Chapter Nine



"...and then after the movie we went back to his place..." Buffy let her voice trail off to a dreamy sigh.

Willow giggled on the other end of the line. "And your dad is okay with you spending the night at Spike’s?"

Buffy cleared her throat. "Not exactly," she admitted. "He thinks I was sleeping over Faith’s." She looked over at the clock on her night stand. "Anyway, I’ve still got twenty five minutes before I have to start getting ready. We’re going to a bonfire with his friends tonight."

"Are you nervous about meeting his friends?"

"Well, now that you mention it, yeah!" Buffy exclaimed. "Not only do they know I ran out on him in Sunnydale, but they're all older than he is. I’m going to have nothing in common with any of them!"

"Except for Spike," Willow pointed out. "I wouldn’t worry, Buffy. I’m sure you’re going to have a great time tonight."

"Thanks, Wills. God, listen to me I’ve been talking about myself the whole time. How’s your love life going?"

"Well now that you mention it..."

"Willow Rosenberg! Don’t tell me you and Xander finally hooked up?"

"No, but Xander has hooked up with someone else. Someone tall, brunette, and tactless."

Buffy gasped. "No way! Xander and Cordelia? How did that happen?"

"They were assigned to work together in the library for some history project. I was helping Mr. Giles, the librarian, put some books away when I sorta stumbled upon them making out in the stacks."

"Aw, Will, I’m sorry. That must have been hard for you to see." Buffy paused, remembering her friend's words just minutes before. "But wait, I thought you said you had something going on?"

"I do!" Willow responded excitedly. "His name is Oz and he’s going to be a senior next year. He’s the lead guitarist for the band ‘Dingoes Ate my Baby’ that plays at the Bronze sometimes."

"That’s great, Will! If anyone deserves a good, stable guy it’s you." Buffy looked over at the clock again. "Oh, shit! I have to start getting ready. I’ll call you tomorrow and I want more details!"



Buffy tried to hide her nervousness as she followed Spike down the beach. She couldn’t even imagine what his friends thought of her, especially after what she’d overheard Darla and Fred saying that day in Sunnydale. They must think of her as just another one of Spike’s many one-night stands. A pang of jealousy ran through her as she thought of Spike being with other women, but she reminded herself that what they had was different.

Spike, however, couldn’t contain his practically giddy state. His friends were finally going to meet Buffy, the only woman who’d ever left him wanting more. And after they met her, they were surely going to love her immediately. Maybe then they would stop making jokes at his expense about that night in Sunnydale.

"William," Angel greeted him as the couple neared the group.

Spike tried to scowl at the use of his given name, but was in much too good a mood to be bothered by Angel’s teasing. "Nice to see you too, Peaches." He turned his attention to the others. "Guys, this is Buffy," he introduced them. "Buffy, this is everyone."

Darla stepped foward rolling her eyes at Spike’s lame introduction. Although she hadn’t been part of the group long she’d quickly made herself a permanent fixture. "I’m Darla," she clarified. "But we already sorta met."

Buffy blushed a deep red. "Yeah, about that-"

"No need to explain. I’ve seen Spike in the morning, it’s not a pretty sight," she teased earning a laugh from everyone else and a ‘hey ’ from Spike. "Anyway, this is Angel," she introduced the tall brunette with his arm around her waist. "And this is Fred and Gunn. They just moved here from Sunnydale. Isn’t that where you’re from?"

Buffy palms started sweating. She definitely did not want to talk about herself. "Yeah," she answered quickly. "And where are you from?"

"Actually I’m originally from New York," Darla started. Buffy sighed with relief as Darla began talking animatedly about the various places she’d lived. She hoped she could keep the conversation off herself tonight, she really didn’t need Darla to get suspicious. "...and then I moved to San Diego with my brother..."



Spike waited until Buffy was refilling her drink before asking for his friends’ opinions. He hoped they were positive or else he’d have to get himself some new friends. Don’t be stupid, Spike, he warned himself. She told you herself, this is nothing more than a summer fling.

