Several hours later, the police finally left the apartment. They had all the evidence that they needed; the spray can, finger prints, and even a hair sample. They weren’t sure if it was Buffy’s or not, so she gave them a sample of her own hair, just to rule it out. She wanted this to be over as soon as possible.



The detective in charge suggested that they stay somewhere else for the night. Willow and Tara immediately offered their home, and were informed that there would be a squad car patrolling their neighborhood, as well as one patrolling Buffy and William's street.



Xander and Anya had decided to go home. Anya was tired and wasn’t up to any more socializing, not to mention stress.

********************************************





Willow suggested that they order in for the evening meal. It would be like old times, she thought wistfully.



“What would you like to order?” Willow asked pulling out a menu for a pizza place, then sitting down at the kitchen table, waiting for their order.



“Thanks Wil, but I’m not up for eating right now,” Buffy said, feeling tired. Why did this all have to happen today of all days? I just want to curl up and die right now.



“Buffy, love, we haven’t much today. We should really eat something. A sandwich maybe?” William was worried. Buffy looked pale and on edge, which was hardly surprising considering what she'd been through in the last twelve hours.



After thinking it over, Buffy agreed. "I guess I could eat a little something."





Tara went to the pantry, and opened the door. “We’ve got soup, canned spaghetti, ravioli, tuna, cereal,” she listed as she turned to look at William and Buffy. “Oh!" she added, “we’ve got some leftovers in the fridge, if you’d like.” Tara opened the fridge and

removed a foil covered plate.



“What is it?" William inquired.






“Roast beef with mashed potatoes,” Willow replied. “I made it myself!”



“Sounds good,” William said, then smiled at Buffy. "That all right with you, luv?"



Tara made William and Buffy a plate, put in the microwave. Buffy was still nervous and upset from their ordeal, and wasn’t quite as hungry as she'd led them to believe.



She managed to get a few bites down, then excused herself to go up to the guest room and lie down. She picked up her over night bag, and placed it on the bed.



Why does this have to happen? Just when I….we were happy, she thought as she began to cry.



Buffy sat down the bed, sobbing uncontrollably. She pulled herself together after a few minutes, and quickly changed into her pajamas; one of Williams’s old tee-shirts and a pair of blue pajama pants, then crawled into bed and let the tears trickle down her face once again.



**********************************************



Willow, Tara and William stayed in the family room, adjacent to the kitchen, to watch a little TV. There was a big picture window behind the black leather couch. Across from that was an armoire holding the TV, VCR, and DVD player, and the walls were adorned with different paintings that Tara had done over the years.



After awhile, they lost interest in the program. They were all worried about what Harmony was going to do next. William was more worried about Buffy than anything

else.



“Well, I think I’m gonna call it a night," William announced, rising from the couch. "I really want to put an end to this day."



“I don't blame you," Willow replied. “We won't be far behind."



“Good night,” Willow and Tara both said in unison.



“Good night...and thanks a lot.”



“No problem," Tara said, giving him a hug. "That's what we're here for."


He walked through the kitchen, up a small step to the foyer and climbed the stairs, feeling emotionally exhausted. He knew he’d as soon as his head hit the pillow, he’d be asleep.



The guest room was as attractively decorated as the rest of the house. There was a queen sized bed, with nightstands on either side of it, a large oak armoire with a matching dresser, and an armchair next to a large picture window. The walls were

painted a soothing shade of cream, and were decorated with more of Tara's art work.



Buffy was lying on the bed, still crying. When William came in, she quickly wiped her tear streaked face on her sleeve.



“I’m ok," she said. "I’m just really tired.”



She was lying, and he knew it, but he wasn’t going to say anything. They'd had enough trouble for one night, and there was no point in upsetting her more than she already was.



William grabbed his night bag, and changed into pajama bottoms. Usually, he didn't bother wearing anything to bed, but he felt strange doing that in someone else's house. Sitting down beside, he gently rubbed her back.



“Everything will be all right, luv," he said quietly. "I promise."



“I know," she said. "I just need to sleep." She pulled away from him and slid under the covers.



“Okay. I'll be right back. Just gonna hit the bathroom.” he told her. Grabbing his toothbrush and toothpaste, he went across the hall to the bathroom.



He was back five minutes later. He slid under the covers, kissed her again, and shortly after his head hit the pillow, he was out like a light.



Buffy, however, lay awake long into the night. Nervous and a little sad, she was strangely afraid to go to sleep, worried that Harmony might pop out of the shadows and do something horrible.

********************************************






After William went to bed, Willow and Tara followed soon after. Their bedroom was the nicest of the house. At the opposite end of the hall, it had a set of elaborately carved double doors. On the far left was a dresser and a vanity table, it's mirror reflecting the huge king sized bed they shared. Their's was the only room with a private bath.



Willow came out of the bathroom ready for bed. Her lover was already there, reading the latest best seller by Tom Clancy. When Willow slipped into bed, Tara closed the book and placed it on her nightstand.



“What is it, sweetie?” Tara asked as she kissed Willow. "You look upset."



