Chapter 10

They arrived in London and pulled up in front of a small house.

Buffy got out of the car and looked around.

Spike joined her a few seconds later.

They both walked to the house.

He opened the door and let her in first; closing it once they were inside. “Mum, you here?”

An older woman then made her presence known. “William, I’m so glad you’re home,” she said, embracing her son.

He returned the hug.

She pulled away and turned her gaze on Buffy, who felt a little uncomfortable.

Spike introduced them. “Mum, this is Buffy. She’s the girl I was telling you about.”

The woman smiled at Buffy. “She is just lovely, William. Would you like some tea, dear?”

Buffy nodded and graced her with a smile of her own, starting to feel a little more at ease. “Yes, please,” she said.

Spike was glad that they seemed to be getting along.

They walked into the kitchen and sat at the table.

His mother then placed a cup in front of Buffy. “It’s nice and warm.”

“Thanks, Mrs. Pratt,” she replied, taking a sip of the hot drink

“Please, call me Anne. I can tell that you’re someone very special to William. He talks about you so fondly.”

Buffy looked a little shy as she glanced at Spike.

He only gave her a smile.

“You two are welcome to stay here for as long as you need,” she commented, then had a sudden coughing fit.

Spike instantly went to her side. “Are you feeling okay?” he asked in concern.

Anne squeezed his hand. “I’ll be all right. I’m probably just coming down with a cold. You know how I can get around this time of year. Nothing to worry about.”

Spike didn’t seem that convinced, but he let it go.

“It’s just great to have my little pumpkin home.”

Spike’s face turned bright red. “Mum, not in front of Buffy,” he grumbled.

Buffy only smiled.

Anne laughed. “He always hates when I call him that,” she explained to Buffy, who kept the smile on her face.

“I think it’s cute.”

Spike blushed even harder.

She found it absolutely adorable when he did that.


* * * * *


Buffy and Spike were alone in his room later that night.

They were both lying in bed and kissing.

His hand suddenly slipped under her shirt.

Buffy pulled away to take a deep breath. “Spike, we can’t go any further tonight.”

“Why not?” he said with a pout.

Buffy had to stop thinking about what she wanted to do with that lip. “Your mother is a few doors down.”

Spike only shrugged and let a smile form on his face. “We can be very quiet. She wouldn’t even know.”

Buffy sighed and pushed away from him. “I would know. I would feel weird having sex in your mother’s house. Just like I would have felt weird having sex in an airplane bathroom. I’m not that kind of girl, Spike. Is that all you think about?”

He ran his fingers through his tousled hair. “I’m sorry, baby. That’s not all I think about. I would love you even if we never had sex.” A pause. “You’re not thinking about that, are you?”

Buffy slapped him playfully on his arm. “Hey, I never said I was a nun or anything. Just because I don’t like to do it certain places, doesn’t mean it’s never going to happen. I would just prefer it if we were alone. I mean really alone and not in your mother’s house. You are her little pumpkin after all,” she finished with a smirk.

Spike groaned and buried his head in his pillow. “I knew you wouldn’t have let it go that easily. My mother has ruined me.”

Buffy placed a kiss on the top of his head. “I still think it’s cute. My mom used to call me her little pumpkin belly and all kinds of embarrassing names when I was younger. Imagine how that felt.”

Spike looked up at her. “You miss them, don’t you?”

Buffy shrugged. “Maybe a little. I was finally starting to get along with Dawn. She’ll be going to high school soon and would probably need my help. I guess I miss my parents. My mom wasn’t all that bad. I just hope they understand why I had to leave.”

Spike nodded and caressed her cheek. “I’m sure they will, love. I’ll take you back to see them one day. I would never keep you away from your family.”

Buffy gave him a small smile. “I know you wouldn’t. I’m really glad I came here, Spike.”

He moved closer and pressed a quick kiss to her lips. “I’m glad you’re here, too. We should probably get some sleep now. Mum will have us up early for breakfast.”

Buffy agreed and lay back in the bed.

Spike wrapped his arms around her.

She rested her head against his chest.

They both soon drifted off to a peaceful sleep.


* * * * *


Buffy woke up the next morning and noticed that Spike was still sound asleep. She didn’t have the heart to wake him, so she got off of the bed very carefully and walked out of the room. She headed to the kitchen to see Anne having what she figured was another cup of tea.

Anne smiled at her when she walked in. “Good morning, Buffy. How did you sleep?” she asked, pouring Buffy a cup and set it down on the table.

Buffy smiled as well and sat down across from her. “Very well, thank you,” she replied, taking a long sip.

“I don’t suppose my son would be up yet. He tends to sleep like the dead sometimes.”

Buffy laughed. “That he does. It was really nice of you to let me stay here.”

Anne grasped Buffy’s hand in hers. “Think nothing of it, child. You being here means a lot to William. I don’t think I have seen him smile this much in a long time. You are very good for him.”

Buffy felt her cheeks heat up at the gratitude Anne was giving her. “I really do love him.”

An even bigger smile graced Anne’s features. “I can tell that you do. You are much better than his last girlfriend. That Cecily Underwood, she was never good enough for my William. She broke his poor heart.”

Buffy wondered why Spike never mentioned that. “What happened? If you don’t mind me asking.”

Anne shook her head. “William has always been such a sensitive boy. He used to write poetry constantly and he always loved to read them to me. Most of the poems were about Cecily, but she never appreciated them. She talked him out of writing and convinced him to change if she was going to be with him. I still have an urge to throttle that woman if I ever saw her again. He changed and did basically anything she said, but it still wasn’t enough. I don’t know much about what happened. I only know that William came home one night heartbroken because he found Cecily with another man. After everything he did for her. He locked himself in his room for days after that. I was so worried about him. He pulled through and decided to move on. He wouldn’t let her destroy him. I never saw him serious about anyone else again, until you came into the picture. I want to thank you for what you’ve done for my son. He seems like his old self again.”

Buffy started to feel tears in her eyes. She couldn’t believe that anyone would treat Spike like that. He was the best thing that ever happened to her. She knew that she would never break his heart. He was hers now and nothing would ever change that.