CHAPTER 2 – New Friends

Anya strolled around the clothes store looking at the various colourful tops and pants trying to decide which ones she wanted to buy. Since Halloween a couple of weeks before, Xander had been particularly attentive and she wanted to do something special for him. So, she’d decided to buy a nice new outfit and prepare a fantastic dinner just for the two of them.

She’d been so determined to make it happen that she’d even taken the day off work! Something she only ever did if there was an apocalypse looming, that’s how important it was to her.

That morning, she’d bought all the ingredients she needed for the dinner. Oysters to start…for their supposed aphrodisiac properties. Then, a light meal of asparagus, rice and fish…again, for their supposed aphrodisiac properties. For dessert, she’d decided on strawberries and ice cream…naturally, she’d researched and these too were supposed to have certain ‘arousing’ qualities. By the time the meal was over, she figured Xander would be pleasantly full and raring to go. Exactly how she liked him.

Tutting, she flicked through row of modest looking tops and shook her head. These would never do and she was getting pressed for time. Why could you never find the right clothes when you needed them?

"Are you looking for anything in particular?" a saleslady asked, walking over to the blonde.

"Yes, I'm looking for clothing that doesn't cost too much and yet looks appealing," Anya replied, picking a bright pink blouse off the rail and holding it up consideringly. Checking the price tag, she scowled and replaced it haphazardly back.

"Oh, well, maybe the sales rack would be more to your liking," the woman suggested, immediately righting the garments' place on the rack and smoothing the fabric down. "It's over at the back."

"Thank you," said Anya before turning away and heading over to the sale rail.

The saleswoman stared after her in mild disgust then walked over to another customer who she hoped would be in a better financial position to buy a few things and bump up her bonus.

Anya noticed a young woman already at one end of the rail and automatically went to the other to start looking through the clothes hanging there. As she sorted her way through garments that she wouldn't even wipe the floor with, let alone wear, she moved further along the rack until she reached the middle where she accidentally bumped into the other female.

"Oops, sorry," the young woman apologised with a friendly smile.

"No problem," Anya replied easily and moved around her to continue her search. A couple of seconds later, she gave a small triumphant cry and held up an orangey red, shimmering top that she was certain would look fantastic on.

"It's lovely, isn't it?" said the other woman at the rail.

Anya glanced over at her and nodded. "Very sparkly and soft, just what I wanted."

The woman moved closer. "I looked at it myself but with my colouring…" She shrugged and smiled ruefully as she pointed at her dark orange hair before adding, "It'd look great on you though."

"I think so too," Anya agreed, amiably. "And it would most definitely get my husband extremely turned on which would lead to numerous orgasms, so at this reduced price, it would be a very prudent purchase."

If the other woman was shocked by Anya’s blunt speech, she didn’t show it with so much as a blink. Instead, she chuckled lightly then leaned forward to tell her conspiratorially, "Actually, you can get that top at the store two blocks down and it’s a whole five dollars cheaper."

"Really?" the blonde asked, the thought of saving even more of her money making her eyes glow excitedly. "Which store?"

The redhead took the top from her and placed it back on the rail before linking her arm through Anya’s companiably and leading her over to the store’s exit. "I’ll show you," she offered sweetly. "There’s a pair of pants to die for in there that I was going back for anyway."

Before they went through the door, Anya stopped and looked down pointedly at their linked arms. "I’m willing to go to the other store with you but I just want to make clear that I’m not a lesbian and have a husband who makes me extremely happy."

The woman smiled back at her wryly. "I’m not either and I’m glad you’re happy," she replied before removing her arm from Anya’s and holding out her hand. "My name’s Rowan by the way."

The ex-demon took Rowan’s hand and shook it vigorously. "Anya."

"Nice to meet you, Anya," said Rowan as she turned to the door and gestured for the blonde to go through. "Now, let’s go get that top so you can knock the socks off your husband."

"Oh, I want to knock off more than just his socks," Anya replied seriously as exited the store.

Rowan’s reply was another chuckle and shake of her head as she followed the blonde out of the door.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Giles looked up in anticipation as the bell sounded above the Magic Shop door, a ready smile on his face. "Ah, Buffy, it’s you," he commented in obvious disappointment as his face fell a little and he looked over her shoulder just in case anyone else followed in.

"Hi Giles, it’s good to see you too," Buffy replied dryly.

"Oh…oh yes…hello, Buffy," her Watcher replied absently as his eyes drifted to the door once more.

The Slayer held back her smile and walked over to the research table where Willow and Tara were already sat. "Hi Guys," she greeted with a grin before casting a knowing glance over at the man behind the counter and adding in a low voice, "I’m guessing Emily hasn’t been by today?"

