Chapter Nineteen


April 2002



Spike sighed when he saw his answering machine. Eight new messages since he’d left for work that morning. He had a feeling he knew exactly who they were from.

"Hello, my darling William..." Spike cut off the message, cringing as soon as Drusilla’s voice filled the room again.

"Spike’s been a naughty boy..."

"Mummy doesn’t like..."

"Spike’s princess is sad when he’s a bad puppy..."

"Spike! It’s awfully rude of you to keep Mummy waiting!"

"It’s her isn’t it! Miss Edith can see..."

Spike shook his head, deleting the remaining messages without listening to them. "Miss Edith?" he wondered aloud before heading to the shower.



Spike waited outside the door to Buffy’s apartment, arms full of baggage. He hadn’t seen Buffy or Sarah since they left for Florida nearly three months before. As soon as they’d left in January, Spike had started work on an important sexual assault case against one of the firm's top clients, Parker Abrams. It had taken two and a half months to settle the case. Now, he could finally use the vacation time he’d saved over the years.

Spike was beginning to wish he hadn’t insisted on renting his own car. He had too many bags to carry up the four flights of stairs he’d taken to get to Buffy’s apartment. Spike quickly made a mental note to get Buffy an apartment with an elevator.

"Daddy!"

Another object burdened his arms, his daughter. Spike attempted to hug Sarah, failing miserably as his bags flew out of his hands and onto the floor.

Spike saw Buffy coming to his aide, and stood up. Instead of helping him pick up his belongings like he expected, she ran into his arms sending him flying back into the wall behind him.

"I missed you!" she exclaimed, kissing him hard on the mouth.

Spike laughed. "Missed you too, luv."

When Spike’s bags were finally inside the small apartment, he turned back to Sarah."I think I still have one more thing outside," he started with a grin. "Does someone have a birthday coming up?"

Sarah smiled brightly at the mention of a present.

"Spike," Buffy scolded playfully. "Her birthday’s not until tomorrow!"

"I know," Spike replied, walking out the door. "It’s just one of many," he called over his shoulder.

Buffy simply smiled and shook her head. She should have known Spike was going to spoil their daughter rotten.

Spike returned with a golden lab puppy on a leash with a bright, red bow wrapped around it’s neck. He beamed, proud of his present.

"Doggie!" Sarah squealed as the little golden lab yelped.

Buffy’s smile quickly turned into a frown. "A dog?" she asked Spike incredulously. "You got her a dog?"

Spike beamed. "I know, it’s a little outrageous. But if I can’t spoil my only daughter who can I spoil?"

Buffy stood, placing her hands on her hips angrily. "A dog!?" she repeated. "You buy her a dog and you don’t even think to ask me first?!"

Spike frowned. "I didn’t think it was a big deal."

"Of course you didn’t!" Buffy exclaimed. "Because you don’t know that dogs aren’t allowed in our building! Because you didn’t ask me!"

"I think you’re overreacting, pet," Spike tried to reason with her. He quickly realized that was not the right thing to say.

"I am not overreacting!"

Spike rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "Well, there’s not much we can do about it now. Can’t disappoint the little one by taking her new pet away, now can we?"

Buffy glared at Spike. Of course she couldn’t. That was probably his plan the entire time. "Did you even consider that this little puppy will grow into a huge dog?"

Spike remained silent. He actually hadn’t considered that, he’d only wanted the cutest puppy when he’d been in the pet store.

"What am I suppose to do now? Move?"

"You could just hide it for a while," Spike suggested.

"And what do you recommend I do once it’s a full grown dog?"

Spike crossed the distance between them, taking her hands in his. "Then we’ll just have to move into a place that allows dogs."

Buffy’s expression softened slightly as she gazed at their connected hands. Spike smiled, feeling like he’d won, and leaned in to kiss her. Buffy shook her head, remembered that she was still mad at Spike, and pulled out of his grasp before his lips touched hers.

"Hey," Spike protested trying to pull her back towards him.

Buffy shook her head again and headed into the kitchen.



Dinner had been pretty much silent, except for the constant chatter of Dawn and Sarah. Buffy had been giving Spike one-word answers ever since their disagreement over his gift. After dinner, Spike had retreated to the bathroom to take a shower. Now, as he walked around the seemingly empty apartment, he wondered where everyone had disappeared to.

"Buffy?" he called, sticking his head into her room from behind the slightly ajar door. She was sitting up in her bed reading a magazine. She gave no indication of whether or not she'd heard him.

Spike pushed the door open and walked into the dimly lit room. "Where’s Dawn?"

"Out."

Spike raised an eyebrow. They were back to the single word responses. "Where’d she go?"

"Out."

"When will she be back?"

"Later."

Spike sighed at her immature banter. In one fluid movement, he was seated on the bed next to Buffy.

She looked over at him finally. "What are you doing?"

Spike smirked. He lowered his lips to her collarbone and started nibbling the sensitive flesh he found there. "Stuff," he mimicked her earlier answers.

Buffy tried to push him away, but either his grip on her was too strong or she wasn’t putting up much of a fight. "Don’t," Buffy breathed as Spike’s hand found its way underneath her panties. "I’m still mad at you."

"Don’t be." Spike lips trailed a hot path from her neck down to her cotton clad breasts. "I’m sorry, baby. I won’t do it again."

Buffy bucked her hips as Spike slipped a finger between her folds. "You can’t just, uh!" she started panting between words. "Buy her things like-oh!-that without asking me."

"It’ll never happen again," he assured her before capturing her lips with his. Buffy finally relented and let herself respond to his touch.

Spike pushed her discarded magazine to the floor before covering her body with his. Buffy caressed his hard chest with her hands, reveling in the feel of his muscles. It had been too long since she’d been able to touch him. The kiss deepened, both of their tongues dueling for dominance.

Warning bells went off in Buffy’s head when Spike reached between them to pull down her pajama shorts. "Spike," she murmured against his lips. "Spike!" she repeated after she got no response.

"Huh?" he muttered, lowering himself down her body in time with her shorts.

Buffy pushed Spike away before he could attempt to stick his face between her legs. She pulled up her shorts and sprang out of the bed. "We can’t," she told him regretfully.

"Why the hell not?" he asked sitting up and adjusting himself.

Buffy sighed. "Because Sarah’s in the next room and Dawn will be coming home soon." She walked to her closet, pulling out fresh sheets and a pillow. "I’ll make up the couch for you."

"You think Sarah or Dawn will object to me staying in here with you?" Buffy could tell by the tone in Spike’s voice, that he didn’t think that was the case.

"No," she admitted. "But you know as well as I do that no one will be getting any sleep if you stay in here with me."

Spike couldn’t argue with that logic and followed her into the living room.