“I’m worried about Buffy,” Willow said uneasily. “She was pretty shaken tonight. I just hope that they catch that psycho soon. I don’t know how much more trauma Buffy can take right now.”



“While we were eating, she was so distant. I don’t know what I’d do in her situation. I just hope she knows that she can come to us, if she needs to talk."




“She knows. But Buffy's so damn independent, you know? She just has to do things for herself.”



“Everything will be okay," Tara said. "The police will catch her, and William and Buffy can go on with their lives and get married."



“I hope you’re right.”



“I am. Let's get some sleep.”



*********************************************



Buffy was still wide awake at 3 am. As her anxiety mounted, she snuggled up against William for comfort.



Half asleep, William said, “Love, what is it?”



“Nothing really. I just can't sleep."



He rolled over so that he could look her in the eye. “I’m here. You have nothing to worry about. I won't let anyone hurt you," he said, wrapping protective arms around her.



She smiled weakly. “Have I told you lately how much I love you?”



“Not that I can recall,” he said coyly.



“Well, I do. I-I love you more every day. I don’t ever want to lose you."



“Honey, you're not gonna lose me. Not ever. I love you too, and I'll still be standing next to you when we're old and falling apart," he teased, giving her a sound kiss on the lips. "Try and sleep now, luv. I’m totally exhausted, and I'm pretty sure that you are, too.”



Buffy nodded, laying her head on his shoulder, and draping one arm across his waist. "Good night, William," she murmured, closing her eyes.



"Night, luv."

***********************************************






The next morning, search warrant in hand, the police raided Harmony Kendall’s apartment.



The apartment was only a block away from the television station, a small studio with a kitchen nook, and a tiny bathroom.



There wasn't much there. A futon, a few boxes of books and CDs, and a hotplate. The

closet was empty, except for a few bent coat hangers.



“It looks like she knew we were coming," Officer Jones said, as he made his notes.



In the very back of the closet, they found a box containing the items that William had reported as missing.




“Bag it up,” Lieutenant Smith ordered the CSI team. The forensic team took finger prints and photographs of all the evidence before it was bagged.



“I think that's pretty much all we're gonna get," Smith said a few minutes later. "Let's get back to the station and get an arrest warrant issued. I want to catch this nut before she hurts someone."



Before leaving, they sealed the front door with yellow tape that proclaimed the apartment a crime scene, warning people not to cross it.



**********************************************

Anya sat up in the bed on Sunday morning, and looked over at her clock on her nightstand. It read 7:30 am. She was feeling apprehensive about blurting out the news to her friends the night before, and because of that, hadn't slept very well. She looked over at Xander, who was sound asleep and decided to wake him up.



“Xander.” She poked his side.



He didn’t move.



“XANDER!” she yelled in his ear.



This woke him instantly.



“What is it?” He asked half asleep. “Is it the baby?” He quickly sat up.



“No,” she pouted.



“Then what is it?” He sat up, looking concerned.



“Was it the right time to tell them?” she asked, “with everything that was happening yesterday?”



“Anya, honey, if we’d waited much longer, THEY would have told US," he pointed out with a smile.



“I guess you’re right.”



“Maybe it wasn’t the perfect time, but you do what you have to do.” He rubbed her stomach. “Don't worry so much. Everything will be okay with Buffy and William.”



Anya pushed the blankets off , swung her legs out of the bed, and put her feet in her slippers. “I would like to go over to Willow and Tara’s later."



Xander looked over at the clock on the night stand as Anya rose to her feet.



“Uh, Anh...you do know it’s still pretty early in the morning?”



She turned around to look him in the eye. “Of course.”



“Then why are you getting up?"



“For the same reason I got up six times during the night," she said, disappearing into the bathroom.



“Oh,” was all he managed to say before he rolled over.



Anya came out of the bathroom a few minutes later. “I’m going back to sleep for a little while, then we can call.” She kicked off her slippers and slid under the covers, snuggling up close to her husband.



“Mmm-hmmm,” he said, already half asleep.



***********************************************

Harmony hadn't slept at all. She'd spent the night keeping an eye on the brownstone across the street, waiting for William to return at some point, while she made a check list. For her plan to work, she'd need some supplies. First and foremost, she had to put together a disguise of some sort. She wasn't going to take any chances on getting caught. Not now that she was so close to getting what she wanted...William.



She went over to a box at the far end of the living room, opened it, revealing a selection of wigs in all different styles and colors. Harmony pulled out a handful of auburn colored hair, styled in a short bob.



She went into the bathroom to see what she’d look like with it. It framed her face nicely, brushing against her jaw line. It made her took totally different. With different makeup and a change in clothing style, her own mother wouldn't know her.



Back in the bedroom, she opened the closet door and pulled out a black pair of slacks. They were tighter than she usually wore them, and flared out at the bottom. Next, she pulled out a dull gray shirt with a half zip, then put on a pair of old sandals she had. When she was satisfied with her clothing choice, she returned to the bathroom and applied a great deal of make up, using colors she'd never worn before.



