Buffy ran as fast as she could through the woods that lay behind the motel, heedless of anything she might find out there. Her only thought was to get away, to escape from Spike and what he was doing—what he wouldn't stop doing. She had to…

Suddenly, her knees buckled and she fell to the ground, her entire body now aching in a way she'd never known before. She felt herself slammed with a pain that was soul-deep, bringing tears to her eyes as it made her want to sob in anguish. Something inside of her was screaming that she turn around, go back to her mate. She needed him, needed to touch him, needed to feel him.

Buffy shook her head in a vain attempt to clear her mind and regain control of herself, crying out in desperation when she could not. He was doing something to her, he had to be, controlling her again. She had to fight it, had to get far enough away that he didn't have an influence on her anymore. She tried to stand, but her legs wouldn't let her, so she used every bit of strength she had remaining in her to crawl, struggling to make her way across the dirt.

She could feel Spike approaching, the tingles in her neck from his presence growing stronger by the second. She whimpered as she kept fighting, knowing it was a losing battle but not willing to give up all the same. Then he was there, snatching her up and holding her so her feet were dangling above the ground, his hands like vices around her biceps. The fury he was feeling was written clearly on his face as well as assaulting her through the claim, and inside of her, terror warred with the relief she felt from being back with her mate again.

"I told you to stay put!" Spike roared, throwing her back to the ground. Buffy cowered at his feet as his demon face fell into place and she found herself at the mercy of an enraged master vampire. "When are you going to learn to listen, girl? What am I going to have to do, beat you into bloody submission?"

Buffy gasped at that. He wouldn't…would he? "I…I couldn't take it…I felt you and…"

"Shut up!" Spike roared. "I've had just about enough of this from you." He snatched her up again by her arm, making his way back to the motel parking lot as he practically dragged her behind him, ignoring every time she tripped. He stopped when they reached his car, but he kept a bruising grip on her arm as he got his keys from his duster pocket and opened the DeSoto's trunk.

"What…what are you going to do to me?" Buffy asked, her fear rising to near panic levels. All she could feel from Spike through the claim was blinding anger, and she knew she had pushed him too far.

"I'm going to make sure you stay where you're told," Spike replied, pulling something from the trunk.

Buffy gasped when she saw what it was—rope. "Please, no. I'll…I'll stay and I'll be quiet, just don't…"

"Shut up!" Spike yelled at her again. "Another word from you, and I break your jaw."

Buffy closed her mouth tightly, though the occasional whimper still escaped as her body shook in fear. Spike handled her roughly as he bound her hands and feet together, pulling the ropes almost tight enough to cut off her circulation but not quite. When he was through, he lifted her up and threw her into the trunk, slamming it shut with her trapped inside. Her panic grew, and she struggled helplessly in her bonds, gasping for air. How long would he leave her in there? Would she suffocate? Hot tears ran down her cheeks, and she fought the urge to throw up.

She heard the engine start and felt the car begin to move a few moments later. Buffy struggled to calm herself, knowing that she would get nowhere by losing control. Spike had to let her out eventually—didn't he? Surely if he was going to kill her, this wouldn't be the way he'd do it.

And if this was what her life was to be from now on, would death even be so bad?

Resigning herself to whatever the night brought, Buffy stopped her struggling and lay still in the trunk.

*** *** ***

At some point, Buffy had managed to doze off, and she didn't know how much time passed before she felt the car come to a stop. The engine turned off and she waited until she heard the door open and close, followed by Spike's footsteps and the jingling of his keys. Silence fell again and Buffy wondered if maybe he planned to leave her out there for the day when she heard him coming back and the trunk opened.

Spike didn't look at her as he hauled her out, throwing her over his shoulder as he walked to what would be their motel room for the night. He unlocked the door and strode inside, opening the closet and throwing her in, not seeming to even notice when her head hit the wall. Without a word, he shut her in, and Buffy felt tears spring to her eyes.

Her skin was chaffed from the ropes, her arms and legs sore from being stuck in one position so long, and now her heard ached, too, from where it had connected with the wall. But even on top of all of that, she felt empty inside, Spike's coldness towards her hurting in a way no physical blow ever could.

It was overwhelming. She knew now she really couldn't get away from him. She wanted it to have been him that made her stop in the woods, but somehow she knew it wasn't. He'd given her no order either verbally or through the claim. It had been her who had stopped herself, her own body rebelling against her and refusing to put too much distance between her and her mate. Spike had told her before that they couldn't be apart, and now she knew it was true. She was bound to him.

Outside the closet, Spike lay on the bed, his mind in turmoil. Buffy was in pain both physically and emotionally, and it tore at him. He hated himself for what he'd done to her tonight, experiencing through her just how much his actions had wounded her. Still, he fought to hold back, telling himself over and over that he had to do this, that he had to make her submit to him and accept the way things were going to be for her from now on.

