Chapter 3

Buffy made it to the beach a little early and was waiting for Spike to show up. She was watching the ocean for a few minutes, when he suddenly appeared next to her.

They were both silent.

She decided to speak up first. “It’s beautiful, isn’t it?”

“Yeah, definitely beautiful.”

She turned to look at him and noticed that he was staring at her, not the ocean. She blushed and glanced away from him.

Spike had to smile at how adorable she was.

They spent the next hour walking along the beach and getting to know each other better.

“So, you live in England?”

He nodded. “Yes, I’m only here for the summer. I needed a holiday and I used to love it here when I was a kid.”

Buffy nodded as well, feeling saddened at the thought of him leaving when the summer was over.

Spike took her hand and smiled. “Care for a swim?” he suddenly asked.

Buffy raised her eyebrows at the unexpected question. “It’s a little cold out.”

He waved his hand in the air. “That’s the whole point. I promise to warm you up afterwards.”

Buffy found herself blushing for the millionth time. “I don’t have a swimsuit,” she claimed softly.

Spike’s smile grew bigger. “That’s even better,” he said with a wink, pulling her closer to the water. “Come on, love. Live a little.” He started to remove his clothes.

Buffy gulped at the sight of his bare chest.

He then ran into the water.

She was somewhat relieved that he left his boxers on.

Spike gazed up at her. “Come on in, pet. The water feels great.”

Buffy couldn’t believe that she was about to do this. She started to take off her clothes, so that she was only in her bra and underwear. She then followed his lead and shivered when the cold water hit her.

Spike swam over to her, running his hands down her arms.

She suddenly felt warmer at his touch.

“See, that wasn’t so hard.”

Buffy lost her ability to speak with the way he was looking at her.

Spike then moved his gaze to her mouth and started to lean in closer. He was soon pressing his lips to hers.

Buffy was taken by surprise, then found herself returning the kiss. It was the best kiss of her life, not that she had a lot to compare it to. She couldn’t believe that she was half naked and kissing a man she hardly even knew, but she never wanted to stop.

He pulled away when breathing became an issue and rested his head against hers. “I feel like I’ve known you forever,” he whispered.

Buffy had to agree. “I know the feeling.”

Spike tucked a strand of wet hair behind her ear.

They kissed again and right now, everything was perfect.


* * * * *


They got out of the water a little while later and put their clothes back on.

Spike placed his duster around her. He rubbed her arms again to try and warm her.

She just gave him a grateful smile.

He offered to walk her home.

Buffy felt nervous when they finally made it to her house. She stopped him before they got too close. “Thanks, I can take it from here.”

He nodded in understanding. “Ashamed to be seen with me?”

Buffy shook her head, not wanting him to think that. “No, of course not. It’s my parents, they’re very complicated.”

Spike glanced up at her house. It was more like a mansion. He then looked back at Buffy. “Yeah, I can see that. By the looks of things, you would be pretty rich,” he said.

“My parents are rich. I just happen to live here. Dad’s a lawyer and Mom’s a psychologist. I have to say that it’s a lot of fun having a shrink in the house. I get free counseling everyday,” she stated sarcastically.

Spike could tell that things didn’t seem to be going well for her. “I take it you’re not happy,” he replied, stating the obvious.

Buffy gave him a sad smile. “What gave it away? Money doesn’t make everyone happy. I feel like I’m a prisoner in my own house. I would give anything to get away from here.”

Spike wished he could make things better. He reached out and caressed her cheek. “Meet me here tomorrow at nine? I’m not done getting to know you yet.”

Buffy smiled and was glad that he still wanted to see her. “I would have to sneak out.”

“Don’t tell me you’ve never snuck out before.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Please, I sneak out all the time.”

He clearly didn’t believe her, but let it go. “Then it shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll be outside your bedroom window.”

Buffy didn’t think that was the best idea, but she only nodded. “Okay, just try not to get caught. It would be hell for both of us.”

Spike agreed.

She suddenly had a thought. “You know, this is kinda like Romeo and Juliet.” A frown then formed on her face. “Let’s just hope we have a better ending.”

Spike smiled and placed a quick kiss on her lips. “I promise we’ll have a better ending. Goodnight, Juliet,” he whispered to her.

She smiled. “Goodnight, Romeo.”

He gave her one more kiss before he turned and walked away.

Buffy touched her lips and smiled as she walked toward her house. She climbed the tree that was outside her window because she didn’t want to face her parents and explain why her hair was wet. She opened the window and stepped into her room, only to discover that it wasn’t empty. “What are you doing in here?”

Dawn crossed her arms over her chest. “What are you doing sneaking in the window?”

Buffy rolled her eyes and didn’t care to explain herself to her bratty kid sister. “I didn’t feel like dealing with the parents. What’s it to you?”

Dawn shrugged and then noticed her sister’s appearance. “Why is your hair wet?”

Buffy sighed and sat on her bed.

“That’s none of your business.”

Dawn realized that she wasn’t going to get anything out of Buffy, but that never stopped her. “You’re up to something. I’m gonna figure it out,” she said, then left the room.

Buffy let out another sigh and lay back on her bed. She couldn’t think about Dawn right now. She was too busy thinking about Spike. She really hoped they would have a good ending.