Chapter 12

They got on a plane the next day and headed to Sunnydale.

Buffy told Dawn that they would be coming.

The first thing they did when they arrived back in Sunnydale was go straight to the hospital.

Buffy knew that her family would be there. She was right when she found her mother and Dawn waiting by the room that she assumed her father was in. She walked over to them.

Dawn smiled and went to hug her sister.

Buffy reciprocated the embrace, then looked at her mother.

Joyce walked over to Buffy and gave her a hug as well.

Buffy hesitated a little before she returned it.

“I’m so glad you’re here, honey,” she whispered in her daughter’s ear.

Buffy only nodded.

Joyce pulled out of the hug. She then noticed Spike standing behind Buffy and graced him with a small smile.

He was surprised and smiled in return.

“How is he?”

Joyce brought her gaze back on Buffy. “He’s still unconscious. They don’t know how long he’ll be out. He has a minor head injury and some cuts and bruises, but nothing too serious. The doctor said he should be fine.”

Buffy sighed in relief at the news.

Joyce decided to change the subject and glanced back at the young man. “I’m sorry; I don’t believe we’ve met.”

Buffy introduced him. “Mom, this is Spike. He’s my boyfriend.”

Joyce smiled. “It’s nice to meet you. I’m sorry about everything that happened. My husband can be a bit pigheaded. He just wants what’s best for Buffy.”

Spike nodded. “Well, that’s something we have in common then. I love your daughter, Mrs. Summers. She means everything to me.”

Joyce could tell how sincere he was. “I’m sure you do. I know Hank will come around. He’s a good man; he just tends to have a bad temper. He missed you terribly, Buffy.”

She started to feel guilty. “I’m sorry about leaving the way I did. I just had to get out for a while. I had to do what I wanted for a change.”

Her mother nodded in understanding. “You don’t have to explain anything to me. I was a young girl once myself. I just wish you would have talked to me, Buffy. I’m sorry if I made you think that you couldn’t.”

Buffy had tears in her eyes now. “I think I’m ready to talk,” she whispered.

Joyce gave her a watery smile. “I’m ready to listen,” she replied, hugging her daughter again. She was just grateful to finally have her home.


* * * * *


Buffy took a deep breath before she entered her father’s hospital room.

Spike was waiting with Joyce and Dawn, so she could have a private moment with Hank.

Buffy gasped at the sight of him. He looked so lifeless lying there. She took another breath and moved closer to him. She sat in the chair that was by the bed and took his clammy hand in hers. She didn’t know if he would be able to hear her, but she had to try. “I hate that we always fight, Daddy. I just wish you could see that I’m not a little kid anymore. I’m sorry for leaving like that, but you have to understand why I did it. I felt smothered in that house. Spike is a good man, Dad. I know you would like him if you just got to know him. You’ll see that he’s the perfect man for me. It doesn’t matter if he has money. The only thing that matters is that he has a good heart. He’ll always be there for me,” she whispered the last part and gripped her father’s hand tighter. She suddenly felt his fingers move, then looked up at his face to see that his eyes were now open and staring at her. She felt relieved when he gave her a smile.

“Angel face, you came back?”

Buffy felt more tears in her eyes now at the name that her father used to call her when she was little. “Yeah, I came back. How are you feeling?”

He let out a sigh. “Like I got hit by a truck. Nothing this old man can’t handle.”

Buffy had to laugh at that.

Hank then grew serious and gazed at his daughter, finally realizing that she was growing up. “I heard what you said, Buffy. I didn’t mean to make you feel that you had to run away. I haven’t been a very good father. I should have listened to you about what you wanted.”

Buffy nodded and felt that they were making some progress. “I want to come home, Daddy,” she said in a small voice, but she wasn’t finished. “I want to finish high school and be with my friends, but things are going to have to be different. I can’t live by your rules anymore. Spike is a part of my life now. I love him and that’s not going to change. I need to know that you can accept that.”

Hank gave her hand a squeeze. “I can see how much he means to you. I won’t stand in the way of that. I just want you home, princess. That’s all I care about.”

Buffy was relieved again and stood up to give her father a hug, trying not to hurt him.

He wrapped his arms around her.

“I love you, Daddy,” she whispered.

Hank felt tears in his eyes. He couldn’t believe how close he was to losing his daughter. “I love you, too.”

Buffy pulled out of the hug and wiped her eyes. “I’ll let you rest now. You can officially meet Spike when you’re feeling better.”

He agreed. “I would like that.”

Buffy placed a kiss on his cheek. She then left the room to join the rest of her family, which now included Spike.

Things were finally starting to look better.