Chapter Fourteen



Buffy and Dawn were lounging by the pool sunbathing. Dawn was lying on her stomach reading Cosmo while Buffy was sitting up watching Sarah play by the steps of the pool.

"So, I still can’t believe Spike is the famous William Giles that Dad is always talking about," Dawn commented looking away from her magazine.

"Yeah, I know," Buffy agreed. Not wanting to take the same conversation they’d been having since Spike’s party any further, Buffy hailed down a waiter and ordered herself a margarita. "Want anything?"

"Make that two," Dawn told the waiter. Before Buffy could stop him, he was gone to get their drinks. Dawn grinned evilly.

"Alright but just one!" Buffy warned.

Dawn rolled her eyes. "Have you decided when you’re going to tell Spike about Sarah yet?"

Buffy sighed. "No, not yet."

"Well, get a move on it already Don’t you think he deserves to know?" Buffy nodded, but remained silent. "And I mean you wanna get back together with the guy, but you haven’t even seen him since Luce the other night."

"I’ll tell him when the time is right."

"C’mon it can’t be any harder than telling Mom and Dad." Dawn chuckled. "I bet you thought you’d never have to go through that again, huh?"



November 1997

"Okay, either I’ll call you right after or I’ll be at your house because my Mom’s gonna kick me out."

Buffy hung up the phone to Willow dreading what she was about to do next. Three weeks ago, she’d found out she was pregnant. Everyday since then, she’d wanted to tell her mother but always managed to find a way out of it. The only person she’d confided in had been Willow and it was killing her to keep this monumental secret to herself.

Buffy made her way downstairs slowly. Both her mother and Dawn were sitting in the living room watching television, and laughing at some comedy. The sight of them laughing almost made her turn around and march back upstairs. But she was determined not to put it off any longer than she already had. She’d decided to keep this baby and now she had to deal with the consequences.

"Mom?" Buffy started as she entered the living room. "Can I talk to you?"

"Sure, honey." Joyce turned off the television and Dawn stood from the couch, prepared to go upstairs during a conversation she was sure she wasn’t allowed to be present for.

"I need to talk to you, too, Dawn." Dawn froze in her tracks and sat back down as Buffy sat on the chair across from them.

Joyce’s face was creased with worry. The last thing Buffy wanted to do was worry her mother in her delicate condition since she’d been going in and out of hospitals to get rid of the brain tumor they’d found two months ago, but she had to let her secret out.

"What is it, Buffy?" Joyce asked. "Is something wrong?"

Buffy took a deep breath. "Well, it depends on your definition of wrong." She looked down at her clasped hands in her lap. "I’m pregnant," she confessed quietly, not looking up to see the shocked faces of her family.

Joyce was silent. Buffy finally looked up and saw her mother’s mouth hanging open. She quickly closed it. "I’m sorry. I thought I heard you say you’re pregnant."

"I did. I am."

Joyce inhaled sharply. "When did this happen?" she asked evenly trying to control her emotions.

"This summer in L.A."

"I knew it!" Joyce exclaimed angrily. "I knew he couldn’t watch you girls properly. That’s it, you are not going up there next summer. He’ll be lucky if you even go up there once a year!"

"Mom, it’s not Dad’s fault. I lied to him and told him I was staying at a friend’s house when I was really out with a guy I’d met at a club."

Dawn’s eyes widened at this admission. Fortunately for Buffy, she remained silent.

"Well, who is he?" Joyce asked.

Buffy’s eyes lowered again. "I don’t know," she lied. "It was just a one time thing. He was a friend of a friend. I barely knew him."

When Buffy looked up again, Dawn was seated on the couch alone. She could hear her mother crying in the next room, which brought on her own tears. After a moment of sobbing into her hands, Buffy felt two small arms wrap around her. She didn’t have to look up to know it was her sister. As Buffy cried harder, Dawn embraced her tighter.





January 2002

"I’m here to see Hank Summers," Dawn said to her father’s new secretary. She briefly wondered how long it would be before Hank was divorcing Karen and marrying the blonde in front of her.

Ashley, as the sign in front of her indicated, beamed up at Dawn. "Dawn, right?" she asked. When Dawn nodded she continued, "Your father’s been expecting you. He just stepped out with a client but he asked that you wait for him in his office."

Doesn’t look like long at all, Dawn mused, walking away from the overly cheerful employee.

Dawn found her father’s big corner office with its gigantic glass windows that offered a spectacular view of the city. She sat in the large leather chair behind his desk and swivelled it around so she was staring out the windows.

Forgetting she’d left the door open, she was caught off guard when someone rushed into the room. "Hank, I just got off the phone with Parker Abrams. He’s gotten himself into another nasty lawsuit and..."

Dawn turned the chair to face Spike giving him a smirk. Spike stopped mid sentence when he noticed the teenager sitting where he’d thought his boss had been.

"Buffy’s sister, right?"

Dawn rolled her eyes. "Yeah, but I usually go by ‘Dawn’."

Spike’s cheeks flushed a deep red. "Right, sorry."

"So, you and Buffy. You two go way back, huh?"

"You could say that." Spike was beginning to wish he’d never set foot in his boss’ office.

"It’s cool that you guys can be, friends, after all these years." Dawn had to conceal her smile while she watched Spike squirm before her.

Spike just nodded. "I really should be getting back to work..."

"And your girlfriend, what was her name again? Something weird, like.."

"Drusilla," Spike replied through gritted teeth.

"Whatever," Dawn replied casually. "She was nice." Dawn’s tone made it sound like that’s the last thing she thought of Drusilla.

"Yes, thank you. Now if that’s all I really shouldn’t be wasting your father’s money..."

"Don’t worry about my father’s money." Dawn smiled inwardly, a brilliant idea coming into her head. "It’s Buffy’s birthday next week. Dad’s throwing her a big party before we go back home. You should come."

Spike really couldn’t think of a good reason not to. And besides Buffy would be there. "Sure."

"Great!" Dawn exclaimed. "But it’s kind of an intimate thing, so come by yourself. Don’t want to waste my father’s money, right?"