Buffy was still there, sitting on the bed with her knees pulled up to her chin when Spike came back. She was the very picture of misery, and Spike pushed down the twinge of sympathy he felt for her. It was merely the claim making him react to his mate being upset, nothing more.

Spike put the bags of clothes and toiletries down on the table before handing Buffy a paper fast food bag. "Here. Eat this," he ordered.

Buffy took it from him without hesitation, tearing into the food like the starving girl she was. Spike noticed then just how painfully thin she was. Her ribs protruded from her pale skin, making her look sickly. "Don't eat a lot, do you pet?" he asked.

Buffy looked up, swallowing the bite of food she had in her mouth. "Why do you care?"

"Don't really," Spike answered, shrugging. "Just figured if I'm going to be stuck with a human for a mate, she might as well be healthy enough to provide me with a decent meal now and then."

"I hate you," Buffy said, her eyes narrowed.

"Mutual," Spike replied with a cruel grin.

Buffy glanced at her food before setting it down on the nightstand, her arms now crossed in front of her chest.

"What are you doing?" Spike asked.

"I'm not hungry anymore," Buffy replied.

"Yes you are."

Buffy held up her chin defiantly. "I'm not eating anymore."

"Oh yes, you are," Spike told her, his eyes growing cold. "I had to deal with a moron in a sodding mutant cow/chicken hat for that thing, and you're going to bloody eat it!"

"No," Buffy said, her tone like that of a petulant child.

Spike looked her in the eye for a moment before speaking to her evenly. "Eat your dinner now."

Much to her horror, Buffy found herself reaching over and picking the sandwich up off the nightstand and resuming eating. "How did you do that?" she asked once she'd finished.

"I used the hold my claim has over you," Spike told her.

"Don't do that anymore!" Buffy exclaimed.

Spike chuckled, shaking his head. "Only I can give orders here, ducks. I initiated the claim, which makes you subjugated to me, not the other way around."

Buffy shook her head. "I don't want that."

"I didn't want to get stuck with you, but we don't have much of a choice in this matter anymore."

"We don't have a choice!?" Buffy yelled. "I don't have a choice! You forced this on me, took away my freedom—my free will. All this is happening because of you. You made the claim, so you've made it so we're stuck together. It's all your fault!"

"I was saving you!" Spike yelled back. "Angelus was going to rape and murder you! I didn't want to be stuck with you anymore than you want to be stuck with me, and I certainly didn't want to have to leave Drusilla, but it was the only way to make Angelus get off of you!"

"Why did you even care? You're a vampire. You should've been helping him hurt me."

Spike blinked. It was a good question, one he'd asked himself more than once. He couldn't blame the claim for his reaction then—any more than he could blame it for the fact that he hadn't killed her the first time he'd tasted her. "Because I had you first," Spike replied. "I didn't want Angelus touching you."

"So I what, got stuck in a vampire pissing contest? A game of Who's Got the Biggest Fangs?"

"You're human. You wouldn't understand it," Spike said, brushing her off as she made him question things he'd rather not think about. "Now get up and get dressed. We've still got a good bit of dark left outside, and I want to get as far out of Sunnydale as we can before sunrise."

"We're leaving?" Buffy asked in surprise. She didn’t know why, but the thought of leaving Sunnydale made her uneasy—and not just because it would be with Spike. She hadn't planned on staying long anyway, but now…where would they even go? She found herself suddenly desperate to get back to Giles. What was he thinking now that she hadn't come back to the house on Revello Drive?

"We can't stay here," Spike told her. "It won't be too long until Angelus decides fucking with us sounds like it would be entertaining. He's still all focused on the Slayer now, though, so we shouldn't have to deal with him if we just get out of town. He won't stray far from his latest stalkee." Spike found it hard to believe that he was truly leaving Drusilla behind. Granted, there had been times in the past century that they'd been separated for one reason or another, but never for long or without plans to meet someplace soon. This was real, a true break from his beloved sire. He was setting out now with a new woman by his side.

