Of course,” Buffy giggled, delighted that her and Will’s gift was such a hit with the child.

“Oh, he’s the dearest thing,” Dawn whimpered, rubbing her nose against the puppy’s little head. “But,” she suddenly frowned slightly, “what if we can’t keep him at Mr. Spike’s?”

The small child looked so forborne that Buffy felt a tender tug at her heart and chimed in, “oh, we can keep him at Mr. Spike’s all right. Can you imagine ‘anyone’ saying no puppy to Mr. Spike, Doll?”

Buffy looked over at William, who was beaming proudly back at her. She knew for a fact, that her man had been out, half the night, to every known pet shop in New York City looking for that special puppy.

No, no one in God’s creation was going to tell Spike Jameson that his ‘daughter’ could not have a puppy in the apartment.

“It’s fine, Bit,” Spike chuckled, all self-important and so very proud of himself. “The puppy is welcome at our place,” he added, winking at Buffy.

“What are you going to name the puppy, Dawn,” Willow asked, nearly as excited as the child herself.

“I think I’ll call him Lancelot,” Dawn stated, her little mouth in a straight, serious line. “Lancelot was the bravest, most daring knight in King Arthur’s court,” she continued. “I think it suits him, don’t you?”


A/N: I cut this chapter in half because it had gone on way too long. The next chapter is going to be angstsy, I promise.

Thank you for reading and please review, spufette.