"So, what do you think?"

"She’s very sweet," Fred told him with a smile.

Spike was looking at Darla; her opinion was what he was really after. She was the only one he trusted to be completely honest about Buffy. Darla seemed to contemplate what she was going to say. Finally, when Spike felt like he was going to die from curiosity, she said, "She’s a lot cooler than I expected, based on my first impression of her. Definitely a keeper."

Spike beamed. It wasn’t often he acted like such a love struck fool, but he just couldn’t help himself. He was ecstatic at Darla’s review.

Angel cleared his throat. "What Darla means is that she’s a good girl to have a great summer with." Spike had told him how Buffy wanted to keep their relationship limited to this summer, and Angel didn’t want to see his friend hurt come the end of August.

"Right," Darla quickly amended.

"We’ll see about that, now won’t we." Spike looked over to where Buffy stood, trapped in conversation with Angel’s cousin, Harmony Kendall. "I’m gonna marry that girl," he said quietly, barely aware that the words had crossed his lips.

Jaws dropped at the admission. They were all very aware that Buffy would be leaving L.A. and Spike at the end of the summer. Darla was the only one able to find her voice. "Oh, gross," she tried to joke. "You can do way better than Harmony!" She attempted to laugh, but stopped when she realized no one else thought it was funny. That, or they weren’t even paying attention to her.

"Uh, Spike," Gunn started when his vocal cords were finally able to produce sound. "Buffy’s a great girl and all, but don’t you think it’s a little too soon to be thinking about the big ‘M’?"

Spike chuckled. "Of course it’s too early, are you daft?" He looked at his friends like they were insane. "I was thinking more along the lines of a couple‘a years from now."

That didn’t give his friends much relief. They all started preparing for the inevitable, hoping Spike wouldn’t be the gigantic mess he had been after Buffy left him the first time. Unfortunately they all knew he’d be worse. Much worse.



Buffy giggled against Spike’s chest. She was having a great time with his friends, and had consumed one too many wine coolers with Darla and Fred. "I’m turning into a complete luch...lusk...leech? Whoever, I’m drunk again. Oh, where are we going?" Buffy asked, sounding like a small child as Spike led her away from the bonfire, his arm protectively around her shoulders.

"Time for a little privacy."

"Sounds good to me!" Buffy replied cheerfully.

When they finally stopped, Buffy took in her surroundings. Spike had taken off his sweatshirt and put it on the sand next to two large rocks that separated them from the party. He sat down on his sweatshirt and motioned for her to sit between his legs. Buffy smiled coquettishly and instead straddled his legs, wrapping her arms around his neck.

Spike smiled up at her. "Buffy want to play?" he asked innocently while cupping her ass with both hands and pushing her against his chest.

"Buffy want you," she replied bringing her lips to his in a passionate kiss.

The force of her kiss taking him by surprise, Spike fell back against the cool sand. Buffy broke the kiss and giggled again. She was now hovering over him on her hands and knees. "Oops."

God, she is amazing, he thought as he gazed up at her.

Buffy sat back against his stomach. "I bet you take all the girls here."

"Actually I come here to get away from all the girls," he told her honestly. "This spot is reserved for the woman I-"

"Buffy!" Darla’s squeal cut him off. "I’ve been looking for you everywhere!"

Spike gulped down the lump that had formed in his throat. What was he thinking. Thank God Darla had showed up when she did! What he was just going to say...

Buffy leaned down to kiss him quickly before jumping up.

"Bad Spike. Not nice to keep Buffy all to yourself! You get to see her everyday!" Darla reprimanded him through her drunken stupor. "We," she pointed between Buffy and herself, "have some more drinking and girl talk to do."

Spike stood, picking up his sweatshirt in the process, and started walking after the giggling duo. He groaned out loud, thankful that no one was around to hear. Oh, bloody hell he cursed inwardly. This sort of thing wasn’t supposed to happen to him He knew he shouldn’t get so attached to the petite blonde, but he found it very hard not to. I can’t help it, he defended himself...to himself. I’m in love with her.