Spike saw that Buffy hadn't moved since he'd told her they were leaving. "I bloody told you to get dressed!" he yelled, taking his frustration out on the only person he could at the moment. "Do it now before I hurt you."

Buffy jumped up and went over to the clothes, knowing if she didn't do as he said, Spike would use his power over her to make her do it, and she hated that even more than willingly taking orders from him.

Spike watched her dress, pleased with how the clothes he had chosen looked on her. He leered when he saw her put on the tight red top from the bag—his favorite out of the ones he'd purchased—and wondered if the claim was nudging her to dress to please him. Her nipples were outlined by the thin material, and Spike shivered, trying to push down his lust since he knew there was time for that later—after they'd put space between them and Angelus.

Buffy looked up at him, her pupils slightly dilated, and Spike knew he hadn't kept that latest wave of lust to himself. He could feel his own desire reflected back to him through the claim, made stronger by what Buffy was feeling, too. His body trembled, any worry about repercussions from Angelus replaced by an overwhelming desire for his mate. Spike picked her up, throwing her across the bed, her legs hanging over the side. The need they were both feeling grew as Spike pulled the jeans Buffy had just put on from her body, opening up his own jeans before lifting up her legs and plunging inside of her body.

Spike grit his teeth at the first feel of Buffy surrounding him. He wondered if he'd ever become used to her heat, if the feel of her scorching him would ever seem commonplace.

Somehow, he didn't think so.

Beneath him, Buffy panted and moaned, pushing her hips up to bring him in deeper. Spike leaned down, resting on his hands now braced on the bed. He continued to pump in and out quickly, desperate for release. He could feel Buffy clinging to him as he took her, heard her beg for more, and he wondered if she was even aware of it. As much as she claimed to hate him, it was clear just how much she loved this, and Spike reveled in her enthusiasm. He knew plenty of vampires, like Angelus, who thrilled at the prospect of an unwilling woman, but Spike preferred a lover who was responsive.

Buffy screamed loudly when she came, her inner muscles clamping down hard on Spike as they spasmed. He emptied himself inside of her with a groan, stars busting behind his tightly closed eyes.

Spike lowered himself down on top of Buffy's body, nuzzling against his marks on her neck. The demon inside of him felt more content than Spike could remember it being before, satisfied in the arms of its mate. Spike supposed he could be fairly content with the girl as well, were it not for his dark princess. As far as humans went, she was tolerable, even when she was being—overly feisty. But he'd given his heart to Drusilla, and nothing was going to change that, not even now that he was mated to…

Spike stopped short, realizing he had no clue what this girl's name was. He looked up at her face. "Pet?"

Her eyes opened drowsily, her arms still around him even now that they'd finished. She looked content like the demon, and Spike wondered whose emotions she was feeling, hers or its. "Hmm?" she asked him softly.

"What's your name?"

She looked at him in surprise for a moment before she started to laugh. "I've done that with you so many times I've already lost count, yet I haven't even told you my name. I'm such a slut."

Spike chuckled. "Nah. It's just the effect of my sinister attraction. Made your brain go all wonky, it did."

"You wish," Buffy said, rolling her eyes, though there was a slight smile forming at the corner of her mouth. "And my name's Buffy."

"Buffy? Are you serious?"

"Yes, I'm serious," Buffy replied with a frown. "Why do people always ask me that when I tell them my name?"

"Because it's a right silly name," Spike said. "I knew someone once who named her poor kid Buffy. I wondered what was wrong with the chit to want to go and do that to a child."

Buffy froze at that. He had to be talking about her mother… And he hadn't just known her—he'd killed her. This monster had killed her mother, and here she was, lying with him as if he were really her lover. She pushed on Spike. "Let me up."

To his surprise, Spike was disappointed by her sudden mood change. He'd been enjoying sharing the afterglow with her. "Pet, I'm sorry. It's a lovely name—really it is."

"I'm not your pet," Buffy snapped. "And just get off of me."

Spike rolled over, allowing Buffy to scramble off the bed. She pulled her jeans back up as she went over to the bags he'd brought from the store and got out the shampoo before starting towards the bathroom.

Spike reached out when she passed him, grabbing her arm. "Where are you going?"

