Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N Let me know what you think! I need feedback!!!
Chapter One

“Damn Dundee demons, “ Buffy shook some stringy slime off her shirtsleeve.

She was headed home, covered in a yellow, undulating slime that seemed to still be alive, even though it had already left the body of it’s former owner. She shrugged.

“Florescent yellow doesn’t suit you, love. Maybe something in a teal?”

She stopped and closed her eyes, dreading this encounter. “Why are you following me Spike?”

He stepped out from behind the tree next to her and smirked. “Needed some smokes, Slayer. Not everything has to be about you.”

She started walking again, not paying attention to him. Buffy could feel him still there, following her at her heels. She stopped again. “What, Spike?”

“Headed to my crypt, not following you.” He lit a cigarette and headed across the street. “Bitch.”

Shaking her head, Buffy turned the corner and walked home, the slapping sounds of slime hitting concrete every few feet.


Showered and changed, Buffy headed to the kitchen for a late night snack, careful not to raise her mother by making loud noises. Sticking a bag of popcorn in the microwave, she walked over and picked up the phone to call Giles, to tell him about patrol, and let him know that the crisis had been averted.

The phone rang three times and a stuttering Giles answered. “H-h-hello?”

Buffy sighed, planting her ass on a barstool. “Giles, it’s me.”

“Buffy! Did you take care of the Denedi demon?”

“Oh, yeah. Did I ever mention that you need to tell me that when something’s going to explode, you know, cause I hit it with the sword and BAM—covered in something like the guts of a yellow squash!”

“I’m sorry Buffy. But you did save the head, right?” She heard him hold his breath.

“Not unless you want me to peel it off the halter I had to throw in the trash, no.”

“Oh, dear.” Glasses were being cleaned on the other end of the line. She grabbed her popcorn out of the microwave and into a bowl, bracing herself for the lecture to come.

“Spill, Giles. What’s the what?” She started eating.

“Buffy. Where to start? Uh, I guess I should start by telling you that after you left my flat to patrol, Willow and I unearthed more information about the prophecy that involved the Denedi we didn’t know about.”

She looked down at her bowl, not liking where this was going.

“Alright, so now what? The world is gonna end?” She browsed the bowl for extra buttery pieces.

“Uh, well, I think you should come over right away. We need to tell you this in –well, rather, in person, I think.” Those glasses are probably the wrong prescription by now, she thought to herself.

“Just tell me Giles, I’m sure I can handle it.” She reached over the island for a paper towel off the roll.

He sighed, loud and long. “Well, it seems that you needed the head so we could make an antidote for your condition.”

“Condition?” She abandoned the popcorn for a minute.

“The slime, as you so succinctly put it, was a potion of sorts. You see, the uh, blood of the Denedi causes the bearer to see things for what they really are, through spells—“

She smiled, “Cool! That’s not so bad!”

“No, Buffy, the last part of the prophecy talks about ‘one girl in all the world that will bring about the end with darkness that surrounds her’.” He paused. “We don’t know much more than that.”

“Much more?”

“Well, there’s talk of a child, and another part about something being brought to life with the blood of another, and some other nonsense I have yet to understand, but that Anya says it translates into ‘love of a life-eater’.” Another long pause. “I’m thinking a vampire.”

She stopped for a minute. ”Vampire. Like Angel.”

“I’m not sure, we’ll know more in the morning, I’m sure.”

“All right, I’ll be over first thing. Thanks, Giles.” She hung up. More vamps to complicate her life?

Vampires? Damn.


The morning light came streaming in her windows, making little blind patterns on her walls and bedspread. She opened her eyes and lay there, listening to the birds in the trees, chirping away nicely. She stretched her arms, yawning. Sitting up, she reached over and grabbed the glass of water she had brought to her nightstand last night to take a sip, before she started her day. Raising it to her mouth, she saw that it had turned green, with stringy black tendrils of something nasty floating in it.

Instantly, it dropped from her hand and fell to the ground, smashing and splashing. “Damn!” She climbed to the bottom of her bed and walked quickly to the door, pausing only to gauge the mess behind her.

Bouncing unhappily downstairs, she noticed the pictures she passed were in terrible need of dusting, for they were almost covered. “Mom?” She waited and continued walking to the kitchen.

She entered and her mother turned around from the sink. “Buffy? What happened? Did something fall? I thought I heard something fall.” Buffy started backing away as she raised her hand to her mouth in horror. In her mother’s place, speaking with her voice, was some-- she turned and ran to the front door, heading for the only place where she could make sense of the whole thing.


In her shorts and baby tee shirt she had worn to bed, she knocked on his door, trembling in earnest. He answered, in sleep pants, no less.

“Buffy, “ he said, still adjusting his glasses to his face, “is something the matter?” He saw the look upon her face and basically drug her in by her elbow. :”What is the matter, Buffy? You look like you’ve seen a ghost!”

She walked into his kitchen and grabbed the brandy off the counter, not bothering with a glass and walked to his couch.

“Buffy?” He gingerly approached her, carefully, not knowing what to expect.

She downed a couple of shots of the amber liquid, after each squinching her face in the most adorable way. Still not talking.

“I take it the Denedi blood has caused some after effects?” He waited. She looked at him pointedly, swigging some more.

“All right, then I think you need to tell me about your experiences this morning, why you are here in your pajamas, and anything else that may help me in figuring out a way to help you.” The phone rang, and Buffy drank even more down. “Just a moment, let me get that.”

“Hello? Yes, she’s here. Something happened to her last night on patrol and we’re working on it, don’t worry Joyce.” Buffy’s eyes widened in absolute terror and she shook her head profusely. “She’s in the restroom right now cleaning up,” taking Buffy ‘s cue, “yes, I am sure some clothes would be wonderful, she’ll need them sooner or later. All right see you in a moment. Good bye.”

Buffy set the bottle down on his coffee table and headed for the bathroom. “Buffy, what is wrong? I thought you’d be happy to see your mother.”

As she walked into the bathroom, he quietly heard her reply before the door shut. “That thing is not my mother.”