Chapter 5

“Baby…come on Kitten, wakey-wakey!” Spike leant over and whispered in her ear, then kissed her cheek. Buffy woke, smiled and put her arms around his neck, drawing him down for a kiss.

“’Fraid we’ve got to right the seats and put on our safety belts babe, we’re coming into land”

Buffy frowned, suddenly remembering where she was. She snatched a quick kiss and stretched, yawning.

Spike stood and folded the two blankets, whilst Buffy put the seats upright, and then fixed her lap belt. She looked out of the window; it was pitch black except for a line of lights illuminating the runway.

“OW! Oh – oh god, I HATE THIS – Ow!” Buffy shook her head slightly, pressing one ear and trying to swallow to stop her ears popping.

They landed smoothly and soon came to a stop. Everybody unclipped their belts and stood, gathering belongings together, mostly yawning. There was a loud ‘thump’ and the door behind the cockpit opened, and steps were fitted

“Captain Finn?” a guy in uniform said, entering the plane

“That’s me”

“I’ve been told to give you this sir, and to tell you that there are no formalities, you can get straight into the waiting cars on the runway”

“Thankyou – okay people did you hear that – cars are waiting for us, just get in one – our stuff will be taken on for us”

“Hope there’s something to eat when we get there, I’m starving!” Buffy said yawning and shivering slightly as the cool night air permeated the plane.

Spike, Buffy, Gunn and Wesley got into the nearest blacked out car and it quietly sped off. Ten minutes later they pulled up and the driver got out and held open the door for them.

They walked into a low, single-storey building, where two women in military uniform were waiting for them

“If you’d like to follow me, we have refreshments waiting for you, then you can sleep”

“Oh great – I could eat a horse! – Hmm…I smell toasty cheese…I hope its pizza!” Buffy salivated as she approached the servery hot plate, there was all sorts of goodies on offer, pizza being one of them, she took a slice and bit into it while waiting to be served with lasagne, fries and salad.

After everybody had arrived and had eaten their fill, they were shown to room with two single beds in each.

“Which one do you want pet?”

“Same one as you, I’m not sleeping alone!”

Spike chuckled and they got undressed and got into bed, both wondering what this little escapade would bring………………


******************


“………………And the golden rule is?” the sergeant asked holding his pointing stick at both ends as he walked back and forth in front of the blackboard - everyone assembled in the classroom dutifully replied with the mantra that had been drilled into them since 8.30am that morning…

“Don’t bother it, and it won’t bother you”

“Good – right that takes care of the creepy-crawlies and the snakes – as it’s 11o’clock, we shall now break for coffee and resume at 11.15 – we shall show you how to set up camp with tarps and material you find on the jungle floor”

“Can’t wait!” Spike muttered, standing and stretching

“What’s a tarp?” Buffy asked, making her way to the back of the room where coffee and cookies had been laid out.

“Tarpaulin – it’s a waterproof sheet” Gunn said helpfully

Buffy sighed and said,

“I just want to get in there, get that beastie, and get out again…and there is NO WAY on earth I’d eat one of those grub thingies – ew – I’d rather starve!”

“Hmm, I know what you mean, mind you, I did once eat half a tub of chocolate covered ants until I found out what they were…” Gunn said, stirring his coffee

“EW! You didn’t!”

Gunn nodded and said,

“My brother, Audley bought them for me as a joke one time for my birthday…”

“Buffy, can I have a word please?” Riley came up to her, and Buffy glanced at Spike, put her cup down on the table and followed him till they were out of everybody’s earshot.

Spike watched casually, leaning against the table

“We want you to learn how to use this portable laser-gun we’ve developed, it could be just the thing for killing this monster”

“But what about the bush-craft?”

“Don’t worry, as long as everybody else learns, they can make you a tent, this is really important”

“Okay – When do you want me to come, after dinner?”

“No, now, after coffee”

“I’ll just go tell Spike” Riley nodded and left. Buffy came over to her husband

“Baby, they want me to learn how to use this weapon thingy they’ve got, so you take extra care to see how to make me safe in my sleeping bag, okay – how to keep the creepy-crawlies out”

“Will do pet – and um…well be careful babe” Buffy nodded, kissed him lightly and left.

Giles came over to Spike and asked what was happening, and Spike told him

“Oh, they’ve decided to let her use it then…this thing is supposed to be ultra-top secret”

“What thing?”

“Um, well, I’m not sure I should say”

Spike gave Giles a single raised eyebrow look, and Giles rolled his eyes and said,

“All I know, it’s something to do with lasers – or rather a laser – hit the monster in the right spot, and boom”

“But they don’t know what it is yet! So how in the hell can they know where to bloody hit the thing?”

Giles went to reply, opened his mouth, thought about what Spike had just said and frowned, closing his mouth, but then he said

“Ah…good point!”