"No, not yet," Tara replied quietly, also looking over at Giles who was busy polishing his spectacles with gusto. "She’s a little later than usual."

"Yeah, and if she doesn’t come soon, I think he’s gonna rub those lenses clean away," added Willow in a hushed voice.

The girls laughed then Buffy shook her head and sighed. "I can’t understand why he doesn’t just ask her out on a date. I mean, she's been coming here for four months now and they have a lot in common, you know, being British and all stiff upper lippy and everything."

"Are you aware that I can hear every word?" Giles suddenly said as he put his glasses back on and looked over at the girls.

The young women glanced at each other wide eyed and then smiled over at him sheepishly. "Sorry, Giles, but…" Buffy began, only to be cut off when the bell above the door tinkled again.

Giles’ gaze immediately went to the door, his pleasant smile soon fading when a smoking blanket covered vampire raced in, slamming the door behind him causing the bell to jangle loudly again. With a wild flourish, the blanket was off his head and on the floor being unceremoniously stamped on to put out the odd flickers of flame. "Go out, you bugger," he growled at one persistent tiny inferno and then gave a small grunt of triumph when it finally stayed out. Finished, he picked it up and straightened to find four pairs of eyes on him.

"What?"

"Subtle entrance as always, Spike," Giles commented dryly. "What if a customer were here to witness your little dance and rather colourful language?"

"Customer?" the vampire queried with a raised eyebrow and knowing smirk. "Or Emily?"

"Well, really! I…I…don’t know what you’re…"

The bell tinkled and the door opened once more, this time revealing Xander, who loped in with a cheery grin. "Afternoon, people," he greeted jovially before turning to the vampire and adding, "And Spike."

The vampire rolled his eyes and walked over to the research table, bending to give Buffy a kiss before sitting in the vacant chair next to her.

"So, how’s it been without my darling wife around?" the carpenter asked, turning to the Watcher. "Have you sold much?"

Giles looked back at him blankly for the moment. "Er…yes…today has been rather fruitful as a matter of fact. Anya should be quite pleased."

"Good, cos…" he broke off as the irritating bell jangled away announcing the entrance of a newcomer.

Six pairs of expectant eyes swivelled to the door as it opened to reveal a woman of around thirty-three dressed in a sombre dark blue skirt and matching jacket. Taking a step over the threshold, she looked up then halted as she saw everyone staring at her. "Oh…uh…h-hello," she greeted nervously.

Everyone returned her greeting pleasantly and Xander gave her a wide grin before heading over to the join the others at the table and flopped down into the chair next to Tara.

"And here I thought I’d missed the Giles and Emily show for this week," he muttered loud enough for the rest of the gang to hear.

Emily Fotheringham heard a couple of titters from the direction of the table and blushed delicately, assuming they were about her. Ducking her dark-haired head shyly before closing the door behind her, she determinedly ignored them and walked over to the counter, focussing solely on Giles.

"Good afternoon, Emily," the Watcher greeted with a self-conscious smile, trying to ignore the fact that they were the centre of attention.

"Hello, Rupert," she replied with a coy smile of her own.

"What can I get for you today?" he asked, his gaze locking with the warm brown eyes of the Englishwoman in front of him.

"I just wanted some more of that sleeping draft you recommended last week, please," she replied, returning his look.

Giles’ expression grew concerned. "Really? You’re still having the nightmares then?"

Emily sighed then ran a tired hand over her face and nodded. "Yes. Every night." She looked up at him again and smiled. "Apart from the evenings I took your wonderful potion, that is. Thank you for making it up for me, Rupert, you’re really very sweet."

Giles reddened and took his glasses off to give them a vigorous clean. "Oh, well, it’s nothing, Emily. You know I’m happy to help if I can."

At the research table, the gang gave each other ‘puh-leese’ looks then turned their attention back to the Watcher and the unknowing object of his affections.

Emily watched Giles’ nervous display of cleaning and replacing his spectacles then nodded. "I know and your concern means a lot to me," she answered quietly, reaching out to lightly touch her hand to his as it rested on the counter top.

Giles looked down at her hand in faint alarm and hurriedly snatched his own away, stuttering profusely. "I…I…I’ll just get that potion…uh…oh…I…I mean draft…sleeping draft…yes…um…," he paused and swallowed hard, closing his eyes briefly at what he’d almost let slip. Opening them up again, he stared at Emily’s bright red and confused face and took a deep steadying breath, hating that he was the cause of her obvious upset. "Excuse me," he uttered quietly before walking away to prepare her order.

"And the Watcher calls me subtle," Spike murmured sarcastically at the table.

"He’s such an idiot," Buffy agreed with a shake of her head.

At the counter, Emily stared at the Watcher’s retreating back and forced back the feeling of disappointment that threatened to show itself in a tearful display. Glancing over at the table, she received sympathetic smiles from group seated there and looked away. It was embarrassing enough without having an audience.

