“You will not believe what happened at Sam’s,” Buffy said, entering the apartment and closing the door behind her.



“What’s that?” Willow called from the office, down the hallway.



Buffy kicked off her shoes, set her purse down and walked towards the office. “Riley, that snake!" She walked into the office. “He almost made a pass at me. Thank god for Xander. He was there before anything could happen.”



Willow turned her chair around. “Are you serious?”



“Oh yeah, if Xander didn’t come when he did, I would have slugged Riley.”



“You should have.”



“I don’t want to think what he would have done to me, right there.”



Quickly changing the subject, Willow got up from the chair. “Everything is all set. I just used the AOL service from the shop.” Willow said, triumphantly. She was excited about doing this for Buffy. She hoped that Buffy would find someone to chat with, maybe even a nice guy she could meet, and date some day.



“I don’t know if I’ll get on to the internet.” Buffy opened the bag, pulled out a chicken salad for Willow and handed it over to her friend, then Buffy pulled out a hamburger and cheese fries for herself. “Oh, I forgot the sodas. I’ll be right back.” She set down her food and left the office to go to the kitchen. A few minutes later, she returned with two diet cokes, and handed one to Willow. “Before I forget, Xander said he’ll be by later and Tara is home sick.” She took the wrapping off the hamburger and took a bite.



“Aww, Tara is sick? Maybe I’ll give her a call later. Here, sit down, check things out. I’ll guide you all the way.”



Buffy reluctantly sat down. “I set up a screen name for you. All you have to do is sign on.” Willow said in between bites.



Buffy clicked on the AOL icon and the sign up screen popped up. “Slayer?” Buffy turned to look at Willow with her brows knit in confusion. “Why’d you choose that?”


”I don’t know. It just sorta popped into my head. We can always change it later, if you want.”



Buffy shrugged and clicked on the sign on button. It went through the steps of signing on and then the ‘Welcome’ blared, startling them both. They hadn’t quite expected it. “It takes a little to get used to,” Willow laughed.



“So, now what?”



“Whatever you want…you can look up stuff for the shop…maybe even...find a date,” Willow hurried her statement.



“A date on the internet? Willow that’s just …crazy.”



“Is it?” Willow believed that love could be found anywhere, whether it be online or meeting some body in a bar. “Anya met her husband on the internet.”



“Yeah, but aren’t they divorced?”



“No…just separated. She thinks she can go after Xander now.”



“I stand corrected. Willow, I’m not ready to find love on the internet.” Buffy grabbed her food and left the office.



Who was she kidding? She wasn’t ready to find love at all. She’d been hurt so badly by Angel, and didn’t know if she’d ever be able to find anyone again. The only guy that even looked twice at her was Riley, and he gave her the wiggens. Although, there was that cute guy at Best Buy. I can’t believe I let him get away. I’ll probably never see him again. God, I’m such an idiot. I don’t even know why I bother.



She went into her bed room, sat on her bed, and turned her TV on. Her room was the most comfortable spot in the whole apartment, she thought. The walls were cream in color, carpet was also a creamy color and the bed was fit for a queen, it was so huge. It had been decked out with tans, browns and black and everything had intricate designs on it, something that Buffy had designed herself. If she hadn’t gone into business with Willow, she’d planned to be an interior designer.



She wasn’t really watching the TV, so she missed seeing that the guy she was intrigued with was anchoring the local news. When the commercial came on, she turned the TV off and finished her meal.



There was a knock to the door an hour later, and Buffy went to get up, but she heard Willow get to the door before she did. It was Xander. He was staying the night.



Buffy decided to get to bed early, since she had nothing better to do. Willow and Xander would be another story.



*********

Later that night, Buffy couldn’t sleep because of the noise in Willow’s room. Xander was a bit loud during their love making. Usually Buffy had ear plugs, but tonight she forgot to wear them, and she was paying for it.



“Ahh!” She rolled over, turned on the light, and kicked the sheets off of her. “I should have just put my damn ear plugs in. CAN YOU BE ANY LOUDER?”



Of course once she said this, Xander got louder. She quickly got out of bed, and started for the bathroom, but she thought about getting on the computer instead. Maybe it’ll pass the time, she thought, turning the other way, and heading down to the office.