Spike folded his arms disgustedly and said,

“Left hand doesn’t know what the bleedin’ right hands doing with this lot – I honestly wouldn’t trust them as far as I could throw them – any of them”


**************


After walking down a series of corridors, with Riley having to stop and punch in codes to get through the doors, they eventually arrived outside a door marked ‘Code A1 – Top Secret’ All staff to have A1 class clearance’ this time, Riley entered a long code, and the door clicked open.

They walked to a desk with a soldier sitting behind it.
“Captain Riley Finn, this is Miss Summers, she has special classification clearance, Major General Hank Franklin’s orders – here you are”

Riley handed the soldier the envelope that he had been given on the plane by the soldier.

After checking it, the soldier allowed them through.
“We’ll have to put special overalls on – we’re going into a dust sensitive area”

After donning the smallest pair of overalls they could find, Riley had to help rolling up the trouser leg bottoms and the arms

“This is Dr Alistair Munroe, he developed the stun-laser you’re going to use”

The Dr cast an eye over Buffy, and to be truthful, didn’t seem all that impressed with the tiny blonde.

“I was expecting somebody bigger”

“Don’t worry about my size or strength, doctor – I’m very deceptive”

“Really – well it’s your accuracy at hitting a target that’s my main concern at the moment”

“Dr Monroe, I can assure you that Buffy is, how shall we put it, more than capable of-“

“Yes, yes, well, come along, let’s see, shall we?”

Various size targets were put on the walls, getting smaller and smaller, representing the target getting further away the smaller it got.

Six targets were up, and the Dr said to Buffy, handing her a small pistol, you need to get a bullseye in at least four of them before I’m satisfied you’ll be able to use the weapon”

Buffy took the pistol, and closing one eye, she accurately put a bullet dead centre of each target

The Dr looked surprised at first, then he smiled

“Very good! – Now stamina, I think-“

“Dr Monroe, we chose Miss Summers for this assignment because we know of her capabilities, her strength and stamina are second to none”

Riley stated. The doctor looked at Riley for a few seconds, and then bowing his head slightly, he acquiesced to the captain’s obvious superior knowledge.

The Doctor watched as the small feisty blonde picked up the shoulder launched weapon like it was a pen, and not something that weighed in at 23lbs.

“Can I have a few practice-shots with it?”

“You may – but NOT in here I hasten to add, it would start a fire – come on through to the weapons testing range”

They all walked down more corridors with more doors with codes to be punched in. Ever the gentleman, Riley offered to carry the weapon for her, but Buffy declined.

**************


Buffy had been shown how to set up the weapon, and fire it. She set it on the ground, resting the shoulder-pad part on her collarbone.

“Right, I’m ready to fire” Buffy said, closing one eye, looking down the site.

“Hey, hold on, not so fast, we’ve got to do this for training purposes…won’t be a few seconds

“Laser-Stun testing, 12th October – present Dr Alistair Munroe, Captain Riley Parker and Miss Buffy Summers………”

Buffy sighed and rolled her eyes, waiting for riley to shut up. It suddenly went quiet and Buffy perked up, renewing her focus on aligning the sight on the laser.

“Okay, can I – “

“Don’t be so impatient, I’m looking for the serial number!”

Buffy could feel her temper getting shorter – that was one trait she’d begun to think like Spike, officialdom, too much bloody waffle and red tape!

“Ah, got it!” Riley said, and was just about to read it out when Buffy chipped in,

“Well hurry up – god knows I won’t have time for all this palaver when I’m in the thick of it out there!”

Riley gave her a look – thought how much her temperament had changed, Angel was right, being around Spike all the time had changed her.

“Now, you have two main targets, the head, and the chest area, both of these areas give the optimum for death to occur instantaneously”

The Dr said, waiting for her to reply.

“Did you hear me, Miss Summers?”

“Can I fire now?” Buffy was supposed to hit the first target, have it examined, then fire at the next, have it examined, etc, until all six targets had been hit.

Buffy had had enough and wanted to get back to her husband.

She lined up, and fired, the targets all shook and sizzled as the white-hot beam did it’s job, she having placed three shots to the centre of the ‘beasts’ brain, right between his eyes, and three shots to the chest, exactly where the heart would be. She stood, dusted herself down and said,

“There, does that prove to you I can do it? – Look, can I go now?”

The Dr had snatched off his eye-protectors in shock as he saw this tiny girl had hit six targets with such pinpoint accuracy – he’d never seen anything like it!

“Well I! I’m speechless!”

Buffy just shrugged and said, well can I?

Riley pressed the button on the wall to fetch the targets to him along some track loop. The Doctor was dumb-founded and too shocked to speak as he snatched the nearest target off as it reached him

“Ahem, I said, can I – “

“Sorry, sorry yes, Buffy, you can go – just pull on the doors, they’ve already scanned you - you can go through without any problems”