Chapter 9

Buffy looked into his blue eyes. The expression in them suddenly changed, making them even more beautiful than she had ever seen them before. She could see the love in his eyes, and she knew then that it was time to tell him

the secret that wanted to explode right out of her.



He has a right to know after all.



“You know you can tell me anything, Buffy. I love you, and all I want is for us to have another chance.”



“I want that too, but I need to be honest for us to get to that place.” She spoke directly from her heart. “I have been keeping something from you, for so long and...it's killing me not to tell you.” Tears trickled down her face, and he wiped them away.



William then took her hand in his, gently letting her know she could continue.



“I was hurt and upset that you let that mess with Harmony get as far as it did, but it wasn't just for myself. I know now that you did what you thought was best, but before...I guess I didn’t even WANT to know how you felt. I was so wrapped up in what was going on with me that I didn’t see straight…I needed the time to reflect on everything.”



“And?” William gently prompted.



“And the first week was pure hell. I missed you so much, but my pride wouldn’t allow me to come back to you...I guess I’m just…stubborn.” She laughed nervously.



William smiled at her. That you are, my love.



"Anyway,” she began nervously, “a week or so after everything happened, I started feeling tired and nauseated. I thought it was after effects of the sedative Harmony used. I was sure she'd used too much and thought something was seriously wrong so...I made an appointment with the doctor, and they assured me that Harmony had actually used the right amounts. That was surprising, considering…” Buffy didn’t finish that sentence. “The doctors ran some blood work and everything came back normal...except for one thing.”



“Maybe its just stress,” William interrupted.



“No, it’s definitely not stress,” Buffy smiled brightly.



“Then what is it?” William asked, concerned, fearing the worst.



“William, I’m pregnant,” she blurted out excitedly. It felt so good to be able to finally to tell him the truth after so long.



This really got William’s attention. He stood straight up, pulling her along with him. “You’re…you’re…pregnant?” he asked, his voice high pitched and excited.



“Yes.”



“How far along?"



“Six weeks.”



William counted back in his mind, trying to determine when exactly the conception had taken place. He smiled as he looked back down at her in realization. It was a smile that always melted her heart. “It was that morning?” he asked, not so much a question as a confirmation.



“Yes,” she said definitively, knowing exactly what he was referring to.



He picked her up and twirled her around and then quickly sat her down. “I-I didn’t…didn’t hurt you or the bit, did I?” He placed his hand on her stomach, rubbing gently.



“No, of course not," she giggled.



He held her tightly. “I love you,” he whispered in her ear.



“I love you, too!”



William released her from their embrace, pulled a little black box out before kneeling to the ground. He'd bought the ring during their separation, in hopes they would eventually work out their difficulties and be married as they'd planned, and now...well it certainly seemed to be the perfect time to propose.



Buffy was so excited she felt tears come to her eyes, but she couldn’t help but giggle, happily of course.



“Elizabeth, I hope this isn't too soon, but I want to do this properly and I believe that this is the time.” William took a deep breath for courage.



“I don’t know how I made it this long without you,” A tear rolled down his cheek. William had never been this honest with another sole. Not even Drusilla. He definitely knew this was the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.



“I never lived before your love. I never needed anyone to make me feel alive, but now...if I were to ever lose it...I would die. I promise I'll love you, and take care of you, and protect you for the rest of your life. I can't live another day without you. Will you marry me?"





Buffy didn’t have to think twice. For the first time in quite a while, she knew what she wanted, and that was to be with him, always. “Yes. Yes, I will!” she whispered, tears falling freely.



William jumped up, wrapped his arms around her waist, and picked her up, twirling her around.



I’m the happiest bloke ever! Thank you! Thank you!! Taking her hand, he slipped the ring onto the proper finger.



He picked her up again, spinning her slowly around. She looked down at her ring. It was the most beautiful piece of jewelry she'd ever seen, a simple gold band with a solitaire diamond.



Not nearly as beautiful as you, William. You make me so happy. I am sorry that I kept us distant for so long. I hope you forgiven me for that. I almost kept you from knowing we've conceived a child. And I do love you, William. More than words could ever say.



She kissed him soundly on the lips and then said, “I love you, William.”



“I love you, too, pet,” He kissed her again, soundly. “Always!”



Lacing their fingers together, they turned and walked back to the house...and into
their future.


TBC.....