A composed Giles returned moments later and placed a small bottle on the counter. "Now," he began in a businesslike tone. "You need to put three drops…"

"I remember what to do, Mr. Giles," Emily interrupted him abruptly as she pulled out her purse and handed him over a couple of bills in payment. She just wanted to leave the store as soon as she could.

Giles appeared taken aback with her change in attitude and sudden formalness, but remained silent and rang up the sale before handing her back her change.

Unable to meet his gaze, Emily took the money, trying to avoid touching his hand as much as she could then muttered a thank you and turned for the exit as quick as she could.

"Goodbye, Emily," he called out, but the door had already closed behind her. Giles stared at the door for a few seconds then let out a heavy sigh. Looking over at the research table, he was met with a resounding silence and accusing stares which caused him to sigh again. "I’m going down to the basement to perform a small stock check," he said quietly, before looking at the redheaded witch and requesting, "Willow, would you mind keeping an eye on the shop while I’m down there, please?"

"Sure," she accepted as she stood up.

He gave her a small smile then went downstairs and picked up his clipboard in order to begin but couldn’t concentrate. Emily’s embarrassed departure kept replaying through his mind. He felt awful for upsetting her but it was the only way. He couldn’t afford to get too close, it wasn’t safe. For him or for her. Jenny was proof of that and he just wasn’t prepared to take the risk with another woman that he loved.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Spike sat and listened to the rest of the gang discuss Giles’ attitude towards Emily and sighed inwardly. They were so busy criticising his actions that they hadn’t bothered to look for the reasoning behind them. But Spike had. He hadn’t lived both his life and unlife as love’s bitch not to recognise the signs of fear when he saw them and the man was terrified. Not of Emily herself, but, the vampire suspected, of the feelings she provoked within the normally stoic Watcher.

Feeling sorry for his fellow Englishman, he decided he should at least try and speak up for the absent man…although for the unlife of him he couldn’t think why.

Ignoring the reluctant consideration that it might just be because over the past year Giles and he had become tentative friends, he cleared his throat and sat forward, leaning his arms on the table as he prepared to talk.

Before he could even utter a word however, the door burst open and Anya walked in laughing loudly. All talk ceased as everyone looked over at Xander’s wife and noticed a beautiful young redhead follow her in.

"Hi everyone, this is Rowan," she introduced with a huge grin. "She’s a new friend I made today while out shopping. She helped me save money by making an extremely economical purchase."

From his vantage point opposite Xander at the table, Spike noticed that the carpenter had suddenly tensed up. Frowning slightly, the vampire glanced over at Anya and then back to Xander, wondering what could’ve triggered the young man’s agitation.

It was only when Rowan walked over and took Xander’s hand in greeting that Spike realised it was the newcomer that had sparked the carpenter’s unease. As Anya chattered on in detail to the rest of the gang about how she and Rowan had met, the vampire continued to watch Xander. Eyes narrowed, he noted the man squirm slightly in his seat and pale considerably as his and Rowan’s hands locked together far longer than necessary.

Just when Spike thought Anya might actually notice what was happening, Rowan finally relinquished her hold then stunned the vampire, and, it appeared, Xander, when she cheekily blew him a kiss and winked.

Colour infused the young man’s face and he hurriedly looked away, swallowing hard. After a few seconds, he must have felt someone staring at him and looked up meeting Spike’s impassive gaze full on. Xander’s eyes widened then darted a glance to Rowan and back to Spike, who merely lifted an eyebrow and pursed his lips. Realising that his and Rowan’s exchange had been witnessed by the vampire, Xander’s expression became worried but the blond demon simply shook his head slightly in negation that he would say anything and the young man visibly relaxed causing Spike to speculate on what that meant.

It was evident they knew each other even though they pretended they didn’t and the vampire hoped against hope that the carpenter hadn’t done anything so stupid as to play away from home. He liked Anya. She was a blunt, honest, what you see is what you get, kind of girl and he’d hate to see her get hurt because the Whelp didn’t have enough sense to keep ‘Little Whelp’ in his pants.

Oblivious to the exchange between her husband and new best friend, Anya walked over to Xander and gave him a long kiss before announcing that she needed to go home and prepare dinner for that evening.

Rowan also made her excuses and turned to go, but not before she gave Xander another long look then turned her gaze to Spike, lingering appreciatively over the vampire’s features.

The blond felt a flash of masculine pride that a beauty such as she had given him the once over, but it quickly diminished when he felt Buffy’s hand come to rest possessively on his thigh. He had his girl and he was very happy…thing was, he got the feeling that Rowan didn’t really care about that and that made her trouble with a capital T.

TBC IN CHAPTER THREE…