When she was finished, she smiled at herself in the mirror. I can get in and out and no one will recognize me.



She went into the living room, picked up her list and a pair of sunglasses, and went out the back door. She had sold her old red Escort and bought a used Volkswagen beetle,

painted a nondescript shade of brown.



A few minutes later she pulled into a parking spot at Home Depot. She moved through the store quickly, checking off each item on her list. She picked up duct tape and a piece of strong rope, then proceeded to the checkout line, paying for her purchases in cash.



In her car, she studied the list of things she still needed. Her next stop was Sunnydale Memorial Hospital. She parked near the exit doors and grabbed a bag from the back seat of her car.



Inside, she pasted on a smile and headed for the reception desk.



“Hi. Can I help you," the volunteer manning the desk asked pleasantly.



“I’m new here. First day and all," Harmony said. "Can you tell me where the restroom is?”



“Sure, it’s down this hall,” she pointed to the left... “second door on the right. You can’t miss it.”



“Thank you.”



Once in the bathroom, she closed the door behind her, locked it, and she quickly changed into a pair of blue scrubs she'd once worn to a Halloween party.



When she was dressed, she hid the bag with her clothes in a supply closet. Unlocking the door, she peeked out, then headed for the elevator.



She found what she wanted on the fifth floor...a nurses station with no one around. She ambled along causally, making her way towards the supply room. Stepping inside, she scanned the shelves for the sedatives, then wrapped a towel around her hand and knocked out a section of the glass door and grabbed a bottle. She used the stairs to return to the lobby, quickly changed back into her street clothes, left the hospital and went back to her apartment.



********************************************



Buffy woke up in William’s arms. She didn’t care what time it was, or where they were. All she wanted to do was watch him sleep. He was her whole world. No matter how scared she was, she didn’t want to run away and hide. Wherever William was, that's where she would be, too.



He never looked more beautiful than he does at this very moment, she realized. She traced the line of his cheek, his eyes, his nose, and finally his mouth. He began to stir, and she quickly moved her hand away. He moved closer to her, but he was still asleep.



A few minutes later, he woke up. She smiled at him.



“Hey,” he said, half asleep, pulling her close for a kiss.



“Hey, yourself,” she said, feeling a bit dizzy from the kiss.



“How long you been awake, love?”



“Not long.”



“What were you doing?” he asked, although he knew she'd been watching him. She did that from time to time, especially when she was worried about something, and needed reassurance.



“I was just…watching you.” She looked away, her cheeks turning pink.



He turned her so she’d look at him. “Sweetheart, don’t be embarrassed.”



“I'm not," she insisted. "You just looked so beautiful to me in the morning light."



“Nope, you’re the beautiful one,” he said, kissing her once again, leaving her breathless and wanting more.



“Make love to me, William. Make me forget all about yesterday,” she pleaded, kissing him.



“What, here? Now? They’ll hear us."



“You’ll just have to be quiet,” she teased.



“Hey, I’m not the noisy one. You take the prize for that,” he teased right back.



She playfully slapped him. William grabbed her shoulders and pulled her down on top of him, kissing her passionately.



**********************************************

Willow and Tara woke up an half hour later. The couple went into the bathroom together, brushed their hair and teeth, and proceeded back into their bedroom to get dressed.



As they were leaving their room, they heard giggles from the guest room. Tara and Willow smiled at one another and went downstairs quietly so they wouldn’t disturb their friends.



“I’m so happy that they are trying to gain some semblance of normality from this mess,” Willow said, as they entered into the kitchen.



“Me too. Maybe something good will come of their…um…giggling,” Tara replied with a laugh.



Willow turned the coffee pot on, and then she grabbed two bagels down from the bread box and popped them into the toaster. Tara took a carton of cream cheese from the fridge, and the couple sat down at the table, waiting for the coffee to brew.



When the coffee was ready, William and Buffy came down stairs hand in hand, dressed in jeans and tee-shirts. The blonde couple walked into the kitchen with bright smiles on their faces.



“Good morning,” Willow greeted.



“Morning,” William and Buffy replied in unison.



They sat down at the table as Willow got up, grabbed four coffee cups and poured the coffee. Just then the phone rang. William and Buffy’s smiles faded. They were sure it was the police calling with bad news.



“It’s ok. It’s probably some telemarketer,” Tara reassured, hoping to make the situation better.



Willow quickly answered, “Hello…Oh, hi Xander. How are you and Anya?…Yeah…Ok…Yeah…That’s fine…Come over anytime…Yep…Everyone’s up…Yeah we can do that…Sure…Bye.”



Willow hung up the phone and turned to William, Buffy and Tara. “Xander and Anya want to come over later. They just want to make sure you guys are all right and they wanted to do something with us. Get away for the afternoon or something."



“That sounds like fun,” Tara answered. "What do you think?" She smiled at William and Buffy.



“Sure, I wouldn’t mind getting away for the day,” William replied, looking at Buffy. “What do you say, love?”



“I’d like that,” Buffy smiled. "Count me in."