Chapter Twenty-Two

Spike wanted to call Buffy several times on his flight back to L.A., but every time he went to do so he remembered that they still did not have a solution to their problem. Unless one of them relented - and it wasn’t going to be Spike - they still had things to figure out.

Saying that the ride to the airport with Buffy had been tense would be the understatement of the year. He’d tried to ease the tension with small talk and bad jokes, but it got him nowhere. Instead of the steamy goodbye he’d envisioned, she barely grazed his lips.

We’ll figure something out. He’d left her with that promise, one he intended on keeping.

As he stared out the window of the taxi taking him home, watching the people and buildings whirl by, he felt incredibly discouraged. It seemed as if a higher power was constantly playing games with his relationship with Buffy; as soon as they were remotely happy something would happen to tear that happiness away from them. Now, not only did he have to worry about hurting Buffy, but he had to worry over how things would fare where his daughter was concerned.

Spike sighed, closing his eyes in irritation. What a mess they’d made of things!

As the taxi pulled to a stop in front of his apartment building, Spike quickly climbed out, wanting nothing more than a good night’s sleep, although he doubted he’d be getting one with all the worries plaguing his mind.

His doorman started towards the taxi to help with his luggage, but Spike already had his two suitcases in his hands and was striding towards the door. Nodding his thanks, he walked through the open door, heading straight for the elevator.

But I want to live here, Spike, he mimicked Buffy silently as he waited for the doors to open on his floor. Yeah, move there so I can be unemployed and live off her tips from the kiddie center, he snickered at the thought.

The elevator dinged as the doors opened. Spike rushed through them, wanting only to be inside his apartment where he could sit down and have a drink.

Spike stopped, hearing loud folk music coming from one of the neighboring apartments. He cringed, hoping he wouldn’t be able to hear it after a few drinks. The closer he got to his apartment, the louder the music became which only darkened his mood.

Fitting his key into the hole, Spike could swear the music was coming from inside his apartment. Spike frowned, hoping he wasn’t being robbed but quickly deciding against it. No thief, no matter how crazy, would draw so much attention to themselves.

Before turning the key to unlock the door, Spike tested out the knob realizing that the door wasn’t locked at all. He opened the door slowly and quietly, hoping it was Angel inside and not...

Drusilla.

His looney ex was sprawled out on his couch, wearing nothing but one of his dress shirts. The room, the whole damn apartment seemed to be in disarray. He now regretted giving Drusilla an all access pass to his home. Set on proving that his relationship with Drusilla was what was important after the run-in with Buffy and the whelp he now knew as Faith’s husband at that Italian place, he’d given Dru a key to his apartment. He’d automatically jumped to conclusions about Buffy being in a relationship, and not wanting to get hurt again by her, he’d done something he should have known he’d end up kicking himself for.

When Spike finally found his voice, he asked, "How long have you been here?"

Finally noticing she wasn’t alone in the room, Drusilla looked up at him with a lopsided grin. "Only for a moment."

Spike shook his head, finally stepping all the way into the apartment and shutting the door. The first thing he did was rush over to the stereo to shut off the horrid music she’d been blasting. Then, he came around to stand before her. "Drusilla, you shouldn’t be here."

"Miss Edith told me you’d be needing me on your return home," Drusilla told him, rising from the couch. She stood before him, their bodies so close to touching Spike held his breath to keep from doing so. "My boy needs his mommy now that nasty sunshine’s done playing with him."

Spike wanted to step away from her, he really did, but something held him in place. Her words, although they were insane, had some truth to them. Buffy only wanted him when it was convenient for her. She was trying to turn his world upside down. What sacrifices was she willing to make for him? He was just expected to move across the country for her, but what could he expect from her in return? He hoped he could count on her to be with him, but with their past he had many doubts.

Spike shook his head, as if trying to clear the bothersome thoughts from his mind. He couldn’t think rationally with Drusilla so close to him, so why hadn’t he moved already?

"I’m here for you, my sweet William," she breathed into his ear suggestively. Their bodies were now touching as she pressed herself up against him. "Let Mummy take care of you."

Spike could feel himself giving into her familiar touch, all his problems with Buffy leaving his mind as she nipped at his neck



Buffy threw herself down on the sofa tiredly. After dropping Spike off at the airport, her day had gone by in a daze. She wouldn't cry anymore, when she did she felt useless. She should be figuring out a way for her and Spike to be together. She threw her head against the cushions of the couch, feeling like she was in a losing battle.

As soon as her eyelids closed, the front door to her apartment opened. Sarah and her new puppy, who she decided to name Princess Sparkles of all names, came rushing in, Dawn trailing slowly behind them.

Sarah jumped on the couch next to Buffy. "Mommy, is Daddy coming home soon?"

Buffy looked down at her daughter's hopeful expression. "I hope so sweetie," she answered truthfully.

Dawn, who had just entered the room, heard the exchange and her sister's weary tone. She'd suspected that something was wrong between Buffy and Spike, and made a mental note to talk to her sister after Sarah was asleep. "Come on, Sar." She extended her hand to the child. "Bath time."

As Sarah jumped off the couch, Buffy sent Dawn a grateful smile. Buffy sighed and threw her head back, wishing she could forget about her problems.