Chapter 4

Buffy snuck out of her window the next night and climbed down the tree. She smiled at Spike when she saw that he was waiting for her.

He took her hand and they headed over to his car.

They got in and drove off, not knowing that they were being watched by a nosy teenager.


* * * * *


“Okay, I officially suck at this.” Buffy said with a pout as they finished playing a game of pool, where Spike was continuing to beat her.

He only smiled at how cute she looked when she did that. “It takes practice. I’ve been playing since I was twelve.”

That caused Buffy to wonder about something. “How old are you, anyway? I can’t believe I never thought to ask.”

Spike smiled again and moved closer to her. “How old do I look?”

She shook her head. “No, I’m not even going to guess. That would probably get me in trouble.”

Spike laughed this time and just decided to tell her. “I’m only twenty, pet.”

Buffy sighed in relief when she realized he wasn’t that much older than her.

“What about you?”

Buffy forgot that he didn’t even know her age, either. “I turn eighteen next month.”

Spike nodded. “So, what do you want for your birthday?” he wondered, wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her closer.

“Surprise me,” she responded.

Spike then pressed his lips to hers in a soft kiss. He just met her, but he already couldn’t get enough of her. There was something special about this girl and he wanted to get to know everything about her. He pulled away when breathing became an issue, then took her hand in his. “Let’s get out of here.”

Buffy agreed and let him lead her away.


* * * * *


They were both walking the streets hand in hand, neither knowing what to say to start a conversation.

Buffy was about to speak up, but she noticed a familiar person in the distance.

He noticed her as well and smiled.

She walked over to him and gave him a smile of her own. “Hey, Riley.”

“Hey, Buffy. It’s good to see you again.”

She nodded and then took notice of the dark haired woman standing next to him.

Riley decided to introduce them. “This is my girlfriend, Faith,” he said, looking between both girls. “This is Buffy; she’s the one I told you my parents were trying to set me up with.”

Faith nodded in understanding. “It’s nice to meet you, B.”

Buffy looked the brunette over. This girl seemed to be the exact opposite of Riley and she now understood why his parents tried to set him up with someone else. She had more in common with him than she thought. “Same here, this is Spike,” she introduced him. She wasn’t really sure about calling him her boyfriend yet. “I see our parents are exactly the same.”

Riley agreed. “Yeah, they don’t think Faith is good enough for me. They’re constantly trying to set me up, but I don’t really go along with it. I’m the only one that gets to choose who I want to be with. Not that I didn’t like you or anything, Buffy.”

She held her hand up. “Don’t worry, I get it. They’ve been doing the same thing to me for as long as I can remember. We should be able to make our own decisions.”

Riley nodded in agreement. “You’re right about that. We should really get going now. Maybe I’ll see you around?”

Buffy nodded as well. “Maybe, good luck with everything.”

He gave her another smile before walking away with Faith.

Buffy turned to Spike, who remained quiet the whole time. “You okay?” she wondered with concern.

He only smiled at her. “Yeah, so that’s the bloke they want you to marry?”

She nodded again. “I’m afraid so, but I’m so relieved he has a girlfriend.”

Spike silently agreed.

They turned and walked away, once again hand in hand.


* * * * *


They made it to her house a little while later.

Spike was finding it hard to let her go, even though he knew he would be seeing her again. He really hoped, anyway.

“This keeps getting harder,” she whispered and gazed into his eyes.

“I know what you mean. Just letting you go even for one night is bloody killing me.”

Buffy nodded and started to feel tears in her eyes. “I wish we didn’t have to hide.”

Spike agreed and placed a kiss on her forehead. “Maybe someday we won’t have to.”

Buffy shook her head, wishing she could believe that. “They’ll never understand.”

She sounded so broken that Spike only wanted to hold her and never let go. “You have to believe that things will change. They won’t always be so hard.”

Buffy gave him a small smile. “I wish I had your confidence.”

“You have plenty. I’ll see you tomorrow, love. You’ll know where to find me,” he said, finally letting her hand go.

The tears fell down her face as Buffy watched him leave. She just wiped her eyes and started walking to her house. She snuck in the window and once again found Dawn waiting in her room. She sighed and stepped inside. “You have to stop making a habit of this, Dawn.”

The girl was determined to find out the truth. “Where were you tonight?”

Buffy couldn’t deal with this right now. “Stay out of my business,” she practically growled.

Dawn wasn’t easily scared. “I saw you with that guy, Buffy. You can’t hide anything from me.”

Buffy’s eyes bulged at what her sister said. “You were spying on me?”

Dawn shrugged. “I got bored. You know, Mom and Dad would freak if they found out that you have been sneaking out to meet a guy. Especially one that looks like that.”

Buffy moved closer to her sister and was willing to plead with her, which was something that she would never normally do. “You can’t tell them, Dawn. I’ve never asked you for anything before. Please, don’t tell them. They’ll make me stop seeing him if they find out.”

Dawn was surprised to hear the fear in her older sister’s voice. She let out a sigh and sat down on Buffy’s bed. “Fine, spoil my fun. I won’t tell them.”

Buffy smiled now and gave Dawn a hug, pulling away after a few seconds.

“Okay, stop with all the mushiness. You so owe me.”

Buffy nodded and kept the smile on her face. “Thanks, I knew you couldn’t be all that evil.”

Dawn glared at her. “Don’t get used to it,” she said, standing up and walking out of the room.

Buffy was beyond relieved and changed her clothes. She got in bed and stared up at the ceiling. Maybe her sister wasn’t so bad after all.