Chapter Three



Buffy finally woke up Saturday afternoon around two, tired from the previous night’s activities. She was about to roll over and go back to sleep when her younger sister, Dawn came bouncing into her room.

"Gee, Buffy, sleep much last night?" Dawn asked sarcastically plopping down next to Buffy on the bed.

Buffy groaned. "Dawn, go away!"

"Okay," she started, slowly rising from the bed. She turned back when she reached the door. "I guess that means you don’t want to go shopping with me and Mom?"

Buffy instantly rolled over to face her sister. "Shopping?"



Spike was in a foul mood that afternoon. Not only had he not gotten enough sleep the previous night, but he had also gotten walked out on that morning. And what made it worse was that his friends knew about it thanks to Darla.

After everyone had eaten breakfast and ragged on Spike, they had left the house to explore Sunnydale. Everywhere they went Spike searched the crowd for Buffy. He could kick himself for not getting her number, never mind finding out where she lived or what her last name was.

Now they were at the Sunnydale Mall. Spike’s grim mood lightened slightly. If there was any place in Sunnydale he was likely to run into Buffy it was here.

His friends were talking and laughing, but Spike tuned them out. He concentrated on searching the crowds of teenage girls. Finally he felt a hand on his shoulder. "Face it," Gunn started, a grin spreading over his serious face. "The girl’s disappeared."



"What about this one, Buffy?"

Buffy looked up to see what her mother was holding. "Nah."

Joyce raised an eyebrow. Usually her daughter would be running around the store, trying on everything. But today she seemed more reserved. She was probably just tired from her sleep over with Willow.

Buffy’s eyes widened as she saw a group walk into the store. Two girls leading three bored guys. "Uh, actually. I’ll try that on," Buffy said quickly, grabbing the garment out of her mother’s hand.

Buffy rushed to the fitting room as the group neared her. She went into a stall and collapsed on the chair inside. After a minute she could hear a familiar voice coming from the stall next to her.

"Yeah, I saw her," Darla was saying. "First of all, she looks like she’s sixteen!"

Buffy made a face, but snapped out of it, realizing she is sixteen. Someone laughed in the stall on the other side of her. "Yeah, well Spike certainly is grumpy today."

"She skipped out on him this morning," Darla told Fred. "Angel told me that’s how all Spike’s dates usually end. Except Spike’s usually the one to leave before the girl wakes up."

"The first thing Charles said when he heard this morning was ‘Spike bagged another one’."

Buffy was fuming in her stall. Another one? she thought angrily. Throwing on a big pair of sunglasses and an unneeded sweatshirt she made her way out of the dressing room, not wanting to hear anymore of their gossip. She found her mother and sister still looking through the racks of clothes.

"Did you like it?" Joyce asked.

"Wha-" Buffy remembered the piece of clothing she was supposed to be trying on. "Oh, no. Actually I’m feeling really tired. Me and Willow stayed up late with the girl talk. Can I walk home?"

Joyce put a hand to her daughter’s forehead. "Well, I don’t think you’re sick. But sure, just be careful. We’ll see you at home for dinner."

Buffy hurried herself out of the store before Spike saw her. Luckily there was no sign of the three guys as she ran out of the mall.



"Finally!" Angel exclaimed as Spike walked into Gunn’s house Sunday afternoon.

Spike glared at his friend.

"Where’d you go?"

"Out for a smoke, not that it’s any of your damn business."

"That was a long smoke," Gunn called out from his place in the kitchen.

"You wouldn’t happen to be looking for someone during that smoke? Blonde, hot, yay high." Angel drew a line in the air near his chest.

"No bloody way," Spike scoffed. "What kind of a ponce do you think I am?"

Angel rolled his eyes, thankful that his friend would be getting out of this town. The weekend had been a disaster all because, for some crazy reason, Spike had gotten attached to his one night stand. "Well, let’s go then. I don’t want to hit any traffic."

Spike grabbed his duffel bag from his room and came back out with a scowl on his face. "Ay, ay captain."

Angel rolled his eyes again before they said goodbye to Gunn and Fred. It was going to be a long ride home.



"Hey, Buff," Xander greeted her as she approached their usual table in the cafeteria.

Buffy smiled at her friends. She hadn’t spoken to either of them about Friday night at the Bronze and she hoped to keep it that way. "Hey, guys."

Willow had an anxious gleam in her eyes. "So," she started off slowly. "Did you have a good time at the Bronze the other night?"

"I guess," Buffy said simply. "Did anyone do Mr. Adam’s math homework?"

"You guess?" Willow asked ignoring her comment about homework.

Buffy shrugged. "Yes, I had a good time. Did you?"

Willow again ignored her question. "Give us the details. Like what happened after we left? Did that guy take you home? Did you even go home?" Buffy blushed automatically and Willow’s eyes widened. "You didn’t!"

"Wha-?" Xander asked looking up from his lunch. "What do you mean she didn’t go home?"

"You didn’t?" Willow continued. Buffy avoided eye contact with either of her friends, but her face was an obvious shade of deep red. "Ohmigod! You did!" Willow practically screeched. Buffy happily observed that Xander was still looking confused until Willow blurted out, "You had sex with him!"

Xander started choking on his lunch. Willow patted his back and offered him soda until he stopped coughing. "You what? With who?" he managed eventually.

"Thanks, Wils," Buffy grumbled.

Willow lowered her eyes. "I’m sorry, Buffy. I mean, it’s not everyday your best friend does something this monumental without telling anyone! Not that it’s not good to have secrets. Sure, everybody has secrets." Xander gave her a look. "I’m rambling aren’t I?"

Buffy couldn’t help but laugh. "Just a bit. But you’re right. I should want to share with you guys. I do want to share. I’m share gal!"

"Not that I want any sharey details, but we are talking about that badly bleached blonde, punk rock loving, leather duster wearing guy from the Bronze, right?"

Buffy frowned. "Badly bleached?"

Xander shrugged. "Yes," Willow replied. "So, Buff. What was it like?"

"Wil!"

"Okay, you don’t have to answer that." Willow searched for another question out of the hundreds that were floating around in her head. "How old is he?"

"Twenty-three."

"Twenty-three!" Xander exclaimed. "That’s-that’s illegal! Talk about robbing the cradle!"

"Xander!" Buffy glared at him. "He doesn’t exactly know he ‘robbed the cradle’." Both Willow and Xander gave her a blank look. "I told him I’m eighteen."

Before Xander could say anything to hurt Buffy’s feelings Willow asked, "Where does he live?"

Buffy racked her brain. How could she have forgotten to ask the guy she slept with, the first guy she’d ever slept with, where he was from? "Ac-actually I didn’t really get any specifics."

"O-kay. A telephone number? Anything?" Buffy shook her head sheepishly. "Are you going to see him again?"

"I doubt it," Buffy mumbled. "Especially since I kinda took off the next morning before he woke up."

Willow and Xander sat before her, speechless. Finally, Willow spoke. "Well, I mean, you were probably scared, right?"

"I guess. I mean I didn’t know what to expect. So I thought I’d just make it easier and leave." Buffy told them about Darla and Fred’s conversation in the dressing room. "Oh, well. Buffy sighed. I’ll probably never see him again, anyway."




A/N Thanks to everyone who reviewed, I really appreciate it! Please keep letting me know what you think of the fic!