"Shower," Buffy said, pulling her arm in a futile attempt to get away.

"We need to leave," Spike said. "We don't have time for you to shower."

"We had time for you to fuck me," Buffy retorted. "Besides, I'm all covered in your…stuff. If I'm going to have to be stuck in a car for a while, I at least want to be clean."

Spike thought for a moment. Her scent drove him crazy enough when it didn't have his mixed with it. Being in close quarters with her when she smelled like she did now would drive him completely out of his mind. They wouldn't get very far tonight at all. "Fine, shower. But be quick about it."

Buffy hurried into the bathroom, slamming the door behind her. She looked at herself in the mirror, seeing herself dressed in the clothes he had bought for her. She'd known he'd like the red when she put it on, and now she hated the sight of it on her. She pulled her clothes off angrily, feeling sick to her stomach. Whatever sort of hold he'd put over her, she should be trying harder to resist. She should fight it for the sake of her murdered mother.

Buffy reached up, her fingers grazing over the dark red marks on her neck. She'd sworn to kill William the Bloody, yet here she was nourishing him. It was disgusting. Staying with him made her just as much a monster as he was. She turned away from her reflection, unable to face what he was making of her. Her mother would be horrified of what she was now, ashamed of the way Buffy causally laid in the arms of a vampire until he reminded her of what he had done.

She wouldn't forget again. Some stupid claim—whatever the hell that was—didn't dictate who she was. She'd just have to fight harder, resist its pull. The vampire could think whatever he wanted, but she was not his.

Buffy turned on the shower and stepped into the stall, glad to be washing him off of her. She felt covered in him, and she hated it, desperate to feel like herself again. After bathing and washing her hair, Buffy stepped back out of the shower and dried off with a hotel towel. She looked over at the clothes Spike had given her, hating the thought of having to put them back on, but knowing she didn't have much of a choice. The only clothes she had were ones he'd bought, and since she really didn't want to be naked around him anymore, she'd have to make this one concession. She could work something else out later.

Spike was sitting on the edge of the bed when she left the bathroom. The gel that usually slicked back his hair was long gone thanks to her busy fingers when they had sex. He looked very appealing sitting there on sheets they'd rumpled with their entwined bodies, and Buffy felt a flash of lust before remembering to push it down. She didn't want Spike. It was simply the claim making her think she wanted Spike. Some freaky vampire thing. The fact that she'd willingly had sex with him before the claim was made was inconsequential.

Spike looked up at her, his eyes dark, and Buffy somehow knew it was her lust he was feeling, that he'd caught her momentary flare of desire. It was then that she knew exactly why she kept being overwhelmed with want for him when only moments before she'd wanted nothing to do with him. He was pushing his own lust on to her, making her so desperate that she would succumb to him without a thought to how wrong it was. That realization both relieved and revolted her. She was glad that she wasn't as sick as she'd thought, that her ongoing desire for her mother's killer was not because of what she really felt but because of something he was doing to her. Yet she also felt sick to know he kept taking advantage of her in such a way. Clearly he knew he could push her into a forced sense of desperation in order to take his perverted pleasure in her body, and had been doing so ever since the beginning. Buffy came to the decision that that was another thing she wasn't going to bend to anymore. He could try to force all the lust on to her that he wanted to, she could be strong. She crossed her arms over her chest, glaring at Spike.

The emotions rolling off of Buffy now were like a rush of cold water to Spike. He'd been planning where they were going to go when Buffy had walked into the room, disrupting his train of thought with her rush of desire. But then she'd shut it off as quickly as she'd felt it, and the emotions she was sending through the claim now were cold. He shook his head, trying to push out her rather unsettling hostility. "You all ready then?" he asked.

"Yes."

"Good," Spike replied, standing up. "Get your stuff and follow me to the car."

*** *** ***

Another break in posts, I know, but I really want to try to get some of my WIP's done, so I'm going to try to be more regular with them. I already have another chapter of this one close to finished, so it shouldn't be too long until I can get it up.

Hopefully, you're still reading after the delay. Please leave a review if you're enjoying this story!