Chapter 7

Dawn snuck back in the house to find her parents still arguing. She just rolled her eyes and headed upstairs to Buffy’s room. She unlocked the door and found her sister sitting on her bed clutching her stuffed pig to her chest, silent tears rolling down her face.

Buffy didn’t even bother to look up when Dawn walked in and sat down next to her.

Dawn decided to be the first one to speak. “Are you okay?” she asked, even though she knew there was no way Buffy could be okay.

Buffy only shook her head and finally glanced up at Dawn. “I hate him,” she said harshly.

Dawn knew she was referring to their father. “I kinda hate him right now, too. He’s not being fair. You should be able to see whoever you want. Spike seems like a great guy, it’s not right for Dad to judge him like that.”

Buffy wiped at her eyes and stared at her younger sister, who seemed so much older than her thirteen years. “You saw Spike?”

Dawn nodded. “He was outside. I told him to give you some time. We’ll figure something out.”

Buffy wasn’t convinced. “Dad will never change. He’ll never accept Spike. I just don’t know what to do,” she claimed as fresh tears started to fall from her eyes.

Dawn moved closer and gave her sister a hug, which Buffy returned.

They were like that for a few minutes, when someone cleared a throat in the doorway.

They pulled away to see their father standing there.

“Dawn, go to your room.”

She nodded and headed to the door, glaring at him before leaving.

Hank turned his attention back on Buffy. “I want you downstairs. We need to talk,” he told her, no emotion in his voice. He then turned and walked away.

Buffy wiped the remaining tears and stood up after a few seconds. She headed downstairs and dreaded the conversation that was about to take place.


* * * * *


“Hank, think about this.” Joyce said when Buffy finally made it downstairs.

“I have thought about this. It’s the only thing to do right now.”

Buffy wondered what they were talking about. She knew it couldn’t be anything good.

Hank turned and looked at her.

“What’s going on?” she wondered.

Joyce decided to remain silent.

Buffy gazed at her father.

He took a deep breath before he spoke. “We have made a decision, Buffy. There’s a boarding school in Switzerland. It’s an all girl school and they are taking students over the summer. I have already made arrangements and you are to be leaving in two weeks.”

Buffy couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She shook her head once the shock wore off. “No, I’m not going to some boarding school. You can’t do this,” she said in a pleading tone, but Hank wasn’t having it.

“This is not a discussion. We’re doing what is best for you and that’s final.”

Buffy felt more tears in her eyes and decided to give him a piece of her mind. She couldn’t let this happen. “This isn’t what’s best for me. This is what’s best for you. I do something you don’t approve of and you send me away. I’m not going; I don’t care what anyone says. I’m not a child anymore; you can’t make me do anything I don’t want to.”

Hank glared at Buffy, trying to keep his voice calm. “You are the one that’s always saying you want to get out of here.”

“This isn’t what I want. You can’t make me go!” She ran back upstairs, with more tears streaming down her face.

Hank shook his head and watched Buffy’s departure. He then glanced at Joyce, only to see a look of anger on her face.

She just turned and walked away from him.

He decided to let them cool off before he did anything else. Buffy would accept it, eventually. She would see that he made the right decision.


* * * * *


Buffy started to pack some of her stuff. She shoved them into a bag the second she got to her room.

Dawn showed up after she heard what happened. She always was nosy. “What are you doing?”

Buffy turned to look at her. “I have to get out of here, Dawn. I won’t let him send me away. I’m going to see Spike,” she explained and got back to packing her belongings.

“Won’t that make things worse?”

Buffy shook her head. “He can’t possibly make it any worse. I can’t stay here another second. I need to be with him.”

Dawn nodded after a moment. “Okay, I’ll tell them that you went to bed early.”

Buffy smiled and gave her a hug. “Thanks, Dawny. You’re a pretty good sister.”

She smiled in return. “You’re not so bad yourself. Are you coming back?”

Buffy shrugged. “I don’t know. I just need to see Spike. I’ll figure it out then.” She got everything that she needed and looked back at Dawn. She gave her younger sister one more hug. “You be good.”

Dawn nodded again, not knowing what else to say.

Buffy pulled out of the hug, then grabbed her bag and moved over to the window. She smiled at her sister before climbing out of the window and down the tree.

Dawn watched as Buffy made it to the ground, then took off running. She sighed and headed back to her room. Her parents were fighting again and she was surprised that her mother was sticking up for Buffy. Joyce would usually always take Hank’s side, thinking that her husband was never wrong. It sounded like her mother didn’t like the idea of her father sending Buffy away.

She walked into her room and closed the door. She could still hear the voices, so she decided to put her headphones on. She sighed and glanced at her desk, where there was a picture of her and Buffy when they were younger. They used to be closer then, but it looked like they were starting to get close again. Dawn would really miss her sister if she left.