Chapter 3

“That one there, that’s Knight’s Templar, Freemasons and all that” Giles said, tapping the triangle with the eye shape in the middle

“Probably just the way I drew it, but that’s what the tape said, triangle with an eye shape in the middle………to be truthful Giles, I really don’t think that this is slay-“

“Giles, Wes, come quick!” Gunn came racing into Wesley’s small office, and left just as quickly. The two watchers raced down the corridor and into the conference room they’d vacated not half an hour previously.

They got there to see Cordelia sitting, looking very disorientated, sipping a glass of water, insisting that she was ‘fine now, and don’t fuss’………

“What, what is it, what happened?”

“I gave Cordelia this, she wanted something that actually came from the jungle – see that, what’s holding the strap onto the case, (he pointed out the Bowie knife-case) that’s some jungle vine I wound around it so I wouldn’t loose it when it broke – anyway, she’s had some sort of vision” Riley explained

Giles turned to look at Cordelia, Wesley was squatting down in front of her, her face in his hands, checking her eyes

“Are you alright Cordy?”

“Yeah, sure…wow, that was powerful”

“What did you see?”

“Nothing definite…it’s big, whatever it is, it’s huge”

“Like an elephant?” Giles ventured

Cordelia took another sip of water and shook her head

“No, much bigger, like um…like a truck, yeah, like a huge big tru – dinosaur! That’s it! Like one of those um…big ones, with the long neck and the fat body…if somebody can get me a book of dinosaurs or something………then again, I saw smoke…could be a dragon!!”

***********************

Spike was lying on the bed, hands clasped behind his head, supposedly researching. Buffy was reading, when the knock came

Buffy opened the door and Gunn said,

“Hi, sorry to interrupt you, but um, well, there’s been a development”

*****************

“That’s it, a dragon, or a dinosaur?” Spike asked, not managing to keep the sarcasm out of his voice

“That’s what the lady said” Angel said smiling as he leaned against the desk looking fondly at Cordelia

“Well *I* think I was right first time round…too much of the old throat gargle, dinosaur indeed!” Spike mimed a drinking action to Buffy, who smirked.

Angel stood up straight and said indignantly,

“I’ll have you know my Cordy hasn’t been wrong ever before!”

“And I’M saying, there’s always a first time!” Spike said

“I’d have thought that you of all people would be able to put aside any prejudices you have and-“

Giles and Wesley strode into the conference room and announced

“Buffy – you’ll leave for Guatemala tonight, from there you’ll be taken under military escort to Belmopan, that’s the capital of Belize, you’ll do three days survival training and then you’ll go out into the jungle and do what you do best – kill the monster”

“Whoa, hey slow down there a minute…I don’t think there’s been enough research done yet!” Spike said, with a huge frown on his face.

“Time is of the essence here, by the time Buffy gets there, those men will already have been missing for nearly nine days”

“And she’s walking into WHAT – She’s not equipped, hell Giles I’ve said this earlier, if the Initiative can’t find them, with all their training and equipment, how the hell do expect Buffy – “

“The decision has been made – Buffy please be ready by 6pm, you can sleep on the plane”

“I’m coming with you babe”

“Spike, this is a covert government operation, you-“

Spike could feel his anger welling up, but he tried to keep calm, he said quietly,

“I am not prepared to let my wife go on her own, *I* am GOING with her whether you like it or not”

“Actually Spike, that will be fine, I was thinking we should all go” Wesley said

“ALL, but what…okay, okay – seems like you got your wish” Giles turned and left

“Thanks Wes, now if you don’t mind, I need to um…be with my husband”

“Sure, right, see you later” Wesley left and Buffy shut the door. For some reason, Spike thought that Buffy was annoyed with him, but nothing could have been further from the truth…


*************

Buffy slid her arms around Spike’s neck; his automatically went round her waist.

“Never had to kill a dinosaur before”

“And you shouldn’t have to now pet, honestly – I don’t know what the hell Giles is thinking”

“At least he’s coming with us”

“You think that’ll be a help?”

“No, but at least he’ll be as hot and uncomfortable as the rest of us will be”

“Oh stop, I can just picture him now, knotted hankie on his head, trousers rolled up to half mast with a fly whisk in his hand, doing a ‘aah, Dr Livingston, I presume’ bit!” Spike said, then he lowered his head and dropped a soft kiss on her hair.

Buffy raised her head, sought his mouth and they began to kiss with mounting passion.

Suddenly the door opened and Gunn walked in, saw them and apologised

“Oh um, sorry – sorry! Forgot my um…” he reached for his cell phone off one of the desks and held it up, and left.

“How long have we got before we go?”

Spike shot back his cuff, looked at his watch and said,

“It’s just midday now, so six hours”

Buffy let her arms slip and she caught his hand

“Come on, let’s go find Angel’s room!”

As they walked down the corridor towards Angel’s room, they could hear raised voices, one male, and one female, they slowed their pace and listened………

“……………I AM, and that’s an end to it!”

“NO, you’re NOT, I forbid it!”

“Look Angel, I don’t know when you suddenly decided that you’re the boss of me, but-“

“But I AM your boss!”

“You know what I mean! Work’s different!”

“This isn’t work!”

“It is!”

“It isn’t!”

“I had a vision – “

“Okay then, you had a vision, but indirectly, and as your boss, I’m telling you, you’re not going out to Belize! You’ll HATE it – it’ll ruin your hair! And your nails – there’s insects and snakes, spiders big as dinner plates, all manner of nasty creepy-crawlies, look Cordy, I don’t want that for you!”

“Angel………I thought, well HOPED you’d noticed that I’d changed. These visions, they’ve given me a sense of responsibility now. I’m not so superficial anymore – and I might be able to help”

“Fine, go if you want then, but don’t come running to me if you wind up getting hurt – or worse, dead!” Angel yanked the door open and saw Buffy, then Spike, ignored them both and strode off down the corridor.

Buffy went to the door and said,

“Um, knock, knock – can I – we come in?”

“Oh hi Buffy, sure come on in”

They went in and closed the door behind them.

“Did you hear that? – Angel’s mad because I’m coming with you”

She folded something and put it in a little vanity case

“He’s only thinking of your safety, pet” Spike said, and both girls gave the vampire a wry smile at him defending Angel.

“Like you was only thinking of Buffy’s safety! I could be of use!”

“Cordelia…pet, don’t get me wrong when I say this, but have you ever seen one of those movies, where there’s a young woman, totally out of her depth? You know the one, the one who when she tries to run away from the baddie she trips and twists her ankle, the one who screams at the first sight of a snake or creepy-crawly, the one who falls into a raging torrent of water and can’t swim…we won’t have the time or the man-power to carry anybody – do you get my drift?”

“Sure I do, but I didn’t say I was going to trek through the jungle, all I said was I might be able to help with the visions – once I’m there, I might get a clearer picture of this beast – I can be back at base and relay stuff to you” She reached for a pot of moisturiser that was on the side, tucked it in her case and closed it.

“There – that’s me packed. I’m going down to the lounge, I’ll see you later”

“That WAS Cordy, wasn’t it?” Spike asked, incredulously

“I was wondering that!”

“Lock the door pet…we don’t want any more interruptions…” Spike stood and began to shed his clothes…