His resolve lasted only as long as it took for the sound of her tears to reach him. In an instant, he was on his feet, going to the closet and throwing open the door. Buffy looked up at him in fear, scooting back from him as best she could. "I'm sorry, Spike. Please…please don't hurt me. I can't anymore take anymore tonight, please…"

The sight of her now completely broke him. She was scared of him. He hadn't really wanted that, not like this anyway. He wanted her afraid to disobey him, but not for her to beg him not to hurt her anymore… Never before had such a sound been so displeasing to him. He lifted her up and she trembled, driving Spike to hold her close for a moment, whispering softly to her. "It's okay now, pet. I've got you. It's going to be okay."

She calmed slightly at his words, and Spike brought her over to the bed, untying her and dropping the ropes to the ground. He massaged her wrists, wincing at the dark red marks that showed where the ropes had been. Compelled to find a way to make it better, he leaned in, kissing the rope burns. Buffy sighed, her body relaxing now and her mind shutting down, allowing her a reprieve from the horror of the evening.

"Gonna make it all better now, pet," Spike promised her, guiding her to lie down on the bed before covering her small body with his own. He kissed her cheeks, tasting the salt of her tears before pulling up, looking into her eyes. "Do you want me, Buffy?"

She nodded, unable to speak. She did want him, god, she did. She'd tried to run and she couldn't—there was nothing she could do anymore. He had really and truly claimed her, conquered her and made her his own. She didn't have the strength left to fight it anymore.

He smiled at her admission, leaning down again to kiss her, belying a tenderness now with her that he'd never really had before. This time it wasn't about dominance between them. It was about submission.

Spike's hands caressed her body, soothing away her aches. She arched into his touch, begging him without words for more. He didn't tease her, didn't make her wait. Instead, he removed her clothes then his own, allowing them to touch skin to skin. Buffy sighed in contentment, running her hands across his back.

"This is how it can be between us, pet," Spike whispered before gently nipping her ear. "Don't you want this?"

"Yes," she said, further giving in to him. "I want this. I want…I want what you make me feel."

Spike smiled at her again, glad to know that this suffering tonight hadn't been for nothing. Buffy had finally realized where her place was with him, and things could be all right now. No more of this senseless fighting, constantly feeling like he was hitting a brick wall with her. "Tell me what you need from me right now, baby," he said, his voice a husky purr. "My hands, my mouth…whatever you want, it's yours."

"You," Buffy said. "I want you…in…" She blushed slightly, adverting her eyes as she whispered the last word. "Inside."

Spike's heart leapt, and for a second he could've sworn it was beating again. He hooked her legs around his hips before positioning himself at her entrance, hissing at the warmth that was already assaulting him. Never in his existence had he felt heat like Buffy's. He said she was fire, and here was his proof.

He waited until she turned and met his eyes before sliding all the way inside, the pair gasping in unison as he did. Buffy felt Spike reach towards her with the claim, tentatively this time, asking for the connection. She didn't refuse him, and the link between them grew, wrapping around them, biding them. Their bodies moved slowly, together, all the world falling away but the two mates, joined by a force as old as time itself.

Pleasure spiraled through the both of them, bringing them to new heights of ecstasy, bringing down all their barriers until neither could tell where one stopped and the other began. The cries that pierced the silence of the night blended together as well, sounding in harmony until they reached their shared peak, the pleasure flowing between them seemingly endless.

Buffy could still feel him there, on the edge of her consciousness as she floated back down to herself. Her body began to shake uncontrollably, and Spike pulled the covers up around them as he brought her to rest against him. She clung to him tightly, her heart thudding in her chest.

Spike had heard that sex could be like that between mates, though he hadn't ever been able to truly fathom it before then. He'd thought he had, but he'd been so far off, knowing now that he'd never have been capable of knowing what it was until experiencing it. It had been the most incredible thing he'd ever felt, and he was awestruck by how beautiful it had been.

He felt something damp hit his chest, and he looked down to see that Buffy was crying. "Kitten? Something wrong?"

"No," she said, shaking her head against him. "I just…that was…"

"I know. I don't have words for it either."

Buffy looked up, smiling almost shyly at him then. She felt peaceful here with him now, complete, and for once since she'd met him, her mind wasn't racing. Her limbs and eyelids felt heavy, and she snuggled closer to him, letting him hold her tightly in his arms. She pressed a soft kiss against his bare chest as her eyes closed, and murmured his name softly. "William…"

Her use of his given name touched him at the moment, and he smiled against her hair. He could spend eternity here in her arms and never tire of her for even a second. Her hair, her skin—she felt so soft against him. And her scent… It surrounded him, captivated him, making him breathe in deep and fill his useless lungs.

At some point during their lovemaking, the sun had risen over the horizon, and the day added its pull to the forces urging Spike towards sleep. Buffy's breathing had evened, letting him know that she was already gone, and he didn't resist following her. He whispered one last thing to her before he fell asleep fully, although he was already far gone enough to be unaware himself of what he had said.

I love you, Buffy…

*** *** ***

Periodically the muse really hits me for a story and allows me to write much faster than I normally do, and at the moment, that seems to be happening with this fic—hence the three postings in one week. I'm not sure how long it'll last, but I'm writing as much as I can while I'm feeling creative, and I hope you're enjoying it!

Please remember to review.