Buffy sat down on the nice leather chair, pulled herself up to the desk, turned on the computer, and waited for it to load up. When it finally did, she clicked on AOL, clicked the sign on and waited for it to work through the dial up procedure. When she was finally online, she didn’t exactly know what to do, so she just started fooling around and clicking on whatever.



Soon, she stumbled into a chat room. It wasn’t like how she expected. It was lots of people propositioning people for sex. She didn’t like that, so she went to the next chat. It seemed a little bit better.



Buffy worked up the nerve up to say hi, and someone said hi back to her. She got freaked and she was about to sign off, when that person IMed her. Okay, what do

I do now?



The person said "Hi" once more, and she decided to say it back.



Slayer: Hi

Spike29: Hello yourself.

Slayer: How are you?

Spike29: Doing just fine. You?

Slayer: I’m new at this. I am really not sure what to do.

Spike29: It’s ok. I haven’t been on the internet very long either.

Slayer: You seem to be doing just fine.

Spike29: Why, thank you. J

Slayer: You’re welcome.



“God I can’t believe I’m doing this," Buffy said out loud.



Spike29: May I ask you a few questions? If I get too personal, just tell me and I’ll back off.



Buffy hesitated for a few moments before answering.



Slayer: Ok, shoot.

Spike29: What is your age?

Slayer: I’m 26.

Spike29: You are female, right?

Slayer: Yeah. Are you male?

Spike29: Very much so. Where are you from?

Slayer: California. Born and raised.

Spike29: Oh wow, what a coincidence. I live in California now.

Slayer: You’re not about to ask if we could meet, are you? Cause I don’t

know if I could do that. I gotta get to know you first.

Spike29: All in due time, love.



Just the sound of that send shivers down her spin.



Slayer: Would you tell me a little bit about yourself?

Spike29: Let’s see, where do I begin? I'm 29 and single. I’m originally from England. I just moved out here not more than 2 months ago. I am a journalist. I’ve traveled all around the world…I just felt the need to settle down and was offered a job at the local news station. I couldn’t pass it up.

Slayer: I've always wanted to go to England.

Spike29: Perhaps I could take you sometime.

Slayer: Perhaps.



Buffy suddenly felt shy, and changed the subject.




Slayer: What kinds of things have you covered?

Spike29: This and that. Won a Pulitzer.

Slayer: That’s great.



Buffy looked at the time. It was late. Time flies when you’re having fun.



Slayer: I better be going.

Spike29: Could we do this another time? I really enjoyed chatting with you.

Slayer: Sure I had a good time.

Spike29: Before you go, can I ask your name?



Should I give him my name? I don’t know. I don’t know how far I want this to go. I wish I could have met that guy in Best Buy…Just do it, Buffy. He probably doesn't anywhere near you. And what if he does? It’s not like we’re ever going to meet. This is just harmless fun. I’m gonna do it. I had fun chatting with him. I hope he doesn’t think I am a dork.



Slayer: It’s Buffy.

Spike29: Is that you’re real name?

Slayer: You don’t like it?

Spike29: It’s cute. I’m sure you're cute too.

Slayer: Thank you. What’s your real name?

Spike29: My name is William, but friends call me Spike.

Slayer: Spike?

Spike29: Yeah, it was a childhood nickname I acquired in the orphanage.

Slayer: Oh

Spike29: That surprises you?

Slayer: Yeah a little.

Spike29: To most people, it does. Well, it was nice chatting with you.

Slayer: I guess I’ll talk to you later.

Spike29: Yeah, bye.



Buffy felt a connection with this guy. She liked him and wanted to talk more with him. He seems really sweet. I hope he’s for real.



Slayer: Bye



She quickly wrote down his screen name, because she wasn’t sure how to add him into hers. Maybe Willow could show her in the morning. For now, Buffy shut down the computer and went back to her room.



Buffy stopped at Willow’s door. All was quiet, for now. She then proceeded to her bedroom. When she arrived, she sat on her bed, opened up her drawer, pulled out the ear plugs just in case, slid back into back into bed, and pulled the blanket over her. Buffy was content and fell fast asleep.



******