Chapter Four



Buffy was sulking. She, Xander and Willow were hanging out together for the last time until the end of summer. Due to her parents’ divorce agreement, Buffy and her younger sister Dawn were required to spend their summer vacation in L.A. with their father. Although Buffy would miss her friends, she was also apprehensive about leaving her mother completely alone in Sunnydale. At least her father had a new wife with him in L.A.

"What time are you leaving tomorrow?"

Buffy looked up from her sundae momentarily to answer Willow. "7:30. In the morning!" she replied with a scowl. "First week of summer vacation and I have to get up early," she complained.

"Yeah, but just think of all the good things, like the big library, visiting UCLA, going to museums." Willow stopped when she noticed the looks given by both her friends. "What I meant was all the malls, the clubs and the boys."

Xander nodded with a mouthful of ice cream. "Yeah, and we’ll be in boring old Sunnydale doing the same boring old thing."

Buffy sighed. "I’m gonna miss you guys."

"Aw, we’re gonna miss you too, Buffy," Willow assured her, patting her hand comfortingly. "But you’ll be back before you know it."

Buffy dropped her spoon into her empty dish and stood up. "I guess I should get going. Still have a lot of packing to do." Willow and Xander stood to hug their friend goodbye. "I’ll call you guys from L.A. Have a good summer," she called walking out of the restaurant.



Buffy sighed as her father’s Cadillac pulled up to his new mansion. She was looking foward to spending time with her father, but she had a feeling that wasn’t going to happen. When it came to Hank Summers, business took priority over family.

The three exited the car and Hank began unloading the trunk. Buffy and Dawn exchanged a look as their stepmother ran out of the house.

"Buffy! Dawn!" Donna exclaimed as she approached them. "You two are growing up so fast!" She enveloped each girl in a tight embrace.

And so are you, Buffy thought snidely. Donna was twenty seven and Buffy and Dawn found it hard to take their young stepmother seriously. "Thanks," Buffy said instead.

Hank took all the luggage into the house, and walked down to join his family. He put an arm around Dawn’s shoulders. "Isn’t this great, Don? Having the girls here for the whole summer."

Donna plastered a smile on her face and nodded furiously. "We have so much planned for you girls!"

"Come on, let's get you two settled," Hank suggested turning to walk towards the house.

Buffy and Dawn exchanged another look before following the couple. It was going to be a long summer.



"What do you think of these shorts, Buffy?"

Buffy looked at her sister who had just emerged from the dressing room. She saw her stepmother’s eyes light up in approval, but Buffy shook her head. "Way too short for a twelve year old. Mom would never let you wear them."

Dawn rolled her eyes, but scurried back inside the stall. Donna focused her attention on Buffy. "Are you sure there’s nothing in here you want, Buffy?"

Buffy shook her head. "Nope."

"Oh," Donna replied. "Well I’m sure you’ll find something today."

"Actually, I promised my friend I would buy her a book that they don’t sell in Sunnydale. Can I meet you guys back here after I run to the bookstore?"

"Sure. I’m sure your sister will be in there for a while."

Buffy nodded and made her way out of the clothing store. Having lived in L.A. only a few years earlier, Buffy knew exactly where every store was located. Before she realized it she was standing outside the bookstore. I really must be losing it, she thought to herself heading into the store.

Buffy scanned the various aisles quickly locating the section she was looking for. After finding Willow’s book, she hurried out of the aisle, eager to get back to her shopping and find a new pair of sandals before the day was over. Rushing around the corner she felt herself slam into someone’s hard chest. The impact of the collision sent her sprawling back landing on the carpeted floor of the bookstore.

"Oh, bloody hell!"

Buffy stopped herself from gasping as she heard the frighteningly familiar British accent. Her eyes widened, still looking at the ground but too afraid to look up. As soon as she did her fears were answered. Wanting nothing more than to leave the store before he had a chance to remember who she was, she quickly said, "Sorry, I wasn’t looking where I was going," and tried to rush past him. But not before she saw a look of realization pass through his blue eyes.

"Do I know you?" he asked, although he’d already placed her.

"Um, I don’t think so." Buffy tried to sound carefree, the total opposite of what she was feeling. She tried to walk away from him again, but he was blocking her exit.

"Buffy? Is that you?" he asked her quietly, the hurt obvious in his voice.

Buffy nodded sheepishly. "Hi, Spike." Her eyes finally met his. She saw them go from a pained expression to a very angry one.

"What the hell happened to you?" he asked angrily. "You just take off before I wake up, no note or message, and I never see you again!"

Buffy lowered her gaze to the floor, avoiding eye contact. "I’m sorry I didn’t know what to do, I just got scared." She lowered her voice so it was barely audible. "I’ve never done that before."

Spike strained to hear her last comment. "Never left before a bloke even woke up?" he asked sarcastically.

"That too." She rose her eyes to meet his again, and he could see what she was trying to tell him.

Spike’s anger melted away with one look into her vulnerable eyes. "Oh," was all he could bring himself to say. He felt like a jerk, even though she’d been the one who’d left him. Even though he had no way of knowing he’d taken her virginity that night. "I’m sorry, I didn’t know."

"It’s my fault. I shouldn’t have reacted that way." For the first time Buffy realized the strangeness of them meeting like this in a completely different city. "What are you doing here anyway?"

Spike quickly remembered what he’d been doing before he’d bumped into Buffy. "I’m getting a book for my boss. I’ve been gone a pretty long time though, I should be getting back." He ripped out the last page from the book he was holding and took a pen from his suit pocket. "I’d like to see you again, Buffy."

Buffy couldn’t believe her luck. Running out on the handsome stranger and he still wanted to go out with her! "Sure, I’d like that too."

Spike handed her the paper and pen and she wrote down her phone number. "Great," he smiled as she handed it back to him. "I’ll give you a call tonight."

Buffy beamed up at him before he dashed out of the bookstore. I can’t wait!